PDA

View Full Version : Hello from South Chicago-land...

BackPorchFireball
07-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Hello all! I'm hailing from the far south Chicago suburbs. I've been barbecueing for about 20 years or so, and I really like to play with fire - I'm the one who tends the pit at our house (so far, that is), and my wife (the chef) is the one who does most of the prep work. We've been been watching the pitmasters series on Netflix, and we've been inspired to make some really awesome barbecue.

Today, Home Depot dropped off my new toy: a Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Edition offset smoker grill. Until now, I've mostly grilled on Weber kettles, the occasional Smoky Joe, and an old hibachi. I've ordered the aftermarket gasket + latches kit that's available for this model, as well as a new dual-probe wireless thermometer. And last but not least, I picked up a copy of Wicked Good Barbecue, to help get me going.

I've always been happy sticking to the grilling duties, with my wife preparing everything for the grill. She's an awesome chef, and her BBQ sauce won a couple of contests back in culinary school. I've been a lot more interested in the whole process lately, and I'm looking forward to exploring the differences in techniques between really good home grilling/smoking, and competition-style BBQ. For right now, however - I just can't wait to get home and get a fire burning in that new smoker-grill!

BTW - I've been loving the "your worst box ever!" thread... what an awesome resource! It sure helps my sense of perspective :thumb:to see the mistakes that others are willing to share. Thanks to all who posted on that thread - what a great read. :)

BackPorchFireball

1 Brinkman Trailmaster Limited Edition offset grill/smoker - delivered today
1 full-size Weber kettle
1 Homer Simpson smoky joe
Mom's old hibachi LOL

Thermal Mass
07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Welcome from Wisconsin!
There is a pretty good band of brothers in your area, watch out!:shock:

loco_engr
07-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Welcome and Good Luck to ya!

LMAJ
07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Welcome to the party!

Big George's BBQ
07-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Welcome

TY~DY
07-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Welcome, from Naples, FL!

bluetang
07-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.