PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

mobow
08-02-2013, 09:35 AM
If I had a couple of heat lamps on my prep table would they be legal?

Iamarealbigdog
08-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Are they wood fired...?

No electrical heat sources....:-o

fnbish
08-02-2013, 09:38 AM
For kcbs i read the rules as definitely not legal.

Just Pulin' Pork
08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Interesting question! I do not think it would be legal.

MikeJ65
08-02-2013, 09:51 AM
So, at a cold contest, are you able to do bring meat into your RV which is heated by propane?

Ron_L
08-02-2013, 10:02 AM
You're comparing apples and oranges. The heater in an RV is not heating the meat. It should be hotter than the RV temp when it comes out of the cooker. A heat lamp is an electric heat source that will heat the food.

wrenfro12
08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
It would be if you heat your RV to say around 180+

CarolinaQue
08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I always find it interesting that things like electric heat lamps are illegal, but all of the electric controlled draft mechanism's are not.

fnbish
08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
So, at a cold contest, are you able to do bring meat into your RV which is heated by propane?

Great point. And to further this discussion what about the heat from the Sun? it can get hot as hell during the summer. Is that legal? Now I'm not an entamologist, but doesn't that sucker run on mostly gas(es)?? Definitely not legal :becky: :behindsofa:.

Ron_L
08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
I always find it interesting that things like electric heat lamps are illegal, but all of the electric controlled draft mechanism's are not.

Also apples and oranges. Pits with draft controllers still use wood or charcoal for the heat source.

MikeJ65
08-02-2013, 10:58 AM
I do have a couple 100W light bulbs above my table and they do put out quite a bit of heat, but I never thought that they were illegal. They will definitely reduce the cooling rate of the meat.

Cast Iron Chef
08-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Great point. And to further this discussion what about the heat from the Sun? it can get hot as hell during the summer. Is that legal? Now I'm not an entamologist, but doesn't that sucker run on mostly gas(es)?? Definitely not legal :becky: :behindsofa:.

Even the KCBS board can not control the act of God. :crazy:

Teamfour
08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
I do have a couple 100W light bulbs above my table and they do put out quite a bit of heat, but I never thought that they were illegal. They will definitely reduce the cooling rate of the meat.

Hmmm, so is my 500w work light illegal if I happen to leave it on over my prep table since my eyesight is poor? If it is illegal, are KCBS rules discriminatory against old farts with physical impairments?

Ford
08-02-2013, 11:10 AM
This was discussed a few years back. I think there was a rep advisory on it. My memory says heat lamp illegal, regular bulb legal.

ButchB
08-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Wow, I must say I have been guilty of doing this. I never even considered it might be against the rules. Funny thing is I shigged it from a former KCBS Team of the Year lol.

I can't say that it really helps anyway, it just seems to me like it dries the food out.

mobow
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanx for the replies. I thought it probably was but it does then raise the question of how many watts does it take before it is considered a heat lamp verses a hot light bulb? Keith

bignburlyman
08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
What if a person heated a metal plate (grill top) on their smoker, then used it on the table top to prepare their meat using the residual heat from the metal to keep things warm? Seems like that might do the same job as a heat lamp, but from below instead of above.

fnbish
08-02-2013, 03:40 PM
What if a person heated a metal plate (grill top) on their smoker, then used it on the table top to prepare their meat using the residual heat from the metal to keep things warm? Seems like that might do the same job as a heat lamp, but from below instead of above.

Legal I'd say since it is not powered by electric or gas. They even make cambros that you can plug in to warm a heating plate of some sorts that sits in the door I think and you can use the electricity to warm them, but before you put the meat in the box you have to unplug it.

cpw
08-02-2013, 03:46 PM

I seem to recall Pizza Stones being used exactly like this.

The_Kapn
08-02-2013, 03:49 PM
If I had a couple of heat lamps on my prep table would they be legal?

I am probably missing something. :oops:

What would be the purpose other than to keep your hands warm in cold weather?
Just can not envision any competitive advantage.

Thanks,

TIM

columbia1
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
I am probably missing something. :oops:

What would be the purpose other than to keep your hands warm in cold weather?
Just can not envision any competitive advantage.

Thanks,

TIM
Tim, earlier this year we cooked in Chiliwack BC, it was below freezing with a stiff breeze, our meats were stone cold going in the box, wish we would had something to keep them warm as we did our final finishing prep.

CarolinaQue
08-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Also apples and oranges. Pits with draft controllers still use wood or charcoal for the heat source.

Maybe, but try unplugging that draft control and see how effective it is. To a point, the heat source is wood or charcoal, but with out air (oxygen), you can't have fire.

CBQ
08-02-2013, 08:53 PM
The key word here is 'heat' lamp. Unlike bulbs for lighting and RV heaters, heat lamps are designed to heat food, so would not think they are legal.

Ron_L
08-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Maybe, but try unplugging that draft control and see how effective it is. To a point, the heat source is wood or charcoal, but with out air (oxygen), you can't have fire.

This still has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

CarolinaQue
08-02-2013, 11:00 PM
This still has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

O.k. on topic...yes heat lamps are illegal, but I disagree with the premise.

I don't agree that an air draft control unit, which runs off of electricity and provides a required element for charcoal or wood to create enough heat to cook with is legal, but a heat lamp that uses electricity to merely keep food warm isn't legal.

Crash
08-03-2013, 02:12 AM

I don't agree that an air draft control unit, which runs off of electricity and provides a required element for charcoal or wood to create enough heat to cook with is legal, but a heat lamp that uses electricity to merely keep food warm isn't legal.

I agree heat laps would be illegal in KCBS.

Please start a new thread on the perceived illegality of air draft control units. You'll get a ton of responses for sure.

CBQ
08-03-2013, 08:56 AM

Legal. We use a dutch oven in cold weather to keep pork warm. We heat it in the smoker, but you could heat on any heat source as long as there is no meat in it while it's being heated. I think it's more effective than heat lamps.

Pork seems to be the category with the most heat issues, since it takes longer to box than, say, chicken.

Ron_L
08-03-2013, 08:58 AM

:doh:

Porcine Perfection
08-03-2013, 11:12 PM
But what if the electricity comes from a coal fired power plant?

Atlasman
08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
As long as people are throwing out "what if's"..........I have often wondered if it is legal when I see people heating water with propane and then filling their water pans in the smoker.

Definitely adds heat to your cooker from a propane source albeit indirect.

Before anyone says it........yes, I know people use water to keep temps down and not add heat. Just saying that adding boiling hot water to a cooker has to be seen as adding heat.

Southern Home Boy
08-04-2013, 02:32 PM
What about all the folks using powered Cambros to hold their meat to "rest"? I see this all the time. And in situations where you have to appease the Health Department and holding meats in a cooler wrapped in towels is not acceptable, what do you do?:wacko:

Seems to me, a heat lamp is not "cooking" the meat, simply holding it at a safe temperature.

CarolinaQue
08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
What about all the folks using powered Cambros to hold their meat to "rest"? I see this all the time. And in situations where you have to appease the Health Department and holding meats in a cooler wrapped in towels is not acceptable, what do you do?:wacko:

Seems to me, a heat lamp is not "cooking" the meat, simply holding it at a safe temperature.

Are you seeing this at KCBS comps? If so, that isn't legal.

Southern Home Boy
08-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Are you seeing this at KCBS comps? If so, that isn't legal.

Yep. KCBS is all I cook any more.

Ron_L
08-04-2013, 03:24 PM

I haven't inspected every Cambro out there, but I haven't seen any powered ones around here. Lots of us use Cambros just like a cooler, but that are the insulated pan carrier models, not the electric models.

We went through a pretty thorough health department inspection last weekend since we were participating in a people's choice competition and the inspector was just fine with our passive Cambro. All he cared about was that the meat was above 139 degrees when we turned it in.

Southern Home Boy
08-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Maybe the health inspectors I've gotten just don't like the look of me or something. Or maybe it's just St. Louis County inspectors are a little more hard-assed.

Either way, I'm not complaining or trying to rat any one out. It was never a big deal to me. I just know I've seen a lot of plugged in Cambros on my strolls through a comp.

nthole
08-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I've cooked a St. Louis County site inspected event. They did not require heated holders. Only the ability to hold the meat at a safe temp. A heated cambro would in no way be remotely KCBS legal and I've never seen one in use. Most people are using the standard 300 MPC. I've never seen anyone with a Camtherm or Combo Cart Electric.