PDA

View Full Version : NEBS Questions

Atlasman
08-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Wife and I are doing some NEBS categories coming up and was wondering what strategy plays into events like this. We know KCBS but NEBS is a new game for us. With a category like beef are you guys just giving 6 nice chunks of beef cooked your way or are you adding stuff like asparagus and potatoes and/or other sides as well??

To me that takes away from it being a BEEF contest but if that's what people do then I want to keep pace.

I also don't want to put anything in that will take away from my entry.

One last thing........parsley or curly lettuce?? For decorations as well??

pigmaker23
08-04-2013, 06:22 AM
First, read the cooks package for the specific contest grilling rules. They are different at each contest as the organizer can modify them.

NEBS grilling is a very competitive contest that produces very creative and unique entries. It is not unheard of of teams spending $50 plus on entry ingredients. If you have the chance you try judging a grilling contest to see the level of what we turn in, or mentor with a team. Good luck

Wife and I are doing some NEBS categories coming up and was wondering what strategy plays into events like this. We know KCBS but NEBS is a new game for us. With a category like beef are you guys just giving 6 nice chunks of beef cooked your way or are you adding stuff like asparagus and potatoes and/or other sides as well??

To me that takes away from it being a BEEF contest but if that's what people do then I want to keep pace.

I also don't want to put anything in that will take away from my entry.

One last thing........parsley or curly lettuce?? For decorations as well??

Atlasman
08-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Read cooks pack. Just general stuff like what you can cook with and what categories are and to follow NEBS rules.

No time for mentoring.......comp is days away.

Just wanted some general, vague pointers, no recipes, or family secrets needed.

Thanks

Smokin Hoggz
08-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Pretty much if it open garnish, you can put anything in the box, edible or non edible(ie.. toothpicks, ramekins, etc.....)so go ahead and use what ever you want just as long as you make whatever the category is stand out!!!!!also just because it's a NEBS event doesn't mean you can only use a grill, you can use your smoker too. NEBS isn't just grilling, it's BBQ (cooking meat with fire) but chances are you will only be able use wood, charcoal, pellets and on the rare occasion the organizer will allow propane. There have been times where I've spent more money on a NEBS event than on a KCBS event. Whats great about NEBS is that its different categories from contest to contest, and the food is fantastic. Have fun with it!!!!!

Atlasman
08-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks.

I guess my main concern is using beef as an easy example...........am I better off with 6 big hunks of ribeye or filet medallions or the same with some roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus spears??

Are judges looking for a MEAL or great beef??

I would rather not be scored up or down on veggies in a beef contest.

BogsBBQ
08-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Judges are looking for great beef. Start there. Think filet or short ribs.

Once you have that nailed down, assuming it is open garnish, then think about what might go well with the beef to push it over the top. Think garnishing with lobster or some other seafood. As others have said, it can become very expensive. Keep in mind that's it's not just a garnish...people are going to be eating everything. So you better darn well make sure whatever you put in the box tastes good and is cooked properly. If you think it's too ambitious to add a seafood garnish, just stick with perfect beef. To me, a veggie wouldn't push beef over the top, but maybe your veggies kick butt.

But I don't know too much about NEBS grilling. :)

Muzzlebrake
08-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Forget the veggies other than garnish, cook the main category ingredient exceptionally well, treat the appearance like fine dining and work on becoming a saucier.