PDA

View Full Version : Yoder YS640 for Competition

Sawdustguy
08-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Is it possible to cook an entire KCBS competition on a single Yoder YS640 (2 butts, 2 briskets, 6 racks of ribs and 12 thighs)?

Norwood
08-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I did my first comp on a 640. I cooked this 1 brisket 2 butts 5 racks and 20 thighs. It was all about the timing to make sure all the food came off before the next one went on. Good luck.

Sawdustguy
08-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I did my first comp on a 640. I cooked this 1 brisket 2 butts 5 racks and 20 thighs. It was all about the timing to make sure all the food came off before the next one went on. Good luck.

Thank you for the input. I'm getting tired of the stick burner.

ewchippe
08-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Buy the new YS1500, its definitely big enough

Sawdustguy
08-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Buy the new YS1500, its definitely big enough

Can you buy the YS1500 without the competition cart because I plan to mount the smoker to an existing trailer. Buying two YS640's is a possibility also.

ewchippe
08-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I was originally going to do two of the 640's also, but I think I have changed my mind. I would assume they could build without the comp cart. They can do the others without the comp cart.

bignburlyman
08-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I think cost wise 2 640's will be cheaper than the 1500. I know 2 640's was cheaper than the 1320 they sold for a while. It would allow you to cook at different temperatures also, which could be a benefit. I don't own one but would love to!

ewchippe
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
The YS1500 will be $3595 while two 640's with comp cart are $1800 each. So, there is not much difference. The 1500 will get you more space overall with the second shelf. I havent pulled the trigger on it yet, but I am leaning to the 1500.

Bigdog
08-07-2013, 06:50 PM
The YS1500 will be $3595 while two 640's with comp cart are $1800 each. So, there is not much difference. The 1500 will get you more space overall with the second shelf. I havent pulled the trigger on it yet, but I am leaning to the 1500.

Both are good options IMHO. The advantage of 2 640s is that you could get a wider range of temps at the same time. You also need to consider how you are going to haul them.

The main purpose for the 1500 is so that you can easily do a comp with it. You can do it on one 640 as well but you can't do as much meat. I do know that it sure is nice when we do the classes that we can use extra cookers to achieve different results and different styles of cooking. We generally use 2 640s and 2 480s unless we have a big ole stick burner going like the Kingman or the Frontiersman. I love cooking on both of them, and the Kingman is essentially a 1500 stick burner. It holds temps like a champ. Thats another real advantage of a big ole hunk of steel.

Muzzlebrake
08-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Guy,

It will be tough to do on one 640. I wish I would have known you could have checked out the 1320 and 640 I have on my trailer. I think I saw a picture of a 1320 without the cart at one point. If you talk to Joe or Don, I'm sure they'll make it anyway you want

PigxelPerfectBbq
08-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I jsut ordered my 640 last friday and have my first comp with it in 2 weeks ill let you know how it goes! I'm a bit worried about timing and needing to crank temps for chicken while others are finishing.

bigdogphin
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I have a ys1320... And I cook a whole competition on it with good results. 2brisket 2butts 4slabs and 2 pans of chicken

nucornhusker
08-07-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm selling my YS640 and I'm ordering a YS1500. As stated above, talk to Yoder and they will make anything you want. The only limit is your imagination. If you want a trailer mount YS1500 or trailer mount two YS640's they can do it.

This is a YS1320 on wood pit legs.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/husker9903/df630cc77bf4beb09f2967ea65f8b11a_view_zpscc10274d. jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/husker9903/media/df630cc77bf4beb09f2967ea65f8b11a_view_zpscc10274d. jpg.html)

Sawdustguy
08-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Guy,

It will be tough to do on one 640. I wish I would have known you could have checked out the 1320 and 640 I have on my trailer. I think I saw a picture of a 1320 without the cart at one point. If you talk to Joe or Don, I'm sure they'll make it anyway you want

Sean,

Are you cooking at Sams club here in Medford? I am just tired of the stick burner. Having Yoder make the trailer is an interesting thought also.

Guy

deguerre
08-08-2013, 09:35 AM
The REAL question here is...what are your plans for the Lang?:becky:

Candy Sue
08-08-2013, 10:20 AM
In my dreams, I've planned a trailer built by Yoder. Something that offers flexibility with cookers. I don't think it'd be that hard to cook a comp with one 640 along with a cambro for holding big meats.

Sawdustguy
08-08-2013, 01:12 PM
The REAL question here is...what are your plans for the Lang?:becky:

The other Fat Polock has launched his claim to it. It's just that this log an hour deal got old very quickly. I thought for about a millisecond about a Jambo Economy Trailer Smoker but the thought left my mind as soon as it entered because it's another stick burner. Sometimes it pays to be Polish. :loco::wink:

Muzzlebrake
08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Sean,

Are you cooking at Sams club here in Medford? I am just tired of the stick burner. Having Yoder make the trailer is an interesting thought also.

Guy

Nope sorry,next stop for us is Hudson Valley

Sawdustguy
08-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Nope sorry,next stop for us is Hudson Valley

We may take a ride up there. Have to check with Michele.

BasicPatrick
08-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I will have a 640 in Medford. I use it for ribs and chicken but could cook a comp as others have said. Although I love my 640 I must suggest that if you want a pellet cooker then start with a FEC!!!!!

Sawdustguy
08-09-2013, 08:14 AM
I will have a 640 in Medford. I use it for ribs and chicken but could cook a comp as others have said. Although I love my 640 I must suggest that if you want a pellet cooker then start with a FEC!!!!!

I am not impressed with the FEC100. I am seriously considering having Yoder build me a trailer with twin YS640's on it. We used to compete with a Spicewine Super Medium. We miss the night sleep we used to get. With the Lang stick burner the log an hour is a PITA.

rookiedad
08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I have also been looking into a pellet smoker (Rec Tec) and have found that Yoder, while built well, may have a problem with hot spots. Anyone in the know?

Sawdustguy
08-09-2013, 10:33 AM
I have also been looking into a pellet smoker (Rec Tec) and have found that Yoder, while built well, may have a problem with hot spots. Anyone in the know?

It seems that they have long fixed that problem.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160380

Muzzlebrake
08-09-2013, 11:25 AM

I haven't had that problem at all. Early on I think they did changed the fan setup which may have had something to do with that.

The 640, 1320 and now 1500 are all designed to allow the cook to create a hot spot. The 640' has a damper under the deflector plate that can be moved the length of the cook chamber to creat different temperature zones. The larger models have a sliding damper over the fire pot built into the deflectors tha lets you create a true hot spot. I do remember talking to more than one person that had forgotten to open the damper ln the 640 and wound up with the left side of the cooker much hotter.

They are exceptionally well built. 2 weeks ago I had 2 guys who had no idea about BBQ stare at my 1320 for about 10 minutes. They both came from ship builders and had worked manufacturing nuclear power plant equipment and were in awe at the craftmenship of the welds and seams

Shiz-Nit
08-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Just a question are you lucky enough to have a pellet supplier local for you? I looked into the Yoder's as well but found no one around here sold pellets.

Sawdustguy
08-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Just a question are you lucky enough to have a pellet supplier local for you? I looked into the Yoder's as well but found no one around here sold pellets.

I will have them shipped if I have to. It will still be cheaper than buying and storing logs for the Lang.

nucornhusker
08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

The hot spot issue was only on very early units in which some notable changes have been made. Not an issue any longer.

I order in bulk directly from the manufacturer. But there are also many online retailers that sell pellets also.

Muzzlebrake
08-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I use BBQers Delight and get them from Big Poppas Smokers. Free shipping on orders over $40.

Bigdog
08-10-2013, 06:15 AM
I use BBQers Delight and get them from Big Poppas Smokers. Free shipping on orders over $40.

Really? Free shipping?? That's crazy! How can they afford to do that???

ewchippe
08-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I buy a lot from Big Poppa Smokers....They do free shipping and have great customer service also.

big brother smoke
08-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Yup, you are late Big Dog! :-P

Muzzlebrake
08-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Yup, free and that's not just on pellets it's good for all orders over $40. It's not the fastest but it is free. Just make sure you give enough time (7-10 days for me here in NY) and you can easily save a couple of hundred dollars over the course of a year if you order a lot of stuff.

Sawdustguy
08-10-2013, 12:11 PM
This is for Rookiedad.....

Phil,

I think this video directly addresses your question about hotspots:

SmokingPit.com - Yoder YS640 Pellet Smoker Grill Temp Consistency Test - YouTube

MilitantSquatter
08-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Hey Guy - I thought you moved to WSM's

getting antsy again to try some new equipment ??? :grin:

I saw the Yoders once... they are nice, if pellets are your thing. I just don't think I would enjoy it so much.

Good luck... can't wait to see what you decide upon...

Bigdog
08-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Yup, free and that's not just on pellets it's good for all orders over $40. It's not the fastest but it is free. Just make sure you give enough time (7-10 days for me here in NY) and you can easily save a couple of hundred dollars over the course of a year if you order a lot of stuff.

That is really a great deal, esp. for those that don't have close access to them.:thumb:

Muzzlebrake
08-11-2013, 12:14 AM
I saw the Yoders once... they are nice, if pellets are your thing. I just don't think I would enjoy it so much.

You know what you would enjoy? We're the Millers. Lots of semi nude Jennifer Anniston!

That is really a great deal, esp. for those that don't have close access to them.:thumb:

Yeah it's a little different for us here in NY, very hard to find a local retailer. I wish I had ATBBQ right around the bend.....

Sawdustguy
08-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Hey Guy - I thought you moved to WSM's

getting antsy again to try some new equipment ??? :grin:

Good luck... can't wait to see what you decide upon...

Michele and I are going to go it alone without my brother and sister-in-law. Our new team name is "Lawn Guyland Smokers". There are no hard feelings. They are grandparents now and like to do Grandma and Grandpa things. I totally understand that and we would feel the same way if the roles were reversed. Michele and i thought about getting out of competing but we really enjoyed the contest here in Manorville. Quite a few of my clients stopped by and a number of Michele's vendors visited. We are looking at pellet smokers to make it easier on ourselves. There is no charcoal or logs to carry and we get to sleep at night. We will be traveling light and sleeping tight.......doh..:tongue:. How are you doing? I understand from Steve that you are loving life down south. Michele and I have about 10 years until we hang it up and we have Northern California's Sonoma Valley in our sights. It's good to hear from you.

Bigdog
08-11-2013, 07:44 AM
I wish I had ATBBQ right around the bend.....

Ya, but it does get expensive. :thumb:

CBQ
08-11-2013, 07:59 AM
We also use BBQers Delight, it's a quality pellet. I ordered a pallet from Candy when I got the FEC100 in 2010, and will probably get through this year with that order.

Muzzlebrake
08-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Ya, but it does get expensive. :thumb:

I can imagine! I'd probably getaway cheaper paying for shipping than living that close.

We also use BBQers Delight, it's a quality pellet. I ordered a pallet from Candy when I got the FEC100 in 2010, and will probably get through this year with that order.

I had done the same. From what I understand, they no longer sell directly like that and now deal through BPS. Either way, the shipping is still cheaper than the last pallet I ordered. I also find not having 2000# of pellets in the basement makes it seem much bigger. :becky:

TeamRamRod
08-11-2013, 11:56 AM
We run 2 YS640 for competitions, we love them! We actually bought our second one used at All things BBQ.

Sawdustguy
08-11-2013, 01:16 PM
We run 2 YS640 for competitions, we love them! We actually bought our second one used at All things BBQ.

That's the way we are leaning.

Sledneck
08-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Guy, why dont you just convert both your 22" wsms to pellet cookers http://www.pelletprogrill.com/stacker.html

Sawdustguy
08-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Guy, why dont you just convert both your 22" wsms to pellet cookers http://www.pelletprogrill.com/stacker.html

Very interesting Steve....

Big Mike
09-03-2013, 08:05 PM
How well does the 640 travel if you don't have it on a comp cart. I am really considering selling my Stumps trailer and getting a toy hauler and a 640 (maybe 2). I typically cook 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 pieces of chicken so I think I can get away with one. But, two would allow me to cook ribs and chicken at higher temps. Unfortunately it gets expensive adding comp carts.

If I get two, one would probably stay with the Toy Hauler when it is in storage (don't have space at the house for a trailer) and the other would be at the house for grilling and smoking at home.

nucornhusker
09-03-2013, 08:15 PM
How well does the 640 travel if you don't have it on a comp cart. I am really considering selling my Stumps trailer and getting a toy hauler and a 640 (maybe 2). I typically cook 2 butts, 1 brisket, 3 racks of ribs and 12 pieces of chicken so I think I can get away with one. But, two would allow me to cook ribs and chicken at higher temps. Unfortunately it gets expensive adding comp carts.

If I get two, one would probably stay with the Toy Hauler when it is in storage (don't have space at the house for a trailer) and the other would be at the house for grilling and smoking at home.

Not as expensive as you think. If you upgrade to stainless shelves and add a second cooking grate, the comp cart isn't a whole lot more, and those features are standard. Or you can remove the stainless shelves on a comp cart model and go with bar shelves and shave off like $200.

You may be able to get away with one only cooking one brisket. Likely that brisket is resting come chicken time I would assume.

Big Mike
09-03-2013, 08:32 PM
So if you get a comp cart the 2nd shelf comes with the cooker. I didn't realize that. I didn't know you could switch out the shelves either.

Right now I have all four meats on at the same time, at least for a while. That is one reason I am considering two if I go this route. That way I could cook my ribs and chicken at a slightly higher temp. A 640 and a 480 is also a possibility.

nucornhusker
09-03-2013, 08:49 PM
So if you get a comp cart the 2nd shelf comes with the cooker. I didn't realize that. I didn't know you could switch out the shelves either.

Right now I have all four meats on at the same time, at least for a while. That is one reason I am considering two if I go this route. That way I could cook my ribs and chicken at a slightly higher temp. A 640 and a 480 is also a possibility.
Yep. On the comp cart model the second shelf and stainless shelves are standard.

Maybe he will chime in here, but Chris Hart uses a YS640 and YS480 for comps.

Shiz-Nit
09-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Can the 640 fit the full size aluminum pans from Sams Club? I seen Nucornbuskers post on his 1500 that fit several. Just wondering how they would fit on the 640's.

PigxelPerfectBbq
09-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I had a full Sized pan my last comp for my brisket and it doesnt fit from front to back without bending in all the corners. Still managed to fit it in though. At one point I had the 640 loaded with 4 racks 2 butts and a 15 lb brisket. Wouldnt have been able to start my chicken without taking out the brisket or butts first. Also because I needed to crank the heat up a bit for Chicken my ribs were finishing faster than expected bc of the temp increase from 235 to 275.

Muzzlebrake
09-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't have a comp cart on my 640, but I did put on bigger wheels. I think they offer that as an option now, i could be wrong. If you are going t be loading it in and out of a toy hauler especially one with a steep ramp, id recommend bigger wheels.
It does have a second shelf. I would not want to cook an entire contest on one 640, I'm sure if you timed it all right it could be done. I wouldn't want the hassle personally. I have done it on various combinations of 480/640/1320 and I think it can be easily done with any 2 of the 3.
I think if you talk any of the guys @ Yoder they'll hook you up with just about any configuration you need.