PDA

View Full Version : Rec tec for competitions

rookiedad
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Thinking about a rec tec for competitions. Anyone using them? Any problems with the rules due to the electric source? They seem pretty good and have a good sale going right now!
Thanks in advance,
Phil

nucornhusker
08-07-2013, 12:47 PM
That's the price they always sell for. Pellet cookers are perfectly okay for comps because the only time electric is used to heat is during ignition. Otherwise fans to keep a fire going are legal.

I've never cooked on a RecTec, so I can't help you there.

GQue
08-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Contact Kevin Feit With Swinestone Cowboys - He uses one for chix and can asnwer your questions - I will also tell him to look you up!

Bentley
08-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Man, I did not know KCBS had a half a million CBJ's...:mod:

RecTec seems like a solid unit, about the same size as a Traeger Texan! Much more versatile controller with settings between 180 and 500°. In 5° increments...lots of happy new owners!

Muzzlebrake
08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Save yourself the time and just go with a Yoder 640. You don't need to get the comp cart, so the price is close. Open and close the lids on each of them and you'll see for yourself, there is no comparison. Quality will be remembered long after cost has been forgotten.

IronBoarSmokers
08-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Save yourself the time and just go with a Yoder 640. You don't need to get the comp cart, so the price is close. Open and close the lids on each of them and you'll see for yourself, there is no comparison. Quality will be remembered long after cost has been forgotten.

I've never been a fan of pellet smokers myself. Nothing functionally wrong with them, but they seems artificial somehow. That said, I can't argue with the control they provide...

http://www.smokingpit.com/images/Info/YS640-Review/Yoder-YS640-240-Degree-Test-final-L.jpg

Also, Yoders are rock solid. We cook in comps on my buddies Witchita and that thing is SOLID. Manufacturing quality is just amazing. The welds are the cleanest I've seen and after all the weld heat put into the metal, the lids are straight as can be and seal is insanely tight.

BMerrill
08-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Butch cooks on one as team Pit Cue and has done well.

Capn Kev
08-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Thinking about a rec tec for competitions. Anyone using them? Any problems with the rules due to the electric source? They seem pretty good and have a good sale going right now!
Thanks in advance,
Phil

I am using one in comps and I LOVE it!!! It has the same control unit as the Memphis Pro, and I've tested it thoroughly over the past few months. Hands down the best pellet cooker for that price point. PM me for details.

GQue
08-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Man, I did not know KCBS had a half a million CBJ's...:mod:

!

Oops!! Got an extra zero in there - haha!