PDA

View Full Version : SmACk TaWK What you think?

problitz130
08-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Was just wondering if You guys could tell us what is the best and worst things you have ever encountered at a bbq competition and what you would like to see at them.

Teamfour
08-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Are you looking for things that are under the control of the organizer or reps? I have seen horrendous weather but can't complain about mother nature.

Garrett
08-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I would like to stop all weather above 75 and below 50, no rain, no wind, and no loud party people.

Q-Dat
08-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Worst thing about contests by far for me is people who like loud music and have no respect for the eardrums of others.

Best thing is being around other folks that love this stuff as much as I do.

Theresa B
08-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I love almost everything...planning, purchasing, scheduling, setting up, prepping, cooking, the adrenalin before turn ins, the friendly ribbing from your new BBQ friends. What I don't like...pack out and the usual long drive home!

CivilWarBBQ
08-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I think you need to be more specific in your question. You've posed too broad an inquiry - what exactly are you getting at? Organizer critique, team behavior, judging, public, ???

GT-Q
08-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Best ever was a contest where we got to set up under a large pavilion on concrete! Worst was a contest where the turn in times changed mid cook.

Smokin'Butts
08-11-2013, 07:51 PM
WOW:crazy: What were they thinking??!?!?!?!?!?

Best ever was a contest where we got to set up under a large pavilion on concrete! Worst was a contest where the turn in times changed mid cook.

K-Train
08-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Worst thing? This last weekend a team near us decided 2am was a great time to start telling stories in their loudest voices. Honestly most of our experiences have been pretty good.

MikeJ65
08-11-2013, 08:37 PM
A couple of mine:

Waiting until 4:00 for awards when the final turn-in was at 1:00 and it is about 95 deg. and there is no shade and we had to wait for a really crappy band to finish.

Having to wait about an hour and a half to get my truck in to hook up the trailer because the 'road' is a sidewalk and no driving on the grass.

Q-Dat
08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Oh another bad one is when its past time for awards and the band(usually terrible) won't wrap it up.

And why is it that the worse a band sounds, the louder they play?

Bentley
08-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Sloppy drunk competitors...into which category I fell the 1st 3 years of my competition life...late awards, and then thanking everyone down to the local dog catcher!

Jacked UP BBQ
08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
I would like ass holes to stop messing with our gurus and stokers just because they are jealous and we are sleeping in a hotel. They got me so good today my pork was raw at 7am and got a 180!

GT-Q
08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
It was a turn in time change for backyard shortly after the thing started. We all adjusted ok, but it was still annoying.

JeffR
08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
I would like ass holes to stop messing with our gurus and stokers just because they are jealous and we are sleeping in a hotel. They got me so good today my pork was raw at 7am and got a 180!

Seriously ?

sdbbq1234
08-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I love almost everything...planning, purchasing, scheduling, setting up, prepping, cooking, the adrenalin before turn ins, the friendly ribbing from your new BBQ friends. What I don't like...pack out and the usual long drive home!

Bummer. I liked everything you said until packing up as I was going to "invite" you to help us. :becky:

wallace

rksylves
08-13-2013, 06:15 AM
The absolute WORST was Palm Beach Gardens back in 2009. Back then I was under the EZ-Up with WSMs and sleeping in the bed of the truck under the truck topper. I entered the comp and got all set up. Was really concentrating on my work as I was brand new to comps.

Directly across the me was this guy who came in a HUGE motor coach, pulling a smoker trailer that looked just like a real smokehouse. He brought along this ~10 foot tall cartoon gorilla statue and all sorts of other crap. He immediately set up a commercial grade bubble machine that started continously spitting out bubbles. Of course the wind was blowing right in my direction.

Later that afternoon, he set up a complete aluminum girder system in front of his coach that had all sorts of commercial grade stage lighting and a sound system that most nightclubs don't have. Found out later that all of this was for his daughter's birthday party.

Sure enough, about 7:00 he fires up this whole thing and the party started. It ran until about 2:00am with HUNDREDS of people attending. Of course the contest organizers were LONG GONE back to their hotel.

When I got up at about 4:00 to do ribs, my truck was covered in beer bottles and cans. My sideview mirrors were pushed in. The tables under the EZ-Up were covered in trash and more beer bottles/cans. Needless to say I was extremely pissed off.

I guess he felt pretty bad because late rin the morning he came over with a homemade egg/biscuit to give to me. I did thank him for it but I wasn't in any mood to be hospitable and I think he got the message.

Long story short, he only entered in the rib category AND GOT DQ'D from that, so at least a small payback. I've got a picture somewhere of his setup.

Russ

Lake Dogs
08-13-2013, 06:34 AM
I enjoy B.S.ing with fellow competitors, judges, even the casual passerby... I enjoy the competition itself. I enjoy the planning, the prep, and actually doing it.

I dont enjoy the camp set-up nor the camp take-down, and I really dont care for clean up much...

Unsanctioned competitions tend to bring on all types of willy-nilly. I've had them change turn-in times on me mid-cook, and I've had them change the definition of the meat the morning of the cook, and lets not even talk about the lack of judging criteria or standards... I no longer cook in unsanctioned competitions.

Fat Freddy
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
I did a contest where a big "local" team was all set up in their spot. They put their trailer door right on the boundary so that if the team next to them parked like they were supposed to( we were 2 down) then the local team would not be able to get in and out of their trailer. Fortunately for the team next to us I had plenty of room so was asked to move over a few feet. The team next to me, fellow brethren IowaWildHogs, also paid for extra room but the local team decided to have all their friends come over for a party and the party was honestly sitting under his canopy as well as their entire area. The people from this party that was smoking cigarettes would leave from the party area and come over to our area, that we paid for, and smoke. Wife and I are not smokers, these people would throw their butts all over our area. And the local team brought all their kids, which is fine, but these kids would ride their bikes and scooters through everyones site, including ours, knocking stuff off our table when they would run into stuff.

Something was said to the organizer, and this was a well known contest, and I dont know if because it was a local team they would do much or what except to say they will be in a different spot next year. Heck even local cops were over off duty in the party and those on duty stopping by to say hi. Now kinda makes me wonder if a cop was on the team.

With all that though it was still my best contest to date, so I say if I can have those results everytime these folks are welcome next to me at every one of my future contests.

Slamdunkpro
08-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Here ya go (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Trail-Cameras-Feeders/Trail-Cameras-Accessories|/pc/104791680/c/104767380/sc/103867380/Wildgame-Innovations-50-W5E-Micro-Camera/1355114.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fhunt ing-scouting-feeders-trail-cameras%2F_%2FN-1100176%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3 Dgoogle|opt_Cameras_Scouting%2BTrail%2BCameras_2|U SA%26rid%3D20%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D%26gclid%3DCJSsqYzP-rgCFWZk7AodRSsAKw%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat103867380)

Kave Dweller
08-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Neighbors. They make or break comps for me. I've parked next to the worst and the best.

That said, as far as organizers go, slow to inspect your meat gets my dander up.