PDA

View Full Version : Beer, Bourban and BBQ, Cary NC

Kave Dweller
07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Any Bretheren members cooking at this thing?

Pole D
07-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I'll be cooking at the one in Cary, NC this weekend.

Kave Dweller
07-30-2013, 12:40 PM
My son is stationed in Fayettville, he is heading there this weekend asked what to expect.

Pole D
07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm assuming he is coming in as a customer and not a competition team. The teams are in a side parking lot on the outside of the event. I'll be there with team "My Cousin Piggy". It's not my regular team. Just something a few of us threw together.

There are two sessions: Friday and Saturday. You can buy tickets to either day or one for both. Crazy thing is all of the beer and bourbon (vodka, tequila, scotch, whiskey, jager etc.) you want are included in your ticket price but you have to pay for food.

In my opinion, the Friday night session (6pm-10pm) is the better of the two. Same setup drink wise on both days but there are fewer people and you get a plate of food on Friday night. The evening brings some relief from the hot temps and the smaller crowd is great.

Saturday has two tickets. One is a VIP ticket that is for 12-6 and the regular session ticket is for 2-6. Food is not included on Saturday but they do have vendors. A ton more people. He will notice the difference if he has a VIP ticket. You don't need a watch to know when 2pm comes around. You'll just see all the lines get longer. As far as the heat goes, it can get miserable. Think about doing shots at 1-3pm with the sun beating down on you. Bad combination if you aren't careful. I've seen a few people get crazy and do face plants! Very important to stay hydrated!

By the way tell him to make sure the swivel for his neck is in good working condition because there is some talent walking around this event.

Final piece of advice - tell him to have a DD or get a cab. The place is crawling with cops ready to pull people over.

Kave Dweller
07-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the advice is the comp KCBS? MBN?

Pole D
07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
It is NCBS. Only 3 meats: pork, ribs and chicken. From what I understand, they will have 20 teams competing.

Last year was my first year competing in this event. It was very disorganized from the NCBS side. I've decided to give it another shot mainly because it is about 15 miles from my house. I'm hoping it is better this year so I continue competing in it. In fact, it was so disorganized last year that my regular teammates did not want to do it this year. That is why I'm entering under a different team name with new teammates.

ButchB
07-30-2013, 03:23 PM
I'll be there also. Looking forward to it I just hope they have the bugs from last year worked out. My first concern already is that we can't even arrive to set up til 6pm. Gonna be rushed just trying to set up, get meat inspected, prep, etc.

Pole D
07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Hey Butch - The email I got said you can get there at 4pm. Of course the rules that were attached said 6pm. I'm going by the email.

bbq.tom
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I'll be cooking at the one in Cary, NC this weekend.

Hey Chris,

I'll look you up after judging is over. Any other Brethren also.

GOOD LUCK!

Pole D
07-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Hey Chris,

I'll look you up after judging is over. Any other Brethren also.

GOOD LUCK!

You got it Tom.

Like I mentioned above, I'll be with "My Cousin Piggy" not my normal team "Dancing Moose BBQ".

It will be good seeing you again.

George :caked:

ButchB
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey Butch - The email I got said you can get there at 4pm. Of course the rules that were attached said 6pm. I'm going by the email.

Oh really? Wow, I haven't received any emails or anything from them since maybe March when I signed up. Is there anything else? I sent her an email to see if she can get me some updates. Thanks!

Pole D
07-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward the email I received. It has a copy of the rules and a picture of the team spaces. Spaces are assigned on a first come first serve basis.

Kave Dweller
07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys, good luck to all

fat heads bbq
07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
we will be there this weekend. pole d is right about the disorganization last year. hopefully it will be better this year. we do it for the same reasons. it's close to home and thankfully no brisket. good luck to everyone goin.

Kave Dweller
07-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Brisket isn't my problem, now if I could find a comp without chicken life would be good.

Pole D
08-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Congrats to Fat Heads BBQ for takeing GC! Job well done.

Butch from The Pit Que also won a couple of awards and we took 4th in chicken and 2nd in pork.

14 awards overall in the competition (4 in each category, GC and RGC). The three of us managed to win 8 of them! So I'd say the forum was well represented!

bbq.tom
08-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Congratulations to FatHeads and all who got calls and walked!!!

Great to see some friendly faces and get to talk with a few of you!

Any way possible the calls can be posted? I'm interested on how everyone did.

Also, how was the organization this year compared to last year. I know there were many issues last year. From a judges perspective, it seemed to go pretty well.

Thanks!

fat heads bbq
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
cary was fun. still cant believe we got GC. congrats to the pit que, and my cousin piggy, and another clayton team redneck sci. congrats to evil quenievil on reserve. it was better organized this year. Jim Early runs this show. Only 1 type of pork. Only 6 offerings of chicken and ribs. And no garnish. works for me. as always talked with great people and
really enjoyed our neighbors.

when i get the results from sarah iwillpost them. hopefully she will have them monday.

Pole D
08-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Great seeing you again Tom.

Sarah said she would email all results on Monday. Organization was better this year. Only a small hiccup in that the boxes were numbered on the bottom instead of the top. I still don't get why you use an analog clock instead of a digital if you are serious about dq'ing teams for being late.

As fat heads said Jim Early runs the show. Makes for a long cook's meeting. Only getting to turn in one style of pork, only 6 thighs and only 6 ribs was a little different but it is what it is. It was a fun time. Of course the beer and bourbon part doesn't hurt things!

bbq.tom
08-04-2013, 08:53 PM
As fat heads said Jim Early runs the show. Makes for a long cook's meeting.

I TOTALLY understand! KCBS judge's meetings usually last about 20 minutes, but Jim took at least 1 hour and 20 minutes! Lots of stories!

Market Hunter
08-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Congrats Fatheads!!!!:clap2: Way to represent the 27520. I wish I was there to see you guys get that walk. I got a beer for you guys the next time I see you!

With the exception of one human's egotistical, narrow minded, self-centered and unsubstantiated bbq bias leading to endless meaningless grandiose ramblings, it was a nice getaway from the usual contest scene. We enjoyed being around a lot of our local teams. It's nice to see the growth of competition bbq in our area.

bbq.tom
08-05-2013, 02:51 PM
With the exception of one human's egotistical, narrow minded, self-centered and unsubstantiated bbq bias leading to endless meaningless grandiose ramblings, it was a nice getaway from the usual contest scene.

I think that it was VERY small price to pay for the opportunity to compete in Cary!

Verbose, definitely, but he has done more for NC barbecue than MOST individuals.

Market Hunter
08-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Verbose, definitely, but he has done more for NC barbecue than MOST individuals.

He is NC bbq if I believed what he told me.

Sorry in advance for being so winded in my reply.

ButchB
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Congrats to everybody! Despite the heat, long lectures, and crazy rules, it was still a good time.

I emailed Sara today to find out about the scores that we were supposed to have by Monday. She said it will probably be the end of the week. wtf? Maybe everybody should email her and that will encourage her to spend the 5 minutes needed to email them out.

Pole D
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Don't expect too much Butch. Last year they only gave an overall score for each category. Not individual scores for taste, tenderness and appearance.

BMerrill
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Why don't they sanction the contest with KCBS?
NC could use another KCBS contest closer to the coast.
Most are in the western part of the state.

bbq.tom
08-07-2013, 11:43 AM

I would imagine that it is a combination of the organizer not knowing any better and the North Carolina Barbecue Society (NCBS a.k.a. Jim Early) convincing the organizer to keep NCBS as the sanctioning body - been NCBS for SEVERAL years.

I agree, that it would be nice to have more KCBS contests around the eastern half of NC, but it is also nice to have more than just KCBS as a presence here in NC.
Currently in NC (as of 2013), KCBS is sanctioning 13 contests, MBN sanctions one (Charlotte), NCBS sanctions one (Cary), the Southern Barbecue Network (SBN) sanctions one (Spruce Pine), and the North Carolina Pork Council (NCPC) sanctions 20 (almost all of them in the eastern part of NC). There are also numerous non-sanctioned contests statewide (Hillsborough Hog Day probably being one of the largest, along with the Shriners contest in Raleigh, as well as plenty of others).

If you are looking for a contest in NC, there are LOTS around! Still, another KCBS in eastern NC would be nice.

Pole D
08-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Well I received the email from Sarah today. This is what she gave me score wise:

TEAM NAME CHICKEN PLACE PORK PLACE RIBS PLACE OVERALL PLACE
My Cousin Piggy 131.1 4 140 2 103 15 124.6 7

No other breakdown. I replied and asked her if she could send me a breakdown of the score based on appearance, taste and tenderness and also send me how other teams did so I can see who was above me and who was below me.

Honestly don't know what the hell happened with the ribs. They were some of the best we've made. Of course Redneck Scientific thought their ribs were some of the worst they've ever made and they ended up 1st in ribs.

ButchB
08-07-2013, 07:37 PM
I haven't received anything yet. Seems like she is making it harder than it needs to be. She should just copy all the scores down (every team), and send it out once in a mass email to everybody that entered. Seems much easier than doing it one team at a time.

Market Hunter
08-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Your wish may be granted depending on if things come together or not with a certain town's council.

Market Hunter
08-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Honestly don't know what the hell happened with the ribs. They were some of the best we've made. Of course Redneck Scientific thought their ribs were some of the worst they've ever made and they ended up 1st in ribs.

Don't take these scores seriously! It sounds to me that you are on the right track to developing a profile that you have confidence with so stick with it!

For instance, our ribs were burned on the bottom and finished first. The chicken was lightly smoked, perfectly cooked, with little sauce and finished near last.

If one was to attempt to seriously infer some reasoning from our scores, one may lean towards a up front heavy smoke smell/initial taste, with a cigarette ash tray glaze and a rotten hog after taste as a future profile.

(Disclaimer: I am not saying we are on the level of "best trained judges in the world"..but...we have been partially responsible for the death of over 150 hogs in the past 2 years we've competed so we "kind of" have a decent grasp of what sucks and what does not. )

Seriously, if we have learned anything the past 3 years doing this contest it is : do not take anything seriously from these scores and imply that your methods/products are sub-standard. A lot of these judges are just judging this one contest per year using one person's "vision" of what is bbq. Training means nothing if you do not apply it consistently and frequently.

Use what you learned at this contest and apply it again next year if you choose to do this contest again. Do not use it in KCBS or you will be more frustrated.

Pole D
08-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Use what you learned at this contest and apply it again next year if you choose to do this contest again. Do not use it in KCBS or you will be more frustrated.

I think you are right on with this. Of course finishing 2nd for pork at this event has me worried about pork for the next KCBS event.

I did get overall team points and standing from Sarah and I've gone back to her to get team points and standings for each meat category.

When I asked for individual scores on appearance, taste and tenderness she replied that according to NCBS rules she can not give those out! :crazy:

bbq.tom
08-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't take these scores seriously!

Seriously, if we have learned anything the past 3 years doing this contest it is : do not take anything seriously from these scores and imply that your methods/products are sub-standard. A lot of these judges are just judging this one contest per year using one person's "vision" of what is bbq. Training means nothing if you do not apply it consistently and frequently.

In part I agree; however, I also must respectfully disagree with some of this statement.
At least half of the 18 judges who judged this contest are also KCBS CBJs. A few of us judge multiple sanctioning organizations contests.
As with ANY contest, it truly helps to know the standards and rules that govern that organizations contest. Just like becoming a CBJ in KCBS so that you have an idea what the judges are looking for, same with NCBS. The standards for NCBS are NOT the same as KCBS!!!
An example is that ribs in KCBS need to have a "tug" when a judge bites off the bone - for NCBS judges are taught to look for practically "fall off the bone" tender. Just one example.

Bottom line, NCBS is different than KCBS and judges are not judging the same as KCBS. Use the scores here to improve THIS contest, but not to change anything for other contests.

Market Hunter
08-08-2013, 02:22 PM
Tom, just for kicks...can you clarify NCBS Judge's standards for Chicken and Pork (besides the "fill up the box with chopped" statement made during the cooks' meeting)?

fat heads bbq
08-08-2013, 04:12 PM
well here are our scores chicken 145.1 (1) pork 114 (11) guess they didnt like chunked :doh::doh: ribs 138.3 (4) overall 132.5 (1)

wouldve liked to see everyones scores. oh well. it is what it is.

smokeyw
08-09-2013, 04:03 PM
I think that it was VERY small price to pay for the opportunity to compete in Cary!

I had a conversation with him a few years ago right before I dropped my NCBS membership. He is definitely a "legend in his own mind".

Jealous Pig BBQ
08-10-2013, 09:48 AM
well here are our scores chicken 145.1 (1) pork 114 (11) guess they didnt like chunked :doh::doh: ribs 138.3 (4) overall 132.5 (1)

wouldve liked to see everyones scores. oh well. it is what it is.
New to the forum and our first contest.
Here are our scores:
Chicken 119.3 (8th), Pork 132.6 (5th) and Ribs 134.1 (7th) - Overall 128.6 (3rd)

We had a great time and enjoyed talking with everyone.

bbq.tom
08-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Tom, just for kicks...can you clarify NCBS Judge's standards for Chicken and Pork (besides the "fill up the box with chopped" statement made during the cooks' meeting)?

It was great to meet you and talk with you in Franklin today. I know where you are coming from on Jim and NCBS. I guess that we just have to accept that he's not going change. Maybe KCBS can take over this one.

CarterK
08-10-2013, 09:14 PM
I had the pleasure of judging alongside Tom at this event. Great guy and very helpful to a first time judge.

And I have no idea whether I tried Fat Heads BBQ or not, but I thought the chunked was some of the best.