PDA

View Full Version : Master Chef Lobster Cookoff

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I am competing tomorrow night in a Lobster cookoff and I am grilling lobster tails wrapped in a bacon weave. I ran a test run last night and the results were stellar. I have 45 minutes to complete the cook and I am looking for ideas for a side dish to plate with the lobster roll. I did a risotto last night with it but I don't think I will attempt it tomorrow. Any Ideas? The ingredients cannot be prepared in advance. The other handicap is that all the contestants must share a common grill.

Thanks,

Jed

mobow
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
A stuffed grilled tomato might go well.

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 11:05 AM
A stuffed grilled tomato might go well.
Thats a great possibility! Thanks

Thermal Mass
07-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Roasted red pepper & corn salsa?

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Roasted red pepper & corn salsa?
I like your thinking but sharing a grill space might make that a bit of a challenge.

Scottie
07-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Grill Asparagus.. maybe even wrap it with some prosciutto

Thermal Mass
07-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I like your thinking but sharing a grill space might make that a bit of a challenge.

Figured soak and start the corn and pepper on the side of the grill out of the the competitors way. You can't really fark either one up. The corn steams in the husk and the pepper skin will be removed.
Quick and easy prep, skin the pepper and dice, shuck and cut the corn, add a squeeze of lime and small dice of cilantro-Done.

Like seeing what other ideas come in.

Best of luck in the comp and take some pics if you can!!:thumb:

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Grill Asparagus.. maybe even wrap it with some prosciutto
Lots of that was done last year. It's a favorite of mine though, thanks

boogiesnap
07-23-2013, 11:59 AM
artichoke hearts?

deguerre
07-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Dude. You've got savory. Grill some fresh pineapple wedges with a bourbon brown sugar glaze to compliment.

Ron_L
07-23-2013, 12:08 PM
I am competing tomorrow night in a Lobster cookoff and I am grilling lobster tails wrapped in a bacon weave. I ran a test run last night and the results were stellar. I have 45 minutes to complete the cook and I am looking for ideas for a side dish to plate with the lobster roll. I did a risotto last night with it but I don't think I will attempt it tomorrow. Any Ideas? The ingredients cannot be prepared in advance. The other handicap is that all the contestants must share a common grill.

I know this isn't the question, but are you par cooking the bacon? I would think that the lobster would be overcooked by the time the bacon was done.

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 12:15 PM
I know this isn't the question, but are you par cooking the bacon? I would think that the lobster would be overcooked by the time the bacon was done.
Last night I did not. I wrapped the weave and then foiled it over. When the IT on the lobster reached 100 degrees, I unwrapped them and cooked the directly on the flames until the internal temp reach 140 and the the bacon was crisp. Pulled them off and sliced into medalions and served on top of the safron risotto. They were perfect.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Does it have to be a hot side dish. What about some kind of slaw. Would give it a decomposed lobster role type of feel.

boogiesnap
07-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Dude. You've got savory. Grill some fresh pineapple wedges with a bourbon brown sugar glaze to compliment.

IMHO. it'd be better to go with more savory for a side, which will then make the natural sweetness of the lobster meat stand out.

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Does it have to be a hot side dish. What about some kind of slaw. Would give it a decomposed lobster role type of feel.
I suck at slaws, despite many attempts. I need a tried and true recipe. Perhaps with some grilled pineapple

deguerre
07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
I've got a tried and true recipe that's become a favorite over on the Left coast...

Cast Iron Chef
07-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Grilled eggplant, some balsamic vinegar and maybe some Romona cheese.

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 01:54 PM
I've got a tried and true recipe that's become a favorite over on the Left coast...
Care 2 share?

deguerre
07-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Do a search here on "Guerry's slaw"...

Oh, OK then.:mrgreen:

Ingredients:One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2 cup vinegar
6 tbs sugar
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 ~ 2 tbs hot sauce to taste . (I've been using Sriracha lately)
Cooking Instructions:Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Do something light or something like mentioned earlier deconstructed lobster roll. Easting bacon wrapped lobster tail with risotto was probably good, but overwhelming with flavor and fat. Get some acid in the dish somehow, a bright side dish like a slaw would be awesome, with fennel, toasted sesame seeds, etc

TheJackal
07-23-2013, 02:54 PM
mac and cheese

deguerre
07-23-2013, 03:16 PM
mac and cheese

With lobster medallions?

Oh, and Jed. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of adding fresh pineapple and perhaps apple and some walnuts maybe to the slaw recipe for a change on occasion...

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-23-2013, 03:44 PM
I suck at slaws, despite many attempts. I need a tried and true recipe. Perhaps with some grilled pineapple

Bigmista makes a pineapple slaw. Perhaps a grilled pineapple slaw would be perfect.

TheJackal
07-23-2013, 05:44 PM
With lobster medallions?

Absolutely.

You've never had Lobster Mac & Cheese? :shocked:

http://highheelstohotwheels.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Cabana59.jpg

http://yummarksthespot.com/2011/11/03/smartly-me-lad-and-grab-that-lobster-mac-and-cheese/

landarc
07-23-2013, 06:07 PM
I would do a mango and citrus salsa, with a lobster shell foam and micro shiso greens. I would also prepare a simple herb oil, along the lines of basil, shiso, pepper leaves and olive or grapeseed oil, use that for plating. Then, I would prepare a powdered of Togarashi to apply as a dust condiment.

landarc
07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
But seriously...

Cut up some ripe mango and ripe sweet orange, into small cubes. Set aside.

Shave a medium heat red pepper into paper thin rounds, cure in sugar for 15 minutes.

Shave a shallot, a tiny one, salt for 10 mins, rinse thoroughly

Zest a lemon or key lime, reserve zest, mix juice and 2 tablespoons of a off-dry thite wine (think Moscato) with a touch of sugar

Combine all ingredients, Top with micro-greens, you want ones with a bit of a bite. Sprinkle with kosher salt, or better, some black salt. It will be beautiful, complement the lobster, contrast the bacon.

boogiesnap
07-23-2013, 07:09 PM
jed, who are the judges?

landarc
07-23-2013, 07:14 PM
if they are CBJ's, you want a little tug to the meat, if they are guest judges, you want the lobster fall off the bone.

boogiesnap
07-23-2013, 07:30 PM
if they are CBJ's, you want a little tug to the meat, if they are guest judges, you want the lobster fall off the bone.

stop that you.

you know what i mean.

if it were ME, i'd deshell the tail whole and fan out parmesan crisps touched with wild clover honey to look like the tail.

sprinkle with rendered diced bacon and drizzled with a butter ,cream, and carqmelized onion sauce made with the crushed head and body of the lobster, strained.

if it's CBJ's dunk it in blues hog and walk with the win. :laugh:

we're not helping you aqt this point are we?

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks Bob! Gotta try it!

CTSmokehouse
07-23-2013, 08:33 PM

I hope you mean deconstructed....Decomposed means Yuck!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CharredApron
07-23-2013, 09:55 PM
stop that you.

you know what i mean.

if it were ME, i'd deshell the tail whole and fan out parmesan crisps touched with wild clover honey to look like the tail.

sprinkle with rendered diced bacon and drizzled with a butter ,cream, and carqmelized onion sauce made with the crushed head and body of the lobster, strained.

if it's CBJ's dunk it in blues hog and walk with the win. :laugh:

we're not helping you aqt this point are we?
The judges are local chefs from some of the finer restaurants in the area. They will be looking for Bite Through Shells for sure!

landarc
07-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Blues Hog, cut with 25% Tennessee Red, wins everytime

it also comes in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th and all the way down to 23rd

boogiesnap
07-24-2013, 01:24 AM
jed'll need to wrap then.

deguerre
07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
jed'll need to wrap then.

He'll still get DQ'd for foreign objects with the shells.

timzcardz
07-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Yep, decomposed lobster. Nothing more appetizing than that! :crazy:

But then what should we expect from the guy that competed with PB&J Wings? :rolleyes:

Deconstructed might work though. :thumb:

Cue's Your Daddy
07-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Yep, decomposed lobster. Nothing more appetizing than that! :crazy:

But then what should we expect from the guy that competed with PB&J Wings? :rolleyes:

Deconstructed might work though. :thumb:

Was typing quick and I never even caught it until cliff pointed it out. AND can you say AWARD WINNING PB&J wings please:becky:

Cue's Your Daddy
07-25-2013, 08:19 AM
So how did you do, and what did you cook?