PDA

View Full Version : The Jack as a Spectator

mobow
08-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Is the Jack Spectator friendly or is it mainly a event for the competitors? Keith

Bentley
08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
It is like others from the stand point of being able to wander around and see the teams. Starting Friday they have a pretty good assortment of vendors selling lots of different things. To me a BBQ competition is like watching paint dry if you are not competing, but I would say with the Distillery there and the available tour, a visit to the Competition would give you things to do!

Smoke'n Ice
08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Ride the horse drawn buggy tour of the town and visit Jack's grave. Go to Miss Bobo's, visit with folks you know, explore the town, watch them judge, watch the awards, it could be exciting.

TRS
08-14-2013, 06:15 PM
No problem to spend an easy day there but not much more than that. Lynchburg population approx 1200 residents year round, weekend of the Jack there are approx 30,000 people there Friday and Saturday.
Lynchburg really nothing more than a very small southern town square. The free distillery tour is great but again the weekend of the Jack everything is crowded. Town square has shops a couple restaurants. BBQ teams are set up behind the square. Pro teams, international teams then in the back shadetree teams. Food vendors and other vendors are set up behind the square also.
You can walk around and see all the teams and their sites but most are very busy Saturday and just taking care of business until turn ins.
Again, Lynchburg is just a town square and the distillery. Best bet if you go is to park at the high school. Parking is $10.00 which supports the school and they have buses that shuttle you to the town square and back all day. Very hard to find parking in town and crowded. The buses are nice (greyhound type buses with AC). School located approx a mile or so outside of town. The town square is closed off to all cars for the weekend.
We live approx 60 miles from Lynchburg and attend every year as spectators. The Barrel Shop is nice and the Jack General Store is 2 stories of Jack "stuff".
No place to stay in Lynchburg but towns close are Pulaski, Shelbyville, Tullahoma and Fayetville but you would have needed to make reservations by now at any motels. Nashville approx 75 miles from Lynchburg and not a bad drive.
Its easy to spend 6-7 hrs there, including the distillery tour but not much more unless you stick around for the judging.
Lynchburg is in a dry county also. No beer or liquor sold in the county. You can buy "collector bottles" of Jack at the distillery only but they are really collectors bottles not bottles available in liquor stores.
Nice trip if you have never been. If you go to Lynchburg any other time of the year besides the Jack and Christmas time, you will probably see less than 100 people while you are there, Saturday of the Jack, 30,000 converge on the town! BBQ madness!

mobow
08-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanx for the info. I have always found comps to be a bit of a bore unless I am cooking, judging or know some of the teams pretty well. The 25th is my birthday and I am debating a road trip (which I love) or to cook a comp that weekend. Keith

ThomEmery
08-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Went a few years ago to see it
We really enjoyed the trip

GT-Q
08-14-2013, 10:11 PM
The Jack was the first Comp I ever attended. I also got my first taste of a seriously good rib there. It was eye opening.

CBQ
08-14-2013, 10:46 PM
We went in 2011 as spectators after we won our first auto (which qualified us for the following year) and had a good time. Trying vendors, visiting the NEBS teams, walking around town, visiting the barrel shop, eating at Mrs. Mary Bobos (hint: reserve now before The Draw), going on the distillery tour, getting laser engraved bottles in the bottle shop, etc. was all fun and new to us.

We had a good time, and it is also prepared us for when we went to compete the following year. (I probably would not have ordered a barrel head if I hadn't seen how people used them.) We were also there to see our friends from Smokin' Hoggz win it all.

I had a better time than I thought I would, was well worth it.

BMerrill
08-15-2013, 09:41 AM
There as a competitor last year. My son wants us to return this year as spectators. There is a lot to see and do as others have commented above, as a competitor you miss most of it. Just not enough time. We recently became members of the Jack Daniel's Tennessee Squire Association. Looking forward to enjoying some of those benefits while we are there.

Pigs on Fire
08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
I am not sure I'd say that traveling from MO would be worth it, but I suspect it's a better contest to spectate at versus the Royal....what can I say...I'm a southerner and I enjoy being in the woods versus the asphalt jungle.

There is plenty to see and do at The Jack. 90 or so teams and their layouts, all sorts of vendors, a good bit of stuff to do for the kids, etc.

I made the mistake of finally going in 2009. It was an impulse decision. We got up Saturday morning, the local news was talking about that was what was going on that day and we got in the car and drove up. Next thing you know, I'm doing the comp BBQ thing.

Ford
08-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Thursdays the day to be there. Most teams are there and have time to visit. Square isn't too buy and if you reserve now you may get in at Miss Mary Bobo's for lunch. Book now. You'll probably be staying 20 to 40 miles away. Friday still good to visit. Saturday it's a zoo. Teams put out hogs after turn in and it's all gone in 15 minutes.

drbbq
08-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Yeah, what Ford said! Thursday and Friday you'll find the teams wandering around the square and just hanging around at their sites so it's easy and fun to visit with them. Friday evening and Saturday it gets real serious so you'll just be hanging around with the tourists.

Lake Dogs
08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
I think it is much better to be a Jack Spectator than it would be to be a Spec Jacktator.

Scottie
08-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Yeah, what Ford said! Thursday and Friday you'll find the teams wandering around the square and just hanging around at their sites so it's easy and fun to visit with them. Friday evening and Saturday it gets real serious so you'll just be hanging around with the tourists.

Are you and Sandy coming up? I could get you a team badge.. :-P

drbbq
08-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Maybe. I've been loved there and hated there but these days they may not recognize me :)

KingRanch450
08-16-2013, 07:16 AM
I appreciate you posting this topic...I was just talking to my wife yesterday about a trip to Nashville and driving down to the Jack for a day and we were wondering the same thing.

CBQ
08-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Maybe. I've been loved there and hated there but these days they may not recognize me :)

WE recognized you, chatted with you in the bottle shop last year. :becky:

drbbq
08-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I haven't been in a few years. You sure that wasn't Paul Kirk? :)

ThomEmery
08-16-2013, 11:25 AM
LOL Ray

Scottie
08-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Bring a banner, Ray! I lost mine... :-P

drbbq
08-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Bring a banner, Ray! I lost mine... :-P

Haha, just call and they'll get you one. You can just tell them what you won.