PDA

View Full Version : KC BBQ Review

Neil
08-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Was in the Kansas City area over the weekend for a wedding and was looking forward to sampling some true KC style. On Friday we stopped at a nice little Q' joint about 50 miles of KC off I-70, I don't remember the town or the restaurant name but it began with a "B", the restaurant that is. The lady behind the counter recommended the brisket so that is what I ordered and my wife had spare ribs. My wife enjoyed the ribs but I was extremely disappointed in the brisket. It was sliced paper thin, almost shaved and was very dry. I can't remember the last time I used that much sauce. On Saturday we went to Oklahoma Joe's in Olathe, KS. At 2:00 in the afternoon this place was packed, the line was out the door and around the side of the building. This got me excited for some good bbq. These people have a gold mine and know how to organize an operation. The line moved steadily as people had their orders as they reached the register. We split an order of the brisket and ribs combo dinner which included a side and we added another side. The ribs were very good and again I have to say I was disappointed in the brisket as it too was sliced paper thin almost shaved. Obviously this must be the way they serve it in Kansas City but like my brisket sliced thicker. Although this was much more moist and tastier than the brisket I had on Friday, I would never order this again.

beer and bbq
08-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Hear ya. When ever I travel always looking for a good b joint to try and usually leave disappointed but when I do find a good one I see it as well worth it. Last one I tried was slows BBQ in Detroit which i thought was better than most I tried so far.

bignburlyman
08-05-2013, 08:00 AM
A BBQ place here that closed several years ago served their brisket sliced thin. And 4 Legs Up Restaurant before they closed served their brisket sliced thin. I am like you and prefer a thicker slice, so at 4 Legs Up I always just ordered burnt ends (which were always fantastic). I wonder if they slice it so thin so they can use the same meat for a plate dinner, or on a sandwich. The third BBQ joint in town that is now closed served thicker slices, but it was usually so dry and overdone that it just turned into crumbs.

The only BBQ place here in town still open the 1 (and only) time I ate there the brisket was I guess you would have to say it was pulled, it was just a pile of mush.

NickTheGreat
08-05-2013, 08:02 AM
I've gotten to a point where I don't even order brisket at BBQ joints. It is always too thin and too dry.

I've only had BBQ in KC a few times, and it was before I became the connoisseur that I am now :loco:

kujay
08-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I have found that to be a pattern in my brief time so far in Kansas City. Bogart's in St. Louis slices it really thin too. But it's so good.

brandonh1987
08-05-2013, 12:02 PM
I always try to tell people Danny Edwards and Jack Stack when your in kansas city..... but nobody listens to me.... :( You will get the brisket your looking for at either of those two joints.

mep
08-05-2013, 08:07 PM
LC's in Kansas City is very good for brisket and burnt ends. The ribs are the best at Ok Joe's. Jack Stack and Danny Edwards are good also. Even the mediocre BBQ places in Kansas City are better than in most any other area I have been in.

Armadillo
08-05-2013, 08:28 PM
We to was at ok joes sat I had the chicken nothing special it was just chicken my kids had ribs I tried them I didn't think they had much flavor my wife had the Z- man it was pretty good that's just my opion take it for that

landarc
08-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks Neil, seems like all I ever hear about from my KC gardening friends is how good the ribs and burnt ends are at LC's and Oklahoma Joe's. Never the sliced brisket

Royalslover
08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
As a life long Kansas Citian I can tell you that you will be hard pressed to find good brisket in town. My worst brisket is better than most of the stuff you can buy. Ribs are hit and miss. My favorite is a hole in the wall called Roscoe's. Other than that I'm ashamed to say Famous Dave's is about as good as any of the local joints. There-I said it. We are overrated as a BBQ town at least when it comes to Brisket.

Bigdog
08-06-2013, 05:37 PM
To me, the problem with sliced brisket is that if the brisket has not been freshly cooked, it will suck. Very temperamental meat and toughest to get right and keep it that way for any length of time.

Neil
08-07-2013, 04:30 AM
To me, the problem with sliced brisket is that if the brisket has not been freshly cooked, it will suck. Very temperamental meat and toughest to get right and keep it that way for any length of time.

I think you hit the nail on the head Dog. From now on I'll be asking for burnt ends when I want brisket at a restaurant.

Bigdog
08-07-2013, 06:03 AM
I actually had some chopped brisket that with sauce that was quite good yesterday. :shocked: I wouldn't have ordered it myself, it was on the buffet. Made a great sammy. :thumb: