PDA

View Full Version : Which is Worse?

Just BS
07-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Doing my first comp next weekend and I am sure I am over thinking this, but is it better to turn in ribs that are over done (fallin off the bone) or underdonr (tough to chew). I am sure that perfection is the answer...but I would think that overdone would be better and I should shoot for that.

boogiesnap
07-27-2013, 08:52 PM
overdone "better".

but you'll prolly get hammered with either. different sanctioning bodies have different criteria though.

Harbormaster
07-27-2013, 09:02 PM
I would think that overdone would be better and I should shoot for that.

Why would you go into your first comp with the attitude that your goal should be overcooked ribs?

Your goal should be perfectly cooked ribs. Every.Single.Time.

If you turn in undercooked or overcooked ribs, suck it up and move on. But neither option should be your goal.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-27-2013, 10:01 PM
if you can barely cut them they are perfect, no such thing as overdone

Q-Dat
07-28-2013, 12:02 AM
if you can barely cut them they are perfect, no such thing as overdone

I am finding that there is truth in this statement. It seems that for many there is the rib thatvthey have been told is perfect, and the rib that they actually love to eat. IMHO the whole perfect bite mark thing is a source of much confusion. I think its a poor way to determine rib doneness.

Kit R
07-28-2013, 07:25 AM
I once heard a very wise man say "overdone beats underdone every time". Also, a friend of mine who was doing his very first comp yesterday made a very insightful commentary about the makeup of the judges' pool and I think that would also support the overdone better than underdone hypothesis.

ModelMaker
07-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Makes absolutley no difference to me, either way you lose the same points...
Ed

loco_engr
07-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Are you real sure you should go to the
expense, time, effort and not to leave
out the stress factor in a comp.?
Just saying, that maybe you're not
that confident in how your ribs
have turned out in the past.
Good Luck to you!
Let us know how you did.

Lake Dogs
07-28-2013, 09:41 AM
While slicing/pulling, putting in the clam shell, toting across the yard, having the box wait to be put on a table, and then opened up for appearance, BBQ will cool. As it cools, it firms up a little. That perfect KCBS rib going in the clam shell often as not is a bit tough to chew 20 or so minutes later...

You're asking "which side to err". Like you said, perfect is perfect, but slightly over cooked is often forgiven. Falling apart will get you killed, but that ever-so-slightly under-cooked tough rib will get you killed quickly.

Chenernator
07-28-2013, 10:53 AM
From a judge's perspective - perfect (excellent, as Kelly McIntosh says, "there is no perfect BBQ.") gets you a 9. Slightly overdone might still get a you a 9 with some judges, but I'm giving you an 8. Perfect bite-through, but on the drier side also gets an 8. If you get it mushy, you're probably a 7.

Underdone, however, and you're lucky to get 8 and probably getting a 7.

Harry Soo also says overdone is better. He's right; judges tend to be more forgiving of over vs under.

Podge
07-28-2013, 11:57 AM
overdone is better than underdone on anything. An Overdone rib will firm up a tad before the judge gets a hold of it.

Bentley
07-28-2013, 12:09 PM
It is dependent on the judge.

As far as a rib score goes. When taking into account the judges oath..."objectively and subjectively evaluate each Barbeque meat that is presented"...My subjective nature tells me I like a rib that is slightly "overcooked". Not a term I would use, as I like a rib that does not have tug. So if it is very tender, it is properly cooked.

I am just the opposite with Pork. I would prefer a piece with a little more firmness then mushy. Just the way judges are made up!

bassandbeer
07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Depends on the judges, but I would say overdone...

Just BS
07-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've never put a rib in a turn in box and I didn't know they would firm up a bit with time. I knew I was in the right place! :thumb:

As for the quote below, I am dead confident in my ribs and technique. Love 'em and they kick ass. But I am not cooking for myself, I am cooking for judges.... from California at that. This is actually a local contest that is NOT sanctioned by KCBS or any other group, so what is gonna make them happy vs. what a certified judge thinks are two different things. I could probably boil them and finish on a propane grill (allowed) slathered in sauce and might do well.

How long it takes and the time alotted is something I am not used to. I am a "When its done, its done" kind of cook. However, this comp starts at 8a (check in at 7a) and turn in time is 1:30p. I also have to provide 50 additional ribs (taste) for a fund raiser and the peoples choice award, which is a little out of my eliment ~ but totally do able.

Lastly, the rules say I must turn in 8 ribs. they can be either wet or dry or 50/50. I prefer dry, but since this Cali, I am leaning towards wet. Possibly go the 3-2-1 route. Any thoughts?

Are you real sure you should go to the
expense, time, effort and not to leave
out the stress factor in a comp.?
Just saying, that maybe you're not
that confident in how your ribs
have turned out in the past.
Good Luck to you!
Let us know how you did.

bbq.tom
07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Since this is an unsanctioned contest with non-CBJs, I would definitely go for the fall-off-the-bone tenderness!!!

I've judged rib comps with celebrities and they are looking for overdone ribs compared to usual contest ribs.

Good luck!

Wampus
07-29-2013, 09:21 AM
While slicing/pulling, putting in the clam shell, toting across the yard, having the box wait to be put on a table, and then opened up for appearance, BBQ will cool. As it cools, it firms up a little. That perfect KCBS rib going in the clam shell often as not is a bit tough to chew 20 or so minutes later...

You're asking "which side to err". Like you said, perfect is perfect, but slightly over cooked is often forgiven. Falling apart will get you killed, but that ever-so-slightly under-cooked tough rib will get you killed quickly.

I think that ^^^ THIS ^^^ is the real secret to the "doneness factor" not just for ribs, but for all meats. Understanding what happens to that meat from the time you close the lid on the turn in box to the time the judges open it, even to the time they actually TASTE the meat is key.

Every team out there has to think about this if they want to win. The teams that can adjust for this will do better, IMHO. Of course, there's also no one single solution either. Every contest, every group of judges, every situation is different. This is why there's some amount of "luck" that goes into comp BBQ: It's really a roll of the dice as to how long your particular box will sit before opened and even which table it ends up at.

To answer the OP's question: I'd first agree with Clark: you should be shooting for perfection every time. Don't set "overdone" as a goal. Just know that IF they feel really loose when you slice, as long as you can get them sliced and in the box ON THE BONE, knowing that they'll cool and tighten up a bit after you box them, I'd feel better about sending slightly overdone ribs than underdone.

STILL.....we always want to put HOT, perfectly done ribs in the box every time.

bruno994
07-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Agreed with the above, unsanctioned means fall off the bone tender.

DawgPhan
07-29-2013, 11:40 AM
overcooked BBQ wins every single weekend.

Undercooked BBQ almost never gets called.

Just BS
07-30-2013, 11:35 AM
overcooked BBQ wins every single weekend.

Undercooked BBQ almost never gets called.

I think that right there says it all... :clap: