PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Super Saturday Smoke Out - Gilman, IL September 7

ITBFQ
07-28-2013, 06:09 PM
My dad and I are organizing a rib cook off to take place during Gilman's Super Saturday event. Gilman is my home town, and has been home to most of my family for several generations. All proceeds from the contest will go to benefit the Gilman Volunteer Fire Department - my dad has been a member for ages, and my grandfather and great grandfather both served as fire chief. The ribs only cook off will happen alongside a car show, motorcycle show, tractor show and old timey tractor demonstrations. Some of these old tractors and engines run on steam - pretty neat! Last year they even had a frying pan tossing contest for the ladies! Anyway, if you have questions, just ask. I am going to create a facebook page for it, too, and will add the link when it is complete. Thank you for reading!

Ron_L
07-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Is there an entry fee? Any idea on the prize amounts? What are the rules?

ITBFQ
07-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Is there an entry fee? Any idea on the prize amounts? What are the rules?

Thank you for asking!

Entry fee is $35.
Tentative prize amounts are 1st - $100, 2nd - $50, 3rd - $25 (thinking about changing this to $35).
KCBS rules for garnish and meat inspection apply. Any kind of cooker is allowed. Water and electricity will be available. 9"x9" clamshell provided. CBJs and some local "celebrity" judges. Plenty of space available for teams to set up on the main street of the sprawling metropolis of Gilman (population 1,800).

ITBFQ
07-28-2013, 08:10 PM
If you use facebook, feel free to check out www.facebook.com/supersaturdaysmokeout for questions or anything.

I'll also be looking for CBJs to judge the ribs. I'm hoping to have 4 CBJs and 2 "local celebrity" judges at each table.

Thanks guys and gals!

cmohr74
08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Who's willing to take a drive out to the country for a rib throwdown? Seems like a good addition to the Glen Ellyn Backyard BBQ.

Ron_L
08-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I was thinking about it but we now have a family gathering that day.

ITBFQ
08-12-2013, 01:40 PM
The Super Saturday Smoke Out is now an official Illinois State Championship! I just got the proclamation from the Governor's office in the mail today. If you are thinking about doing this competition, please sign up soon. We are getting nervous that we may have to cancel due to lack of interest. Thanks!

kwas68
08-14-2013, 11:14 AM
I'm interested. Will know for sure this evening.

kwas68
08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm in!

ITBFQ
08-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Anyone else considering signing up? Right now, we stand at one confirmed entry. I'd love to get this contest off the ground, but it seems like there might be a lack of interest. Thanks guys and gals!

ITBFQ
08-30-2013, 10:02 PM
We have five teams signed up! Big Daddy Dan, The South Side Pit Men, and a few local teams - Coal Chute BBQ, Up in Smoke BBQ, RubNIt Raw BBQ! Please consider making the drive down south to support the Gilman Volunteer Fire Department.