PDA

View Full Version : another ibca chicken question

schooner
07-31-2013, 09:46 AM
we are dong another ibca event this weekened.. beaumont tx.

we have never made final table in chicken so we are trying some new ideas.
from what i am reading, brined, grilled chicken wins more than smoked., so i am going to cook on my weber kettle. i am going to cook all natural chicken.

any other pointers? inject/ marinade, cast a voodoo spell?

we use angelos pork/poultry seasonings, and glaze it with head coutry sauce.

Dim
07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
spring chickens (baby chickens), flattened and cooked / smoked

try this marinade but adjust the amounts to the amount that is needed .... this marinade is enough for 2 chickens ....

after marinading, use the left over as a mop in the final stages when finishing it off

this is based on a portugese recipe that originated in Mozambique, but that is popular in south africa (similar to Nandos chicken)

2-6 birds-eye red chillis (adjust spice level to your taste....2 will be mildly spicy whilst 6 will be very spicy)
1 big red capsicum/bell-pepper
1 lemon's juice
2 tbsp. paprika powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. dried oregano (crushed)
½ tsp. red chilli powder
½ cup sunflower oil (or olive)
5 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp. brown vinegar
1 tsp. black peppercorns (crushed)

blend the whole lot together, and marinade the chicken for at least 12 hours before cooking on moderate direct heat,

or smoke on your weber (for smoking, I smoke chicken at approx 210 -230 degrees F and I smoke chicken for 1 hour per pound of chicken) .... a spring chicken weighs approx 2 pounds, so smoke on a low temp for approx 1 1/2-2 hrs then finish off on direct heat while using the remaing marinade as a mop

each person gets either a whole chicken or a half .... I've seen people even eating the bones (but that could be because they had too much beer) :shocked:

schooner
07-31-2013, 02:28 PM
thanks

JS-TX
07-31-2013, 10:07 PM
You may also want to try some parkay/rub paste under the skin. I've never tried those seasonings but I've used HC with some success on chicken. You don't need crispy skin either. I would also go for a nice smooth look for appearance, in my experience the judges don't like course spices on the outside. Your luck may differ though.

Copronymous
07-31-2013, 10:58 PM
I've won IBCA chicken before. From a flavor perspective we treated them same as ribs (ribs won too). Exact same rub, butter, and apple juice spritz.
The rub was simple: equal parts brown sugar and salt, paprika, season salt, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne. Sweet & hot.

We didn't smoke it though. Grilled over 350* charcoal with some cherry wood.

Crash
08-01-2013, 04:48 AM
We like IBCA chickens as close to 4lbs as we can find them. We brine, inject, use a doctored rub and finish with our own glaze. Depending on the judging level, a saucy yardbird has been hit or miss for us. Less experienced judges tend to score the sauced up chicken higher as opposed to more experienced judges. Well, IMO anyways.

Candy Sue
08-01-2013, 01:16 PM
I butcher 3-4 pound yardbirds to halves, cutting the backbone completely out and sometimes the keel bone in the breast too. This makes 2 mirror half chickens. I brine with a basic 4 Tbs sugar, 2 Tbs salt to 1 cup water mix. I put seasoned (with chicken seasoning) butter slices on the breast under the skin. Smoke them for 2 hours, then cover in pan in sauce & chicken broth bone down for 30-45 minutes. Glaze then set the sauce 15 minutes, then turn in.

I don't cook many IBCA contests, but the technique above got 10th at the Cowtown Speedway in 2009. I was the only foreign (non-Texas) team there!