PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina

Baldum
08-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Hey all,

I'm in Hilton Head for 5 days and I don't want to miss the opportunity of having authentic SC 'que. I'm assuming the island isn't the place to get it. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm willing to drive up to an hour for some delectable food. Let me know! I'd love to go on an adventure

rustnbbq
08-11-2013, 09:04 AM
It's more than an hour away (more like two) but the bbq house in New Ellenton, SC called "Carolina BBQ" is the best I have eaten for 30 years. Less than 10 bucks for all you can eat, includes beverage and tax.

Great Q, good sauces, homemade (served while still warm) potato salad, excellent slaw, homemade pickles, and the best of all, Hush Puppies. Yes, I know hush puppies are usually reserved for seafood, but these are the best hush puppies on the planet. Yes, ON THE PLANET. I've never anywhere had any better, ever!

https://plus.google.com/113576508835915190570/about?gl=us&hl=en

PS, open Weds for lunch, then all day Thur, Fri, Sat.

coastal
08-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Hey all,

I'm in Hilton Head for 5 days and I don't want to miss the opportunity of having authentic SC 'que. I'm assuming the island isn't the place to get it. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm willing to drive up to an hour for some delectable food. Let me know! I'd love to go on an adventure

Hilton Head Local Here.

The best is Bluffton, BBQ http://blufftonbbq.com/
Has the most authentic feel
Near old town bluffton
Old town BLuffton is about 20 minutes from HHI not far off 278.
Here is a youtbue video of Ted the owner
Bluffton BBQ 1.mov - YouTube

Smokehouse is good to but has more of a tourist chain feel to it. They used to be a dining care but bought out the lease on the Sticky Fingers that closed a few years ago to move into a big restaurant.
http://smokehousehhi.com/
On the south end of the island near seapines circle towards the toll road

Bullies BBQ in center island has a little side building next to a gas station. He is orginally from SC but had a restaurant in Medina Ohio for years(it is still open) and has expanded back into SC.
He has some of the best sauces you will find around IMO. Brisket is not worth it but his chicken and pork are good
http://www.bulliesbbq.com/

Also check out the Bluffon Farmers market if you are here on thursday.
Its every thursday and have several stands that sell homeade sauces, a couple bbq tents etc..
http://www.bulliesbbq.com/

One hot mammas was a finalist for the next top food network star a year or two ago. She makes pretty good ribs but its not a typical bbq joint imo
http://www.onehotmamas.com/

About 30 minutes away Dukes BBQ just returned to Beaufort but they have been running out of food like crazy.
It probably wont be open again til thursday or friday
https://www.facebook.com/dukesbbqbftsc

If you do make it to beaufort check out the water front park in downtown

Some other things you might like.
Charbar has good gourmet burgers- the chef there broke off from celebrate chef robert irvin

Get Fresh shrimp off the dock at Benny Hudsens to make at your condo

Sea Shack for lunch- fresh fish at a good price

Baldum
08-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up going to Bullies based on what a could find on the 'net before I got these replies. Ended up being pretty good. The beans were spot on, but you're right. The brisket, while tender and full of flavor, was cut too thin for my tastes. I'll be sure to check some of these places out

coastal
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I ended up going to Bullies based on what a could find on the 'net before I got these replies. Ended up being pretty good. The beans were spot on, but you're right. The brisket, while tender and full of flavor, was cut too thin for my tastes. I'll be sure to check some of these places out

Hope you tried all the sauces at bullies. The mustard base could be better but the others are great imo. I love a couple of his thin sauces.

If you go to smokehouse. Its all pretty good and is good for a family. Its a former joint turned into big time sells..so as you can imagine some short cuts have been made to keep up with demand but its still good. The make a great dry rib. Get a combo with 3 meats or so

Bluffton bbq stick with the pork. But his ribs are decent too. Bit of a kick to them.

Dukes a big buffet style place so you can try everything. Its in a crappy empty shopping center next to the regions bank building in beaufort. The net might not have a adress yet so regions is 69 robert smalls parkway beaufort 29906. But like I said they are urually only open thursday and friday

Baldum
08-11-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm going to hit Bluffton tomorrow. I might be able to catch Dukes on Thursday, my plane leaves at 6:45. I'm here for a conference, but I'm not gonna go to too many presentation ;). Probably going to the farmer's market too and picking up shrimp tomorrow. Bullies has cheap pork by the pound on Tuesday so I'm picking that up. I actually thought the SC thin was a bit peppery. I recently had a fantastic one in CO that just enhanced the meat flavor rather than masking it. The best kind of sauce!

Jhobbs1
08-12-2013, 07:51 AM
The duke's in Beaufort is brand-spanking new location. I went to the Charleston, SC location, run by the same family and it was great! I will say the Charleston shop is small and although big enough, there isn't the room to have a buffet with a lot of items.

On Burnt Church Road in Bluffton, there is an old railroad car that serves. I've just discovered what it actually was and don't know much about it.

Bluffton BBQ--meh
Q on Bay I like in Beaufort
Sgt White's is good in beaufort
Jim n Nick's Bluffton is ok, but its a chain.

coastal
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm going to hit Bluffton tomorrow. I might be able to catch Dukes on Thursday, my plane leaves at 6:45. I'm here for a conference, but I'm not gonna go to too many presentation ;). Probably going to the farmer's market too and picking up shrimp tomorrow. Bullies has cheap pork by the pound on Tuesday so I'm picking that up. I actually thought the SC thin was a bit peppery. I recently had a fantastic one in CO that just enhanced the meat flavor rather than masking it. The best kind of sauce!

Good deal. Like all farmers markets it can be hit or miss depending on who shows up that day but either way its a neat part of town with cool southern art galleries and a couple nice eateries. If non of the stands catch your eye check out the cottage or old town dispensery for lunch right within that same area

And the stand the other guy is refering to is called choo choo bbq along burnt church

Baldum
08-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Ended up going to Bullies (twice), Bluffton BBQ, BBQ Express (choo choo), Duke's and Benny Hudson's. Bullies was probably my favorite. Their sauces are dynamite. Bluffton was good, but the pork was a bit greasy, but holy hell is the sweet potato casserole amazing! Express had tasty chicken and awesome beans. Duke's wasn't really about the BBQ to me. The fried chicken was awesome, as well as the ambiance (if you want to call it that). Thanks for the tips guys! I might be going next year to the same conference, so I can't wait to hit some new spots!