PDA

View Full Version : Sauce

Hooked4Life
07-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Our first comp is on Saturday. How do you guys make your sauce on site? I assume you can't use a propane or electric burner?

Q-Dat
07-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Our first comp is on Saturday. How do you guys make your sauce on site? I assume you can't use a propane or electric burner?

Either one is allowed. I bring a Coleman 2 burner stove to heat sauce and meat drippings.

Balls Casten
07-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Mini loaf foil pan on the smoker.

BaggerBill
07-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Do you have to make your sauce on site or can you make it ahead of time at home?

beerguy
07-27-2013, 06:38 PM
You can make it ahead of time. Good luck.

cpw
07-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Definitely make it ahead of time.

loco_engr
07-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Agree with making sauce ahead of time . . .
gives it time to get happy and blend.

Good Luck!

BaggerBill
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the answers!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-27-2013, 10:35 PM
buy it from the store or order online, makes life much easier and taste much more consistent. good luck

Big Country BBQ
07-28-2013, 12:37 PM
pour ours right out the bottle and turn it in got 5th out of 54 teams!!!

DepChief22
07-28-2013, 03:20 PM
I make mine as well, I would love to buy it. What is the most popular? I don't want any secrets just a type.

SlicksBBQ
07-29-2013, 06:42 AM
I make mine as well, I would love to buy it. What is the most popular? I don't want any secrets just a type.

Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Head Country Original just to name a few popular ones. Mix some together to get a flavor you like and try it out.

bbq.tom
07-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Blues Hog Original, Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Head Country Original just to name a few popular ones. Mix some together to get a flavor you like and try it out.

Just a word of caution from a judge - Be careful with using "Blues Hog", as it has a VERY distinctive flavor that will mask the meat flavor on ANYTHING that it is put on!
Myself, along with MANY other judges are getting VERY tired of tasting "Blues Hog" on anything as we can't taste the flavor of the meat.

Sawdustguy
07-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Why make your own sauce? There are commercially available sauces that the manufacturers have spent years perfecting. Don't re-invent the wheel. Buy a sauce and doctor it up if you must.

Just BS
07-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Why make your own sauce? There are commercially available sauces that the manufacturers have spent years perfecting. Don't re-invent the wheel. Buy a sauce and doctor it up if you must.

That's kind of my thing now. Whenever I'm at the grocery store I always try and buy the cheapest, discontinued brand (usually less than a dollar a pint) and then bring it home and doctor it up. I have a pretty good mix going on right now. Mix and heat it up the day before, after it cooks put it into a mason jar and put in fridge. I like the foil pan idea for comps.

Just BS
07-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Just a word of caution from a judge - Be careful with using "Blues Hog", as it has a VERY distinctive flavor that will mask the meat flavor on ANYTHING that it is put on!
Myself, along with MANY other judges are getting VERY tired of tasting "Blues Hog" on anything as we can't taste the flavor of the meat.

For comps, what about sauces with whiskey in them????

bbq.tom
07-29-2013, 01:22 PM

If they mask the flavor of the meat then "NO!".

Generally speaking, the sauces we encounter in the judging tent are semi-sweet (NOT TOO sweet!), with a wee bit of heat (NOT TOO MUCH heat!), and they enhance the flavor of the meat. Usually, it is NOT a 1-sauce fits all! Different sauces enhance the flavors of meat differently.

tnjimbob
07-29-2013, 01:30 PM
definitely make sauce @ home before the comp. Find a sauce you like & doctor it - add pineapple juice, dry rub, a drop of hot sauce, molasses, honey, etc. Make it your own.

SlicksBBQ
07-30-2013, 06:39 AM
We mix them together with other sauces and spices, so we don't use any sauce at full strength.

Lake Dogs
07-30-2013, 08:59 AM
If they mask the flavor of the meat then "NO!".

Generally speaking, the sauces we encounter in the judging tent are semi-sweet (NOT TOO sweet!), with a wee bit of heat (NOT TOO MUCH heat!), and they enhance the flavor of the meat. Usually, it is NOT a 1-sauce fits all! Different sauces enhance the flavors of meat differently.

^^^ +1 what he said from a judges perspective

When I compete, I make my own sauce on-site, but it's made from 3 different sauces and water (in different amounts), all applied HOT, so I bring my coleman stoves, mix and heat the different sauces on-site.

Pigs on Fire
07-30-2013, 09:20 AM
The OP asked about heating sauce up at a competition.

He didn't ask about whether or not using Blues Hog on meat on Saturday was a good idea.

We cooks are getting tired of hearing what predisposition the judges have acquired. If you are tired of eating free BBQ on Saturday, find another time filler.

I'm sure the comment about the Blues Hog was meant in earnest and as an aid...but the truth of the matter is there's too much yap going on from some judges between turn-ins in an attempt to indoctrinate other judges, whether they be noobs or just 'keep to themselves' quiet judges. Sitting there telling another judge who's never seen nor heard of Blues Hog or any other sauce for that matter, that teams are using too much _________ Sauce or there's too many teams using it is wrong.

What makes it worse is to get a comment card on pork saying "Burnt ends were too dry".... :rolleyes:

Uomograsso
07-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Just remember, it is a meat contest, not a sauce contest.

Lake Dogs
07-30-2013, 04:08 PM

From a guy who loves whiskey and drinks good whiskey straight (am right now as I type), whiskey tends to be an overpowering flavor in BBQ. I've never seen it score well...

PanamaExpat
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
^^ I agree... A good single malt belongs in a glass with a couple ice cubes... not in a BBQ sauce.

bbq.tom
07-31-2013, 11:19 AM
The OP asked about heating sauce up at a competition.

He didn't ask about whether or not using Blues Hog on meat on Saturday was a good idea.

That is CORRECT, the OP didn't ask about Blues Hog - HOWEVER, if you had read the entire thread you would have seen that comment #12 specifically called out Blues Hog as a popular sauce - THEREFORE it was open for comment.

We cooks are getting tired of hearing what predisposition the judges have acquired. If you are tired of eating free BBQ on Saturday, find another time filler.

If ANYTHING that is being used as a sauce or as a sauce flavoring completely masks the flavor of the meat then I don't see that as a "predisposition the judges have acquired", except to say that the flavor of the meat can no longer be tasted. The use of cinnamon, if used in heavy enough quantities to mask the flavor of meat, would be just as bad as "Blues Hog" or anything else. BH is typical of KC style barbecue that is ALL about the sauce, and the meat is just a carrier for the sauce. As others have stated: it is a meat contest - HOWEVER, sauce is added to "enhance" the flavor of the meat - NOT to "mask" it.

I'm sure the comment about the Blues Hog was meant in earnest and as an aid...but the truth of the matter is there's too much yap going on from some judges between turn-ins in an attempt to indoctrinate other judges, whether they be noobs or just 'keep to themselves' quiet judges. Sitting there telling another judge who's never seen nor heard of Blues Hog or any other sauce for that matter, that teams are using too much _________ Sauce or there's too many teams using it is wrong.

You are correct, the comment was meant in earnest and as an aid. As for the "YAP" going on and judges attempting to indoctrinate other judges by telling them that teams are using too much ________ sauce or too many teams are using it - I've definitely NOT heard that nor anything similar. What I have heard are seasoned judges telling others that they couldn't taste the meat because of the flavor in/of the sauce. You must judge a lot to know that "the truth of the matter is...".

See comments in the quote box above in RED
And as for your comment about me being "tired of eating free BBQ on Saturday", I am only tired of eating BBQ where I can't taste the flavor of the meat due to the amount of sauce, or due to the flavor of the sauce! "Find another time filler" - I THINK NOT, I just hope cooks get back to enhancing the flavor of the meat instead of masking it! MOST cooks that I've encountered are either NOT using BH anymore or are cutting it to the point that the flavor is no longer overpowering the meat. I LOVE barbecue - and ALL aspects of barbecue competitions - judging, cooking, and organizing! I'm just trying to help the sport.

roksmith
07-31-2013, 11:47 AM
It's a one bite game. When Blues Hog and the like stop scoring well, the teams will stop using them. Those who think it's a meat contest are fooling themselves.. At least when it comes to KCBS contests.

Pigs on Fire
07-31-2013, 12:56 PM
Hey BBQ Tom....

The flavor profiles and techniques that score well are a direct result of the people behind the pencils under the judging tent.

walrus79
07-31-2013, 01:49 PM
PoF, thanks for your comments! I agree very much. There's a reason BH is used so frequently...IT'S GOOD! I get the notion that judges aren't impressed with or score down an entry because they can identify the sauce. It you like it, who cares what brand it is, score it well!

The Free Food Committee, err, judges have so many predisposed opinions in their head and it affects their judging for sure. I think they are looking for this golden box to come down from over the judges tent and tickle their taste buds to the point of nearly passing out. Anything short of that they give a 7 or 8...rarely a 9, especially if it's got BH.

I love the comment when they walk around afterward, "Eat anything good today"? "Not really". Really? We just stayed up half the night trying to perfect our craft and the you can't even garner a white lie to appease us? I always want to tell that judge, fine, go set up an EZ up and pull your smoker out next week and light a match and do it better! But I don't, I go pour a drink and take it with a grain of salt!

Ok, off my soap box! ;-)

Oh and BTW, we mix commercial sauces and heat in sauce pans onsite

schmitty28
07-31-2013, 04:42 PM
I believe there are way too many commercial sauces out there that have been perfected to the buyers taste that its hard to as one poster said reinvent the wheel use what you like and doctor it up if you think its missing that extra something as for the BH comments I like it, but could see where some judges probably think its getting to the point with so many using it that it all tastes the same just saying