PDA

View Full Version : Heading to NY or Grand Canyon not sure

brandonh1987
08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
So i'm about to book a little weekend getaway to either grand canyon or new york.... I'm not really lookin for BBQ on this trip, but either Pizza if in new york or mexican if in arizona... any good recommendations?

MilitantSquatter
08-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Personally, having lived in NY, I'd rather go to the Grand Canyon .... but if you're going to NY it depends what kind of pizza you are looking for..

If you want old style, NY coal oven pizza with the feel of true NY, I'd recommend my personal favorite Totonno's in Coney Island or Patsy's in Harlem. There are a few others but don't get caught in the touristy Grimaldi's trap. Time permitting, DiFara's in Midwood that can be done with Totonno's if you make a few hours of it.. Then you can hit Spumoni Gardens in Bensonhurt too.

If you are looking for authentic Neopolitan style there are lots of places popping up monthly but Paulie Gee's in Brooklyn or Motorino or Keste would likely be at the top of a list. There are others but too many to name.

Then there is the run of the mill pizza shops on every corner. All taste close to the same. If you try one, you try them all.

brandonh1987
08-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the reply!! However I did end up booking to grand canyon... now looking for some things to do / good mexican to eat while I'm there.... open to suggestions!!!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-10-2013, 02:23 PM
So, where you gonna land in AZ then? Phoenix?

brandonh1987
08-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah, Phoenix... I really wanna check out route 163 while I'm up there... Always liked the look of that drive. And good mexican food along the way I hope.... I also want to see a huge feild of Cacti somewhere!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-10-2013, 03:04 PM
If you drive north out of Phoenix toward Flagstaff you will see a lot of Saguro Cactus. Take the side trip up through Oak Creek Canyon too. It's also a great drive from Grand Canyon, over and up through Tuba City on your way up to Monument Valley.

As far as Mexican food goes, we were out there on a road trip in early May, we tried, but didn't find any Mexican food that stands out.

brandonh1987
08-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks~ Where would you recommend viewing the grand canyon??? Any best spots?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-10-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks~ Where would you recommend viewing the grand canyon??? Any best spots?

The entire rim drive on the South Rim is excellent. Start on the West Rim Drive and then drive the East Rim Drive on your way over to Tuba City or the North Rim.

North Rim is much higher and quite a bit different if you have the time to drive up to Lee's Ferry to cross over.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Not Mexican food, but stop in the Tuuvi Cafe in Tuba City and order the ""Tuuvi Taco". It is made with fry bread, chili, cheese, onions, lettuce and tomato. It's very popular in that area and theirs was one of the best we ate.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/9767260f648c3aa7af7d89054bd7b72c_zpscdc96131.jpg

caseydog
08-10-2013, 05:14 PM
I landed in Phoenix early one morning, and asked a Latino worker at the rental car center where to go for breakfast, and he told me about this place a couple miles away that had great breakfast tacos. I got there, and it was full of Latino airport workers, and had a fantastic machaca breakfast taco.

I don't remember the name, and just did some Google searching, and couldn't find it. All I can say is ask a local -- especially an airport worker.

If you want good Mexican everyday food, ask a Mexican immigrant who lives where you are.

I have heard that the native American version of the taco is awesome, but have not had it. It is on my to-do list.

CD

Gore
08-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I was born and raised in Tucson, so have many favorites, but that's quite a ways south. If you're headed for the Grand Canyon, my advice is Black Bart's in Flagstaff. It is not the greatest food, but it is EXCELLENT entertainment and great fun!

http://www.blackbartssteakhouse.com/

You have to be in the right frame of mind and like musicals. I had a blast when I was there and my kids loved it too.

If you're going to stay a few nights, I recommend the hotel run by the Hotel Restaurant and Management Department of Northern Arizona. This is a teaching hotel run by students for their studies. They also have a restaurant. We had an EXCELLENT multi-course very fancy dinner that was dirt cheap -- students getting their degree, remember. If you go, you must reserve dinner in advance as they have limited seating and they fill up in advance!