PDA

View Full Version : Competition brisket warm-up

Dtmara
07-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi, all!

I'm attaching (hopefully) brisket I smoked this past weekend to practice for competition this upcoming weekend. My wife took these photos while I was cutting. Please tell me what you think from what you can see in these attachments.

Thanks,

Dave

mobow
07-30-2013, 03:08 PM
That made me want to find a piece of white bread a couple of dill pickle spears and a napkin. Keith

Cue's Your Daddy
07-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Nice looking brisket. looks juicy. The slices look thick tho. I try to shoot for the size of a #2 pencil.

musicmanryann
07-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Looks excellent! I would +1 on the comment about slices being too thick. By the looks of it you cooked it pretty darn near perfect, so they should hold together fine being thinner.

CBQ
07-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Looks juicy. In addition to the thickness other mentioned, to me the slices also seem uneven. Use a long knife and try to cut evenly across the whole brisket.

loco_engr
07-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Open Question:

By looking at what appears to be the grain of the uncut
portion, it is not "across the grain", is that normal for comps
cuts?

Dtmara: Did it pass the pull test?

John Bowen
07-30-2013, 04:32 PM
It is hard for me to tell from that photo angle - it would help to see it like you would have it going into a box. Slices from the front

boogiesnap
07-30-2013, 05:57 PM
sure looks about right!

thick or thin, the slices should probably be more even. easier said than done though, i know!

schmitty28
07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
brisket looks great, agree slices look uneven I have the same problem any suggestions from you pros on how to get consistant even slices(maybe some kind of guide)

CBQ
07-31-2013, 05:06 PM
brisket looks great, agree slices look uneven I have the same problem any suggestions from you pros on how to get consistant even slices(maybe some kind of guide)

Cut a chunk off some where you aren't going to turn in, and use it as a guide. Other than the spacing (which I found distracting) I thought it looked quite good.

bignburlyman
08-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Open Question:

By looking at what appears to be the grain of the uncut
portion, it is not "across the grain", is that normal for comps
cuts?

Dtmara: Did it pass the pull test?

It looks to me to be cut at a slight bias across the grain, it definately is not with the grain. I have judged some contest entries that were sliced with the grain, it could not be pull tested even with a winch, but amazingly enough the chew was decently tender.