PDA

View Full Version : panning vs. foiling for competitions?

rookiedad
08-15-2013, 09:15 AM
for those who have done both, is there a significant time difference until reaching doneness if time and temperature at foiling are relatively the same? also is there a difference bark retention or loss or any difference to flavor? i have been unhappy with foiling lately and am thinking of panning with a foil cover. thanks.

early mornin' smokin'
08-15-2013, 09:49 AM
i'm not a foil guy, the bark get's mushy. If you run your cooker around 250 a pan will do you well, and you shouldn't have to foil it. keeps the cooker a lot cleaner too

Sawdustguy
08-15-2013, 09:55 AM
for those who have done both, is there a significant time difference until reaching doneness if time and temperature at foiling are relatively the same? also is there a difference bark retention or loss or any difference to flavor? i have been unhappy with foiling lately and am thinking of panning with a foil cover. thanks.

Whats the difference between foiling and putting it in an aluminum pan and covering it with foil? It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of difference between the two.

Ford
08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Time and bark not a difference. Some say foil concentrates flavors of additives better, completely surrounding the meat. For ribs I agree with them.

Q-Dat
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
When I pan my brisket bark side up, it still gets soft but with proper handling I can keep it intact and then re set it on the cooker before slicing.

When I foil I end up losing a good bit of it from the foil contacting the bark.

jelser
08-15-2013, 01:36 PM
I cook in pans on both pork and brisket. I haven't notice any difference on the pork but I have noticed a difference on the brisket. If I foil over a pan, I get a hard bark, sometimes it's too tough like a thin layer of beef jerky. If I take it out of the pan and then foil it, the bark is much better. I don't know why, maybe it's the air gap on the pan/foil.