PDA

View Full Version : Additional fees for basic electricity?

Theresa B
08-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Looking at competing in a KCBS comp in late September. Entry fees are the usual $250 but to get ANY electricity it will cost an additional $30 for 20 amps. We've only cooked three comps and have not run into this before. Organizer stated "because I have to rent a generator". Don't most comps rent generators and factor in the cost in the entry fees?

Teamfour
08-06-2013, 06:27 PM
I just wrote checks today for two comps that charged $20 and $30 for 20 amp power. I feel I got off easy seeing how we paid $100 for 20 amp service at a comp last month.

Are you doing Smokin at the Track?

Slamdunkpro
08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Looking at competing in a KCBS comp in late September. Entry fees are the usual $250 but to get ANY electricity it will cost an additional $30 for 20 amps. We've only cooked three comps and have not run into this before. Organizer stated "because I have to rent a generator". Don't most comps rent generators and factor in the cost in the entry fees?
I think you're going to see this more and more as organizer try and find ways to subsidize the cost of bigger and bigger power grids to accommodate RV's and cook trailers.

Fat Freddy
08-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Every contest I have done around here charges extra for power. I ended up buying a cheaper inverter generator to make sure I dont have to pay extra and I have reliable power.

Theresa B
08-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Teamfour- yes, Smoking on the Track. This makes purchasing a generator much more interesting. I just don't know how we would fit it in. Harumph...guess I'll bite the bullet.

fnbish
08-06-2013, 06:49 PM
The only events in GA where they charged for basic power were MBN events. I think maybe I've seen it once in KCBS so pretty rare. Of course we have a camper now and pat for 30amp :icon_blush:

Slamdunkpro
08-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Teamfour- yes, Smoking on the Track. This makes purchasing a generator much more interesting. I just don't know how we would fit it in. Harumph...guess I'll bite the bullet.
I thought last year they let us use track power.

Theresa B
08-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Mike- I called him today to confirm the water and electricity situation as for me it wasn't clear on the application.

sdbbq1234
08-06-2013, 06:56 PM
I thought last year they let us use track power.

Yes, they did, I think :oops:. This was our first comp and we had no power problems at all, and I could swear, power (15 amp) was included.

If we continue on the comp race (and I sure anticipate we will), we will most likely purchase the Honda Combo generator. At the rate it is going, it will pay for itself very soon as it seems like a lot of people (organizers) are charging extra for basic electricity. Not to mention, knowing we will have constant, stable power.

wallace

Teamfour
08-06-2013, 07:02 PM

See ya there!

Fat Freddy
08-06-2013, 07:56 PM
The Champion 2000 watt inverter/ generator is between $500-and $600. Honda is nicer and a fraction quieter but I can buy a parallel kit and get a second Champion with 4000 max watts for the price of a 2000w Honda. To me it was much easier to buy the generator I did from Amazon for $502 shipped than to pay for power at our comps.

sdbbq1234
08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
The Champion 2000 watt inverter/ generator is between $500-and $600. Honda is nicer and a fraction quieter but I can buy a parallel kit and get a second Champion with 4000 max watts for the price of a 2000w Honda. To me it was much easier to buy the generator I did from Amazon for $502 shipped than to pay for power at our comps.

Don't want to derail this thread but, you got my interest. Would you have a link? I am really looking for quiet but efficient unit.

Thanks

wallace

Muzzlebrake
08-06-2013, 08:14 PM
At the DC contest electric was $150 for the weekend.

Slamdunkpro
08-06-2013, 08:16 PM
At the DC contest electric was $150 for the weekend.
What there was of it. We ended up firing the generator on Sunday.

nthole
08-06-2013, 08:24 PM
That's relatively uncommon here in the St. Louis area, but there are a handful of contests that do charge extra for power. And yes it irritates me too. I can see if they want to charge extra to RVs and trailers who are the reason they need they huge generators, but if all I need is one 15amp plug, I don't think it's right.

Ron_L
08-06-2013, 08:36 PM
In this area we see a mix. Some competitions include electricity in the fee, others charge for it. It seems to equal out, however.

big brother smoke
08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Electricity out here is included in the fee. Feel free in the summertime to charge $20-$50 more for good, clean energy for folks to run their AC units.

Fat Freddy
08-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Don't want to derail this thread but, you got my interest. Would you have a link? I am really looking for quiet but efficient unit.

Thanks

wallace

Thought I had quoted so you knew it was directed at your posting earlier. If I do the link right here it is Amazon.com : Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2, 000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

If I didnt do it right just go to Amazon and look up Champion inverter generators.

sdbbq1234
08-06-2013, 09:09 PM
What there was of it. We ended up firing the generator on Sunday.

$150.00 and you guys ended up using your own?? Something ain't right.

Having your own power (just in case) is sounding like a good idea all around. Heck, we could use it here at the house at least to run the refrig.

Thanks!

wallace

landarc
08-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Folks do weird things at events. Stuff you would never think to do, and sometimes power gets cut off or drained etc...

sdbbq1234
08-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Thought I had quoted so you knew it was directed at your posting earlier. If I do the link right here it is Amazon.com : Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2, 000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Equipment-73536i-Generator-Compliant/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=)

If I didnt do it right just go to Amazon and look up Champion inverter generators.

Cool! Thanks for the reply. I am looking at these in more detail!

wallace

shares
08-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Running AC for $20 - guaranteed 20 amps at a solid 110V-120V power - I'll take it every time in the summer.

Goddahavit
08-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Running AC for $20 - guaranteed 20 amps at a solid 110V-120V power - I'll take it every time in the summer.

well, i have been at a few guaranteed 20 amps isnt. so i now just run the genny, people have to remember gas and wear and tear on these units so paying the fee is probably cheaper, but now i dont worry about power.

Teamfour
08-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Thought I had quoted so you knew it was directed at your posting earlier. If I do the link right here it is Amazon.com : Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2, 000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Equipment-73536i-Generator-Compliant/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=)

Now you have me interested. I see the dB rating is about 55 (close to the Honda rating). Is this really quiet enough to run during the night?

virginia lawyer
08-07-2013, 07:47 AM
$150.00 and you guys ended up using your own?? Something ain't right.

Having your own power (just in case) is sounding like a good idea all around. Heck, we could use it here at the house at least to run the refrig.

Thanks!

wallace

Power grid was miserably under-strength. Breakers kept popping most of Saturday morning (likely due to too many ACs running), then entire line was submerged during Sunday morning rain and completely out.

mobow
08-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Most around here charge for it. I am ok with that because half to 3/4 of the time I do not use electricity. Those who want pay those who don't don't. Keith

Muzzlebrake
08-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Now you have me interested. I see the dB rating is about 55 (close to the Honda rating). Is this really quiet enough to run during the night?

I have had one for a number of years and yea it is quiet enough to run at night, in fact I do at every contest. I regularly have people stop and ask me about it when they hear how quiet it is.

They need a little more care and maintainance than a comparable Honda or Yamaha but I think it's worth it. The carbeurator has a habit of becoming clogged especially if there is any water or moisture in your gas. Add Stabil or another good additive every time you fill your bass can and it should be fine.

Slamdunkpro
08-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Power grid was miserably under-strength. Breakers kept popping most of Saturday morning (likely due to too many ACs running), then entire line was submerged during Sunday morning rain and completely out.
According to the electrician the organizer rented smaller generators to save money. :rolleyes:

Organizers need to step up to the plate here. If you offer 10 amps with the entry fee and more for an additional charge (or however you offer electric) and a competitor cheaps out; tries to run his trailer & AC on the standard grid and keeps blowing the panel for all the teams on that panel (we had this experience this year), then the organizer needs to kick them off the grid if they don't reduce their load.

Fat Freddy
08-07-2013, 08:46 AM

Simple answer is yes. In my opinion in "econ" mode it is about the same as a Honda. When not in Econ mode or when compressor for my dorm fridge in camper comes on it is louder than a Honda but still quiet enough not to disturb me or the neighbors at night. Minimally louder. There is a few small things I wish was different but it is reliable power and is quiet enough.

Muzzlebrake
08-07-2013, 09:25 AM
According to the electrician the organizer rented smaller generators to save money. :rolleyes:

Organizers need to step up to the plate here. If you offer 10 amps with the entry fee and more for an additional charge (or however you offer electric) and a competitor cheaps out; tries to run his trailer & AC on the standard grid and keeps blowing the panel for all the teams on that panel (we had this experience this year), then the organizer needs to kick them off the grid if they don't reduce their load.

I couldn't agree more. DC was the most extreme I've seen this year, there was a definate lack of infrastrucure for the teams. Tim from Stubborn Bull actually let his neighbors plug into his generators because their whole side of the street had no power.

I run my 2 pellet cookers and a flourescent work light overnight for maybe 300 watts of power. In the AM, I run my small coffee pot and the radio. It's really annoying when people running an AC inside an EZup with a flat screen and sound system keep blowing the curcuits and not a word is said to them. Its almost impossible to totally eliminate the occasional drunk tripping over a cord, or another team unplugging the wrong cord but those are at least unintentional.

One of the big reasons I started to use my own power was because you could watch lights flicker, breakers and GFI's trip between 5:30-6AM the morning of turnins as people woke up and fired up coffee pots and microwaves for breakfast.

Teamfour
08-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I know this thread has wandered a little (sorry Theresa)...electricity related, I only run a Guru, couple of lights, a box fan, and a radio for comps. Its a shame I need to pay for electricity for such a small load. Maybe I just need to get a 1000w gennie for comps.

kenthanson
08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Most of our local comps up here elec is $20 and I thought that was way to much. Our comp this weekend coming up doesn't offer any elec at all to the competitors.

ThomEmery
08-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Price of fuel is driving this
30 Amp is $$$ to provide

roksmith
08-07-2013, 01:22 PM
For 20-30 bucks I'd probably always pay the extra. Even if you have your own generator, there's the price of fuel to consider. We always bring a generator with us, but only once in 5 years have we had to use it.

txschutte
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't mind paying for power as long as it's reliable. Entry money should go to the total prize pool, so I consider electric cost as an expense of playing the game. Considering that we pay anywhere from $80-$100 for a brisket, and we pay for premium rubs and injections, $30 is a small price to pay for something we need.

TailGateJoecom
08-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I have had one for a number of years and yea it is quiet enough to run at night, in fact I do at every contest. I regularly have people stop and ask me about it when they hear how quiet it is.

They need a little more care and maintainance than a comparable Honda or Yamaha but I think it's worth it. The carbeurator has a habit of becoming clogged especially if there is any water or moisture in your gas. Add Stabil or another good additive every time you fill your bass can and it should be fine.

Yeah, i can attest to it being quiet, I was right next to his setup last weekend and it was just as quiet as my honda 2000.

TailGateJoecom
08-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I couldn't agree more. DC was the most extreme I've seen this year, there was a definate lack of infrastrucure for the teams. Tim from Stubborn Bull actually let his neighbors plug into his generators because their whole side of the street had no power.

I run my 2 pellet cookers and a flourescent work light overnight for maybe 300 watts of power. In the AM, I run my small coffee pot and the radio. It's really annoying when people running an AC inside an EZup with a flat screen and sound system keep blowing the curcuits and not a word is said to them. Its almost impossible to totally eliminate the occasional drunk tripping over a cord, or another team unplugging the wrong cord but those are at least unintentional.

One of the big reasons I started to use my own power was because you could watch lights flicker, breakers and GFI's trip between 5:30-6AM the morning of turnins as people woke up and fired up coffee pots and microwaves for breakfast.

I must have been lucky in DC being at the top of the block 3 spots down, I never had a problem with the AC except for less than a minute Sunday morning with the rain. Oh, and one of my guys drinking too much Saturday night/Sunday morning and actually unplugging my FEC120 to plug in his ipod. I arrive to the site at 4am from the hotel expecting a hot smoker ready for the meat and see the plug laying there replaced by a cord leading right to the ipod in his lap with him just sitting there in a fog.:twitch:

CivilWarBBQ
08-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Here's an idea for my fellow tenters with minimal power needs: get together with one or two similar teams and arrange to share one power tap. Not only will you save money, but you won't be boxed in by a bunch of humongous 40 foot trailers either. :D

Muzzlebrake
08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I know this thread has wandered a little (sorry Theresa)...electricity related, I only run a Guru, couple of lights, a box fan, and a radio for comps. Its a shame I need to pay for electricity for such a small load. Maybe I just need to get a 1000w gennie for comps.

You can do that with a DC battery and an inverter. Park you vehicle in your space and run an inverter out of it. With that load you can probably get away with a 400w inverter.

Rick Hamilton
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Try $150 for 50A and $100 for 20A at Pickin in the Panhandle in WV. This is in addition to $250 entry. So say 45 teams pay entry and 20A that is $350. That is $15,750. With noone buying additional elec it is $11250. This is not a charity event. I wont mention the payout but it isn't close to $11250. It is an auto to the Jack though. Even with that said I still may go cuz its a fun contest.

CBQ
08-08-2013, 11:06 PM
I pay extra for larger spaces all the time, and sometimes will spring for dedicated power. The thing is, if the organizers charge for it, it had damn well better work. We ran on the "free" 15 amps at Pork in the Park, but it kept dropping under 99 volts. The team next to us paid extra for 30 amps, and had the same problem. I would have asked for a refund if I had paid extra for that. Low voltage will damage some electric motors - like the compressor in your AC unit. There simply was too much power being drawn for the distribution network or generator to keep up.

If you have refrigerators or coffee makers or AC units in your set up, get a meter that plugs into the line and shows how much you are drawing. We were fine at OOB sharing a circuit with 4 teams until the Sunday morning coffee makers fired up. It also comes in handy when people accuse you of drawing more power than you actually are. (I have a large RV, but if the AC isn't running it draws very little as I run the fridge off propane at most contests.)

I always run my cookers from an inverter with a battery back up. You just don't know.

Setting up next to Stubborn Bull with their 30 amp service is also a good strategy :clap: