PDA

View Full Version : X-Country BBQ search

capnkrusty
07-20-2013, 06:47 PM
So I've just departed on a mid summer cross country road trip in search great BBQ, wines and regional foods and our first stop was Franklin BBQ. It is an all day experience unless you want to get there at 8:30 in the morning. We arrived at 10:40 for an 11:00 opening, knowing full well there was a bog line. We got in line and about 10 mins. later a young lady who had been working her way up the line stops at a group in front of us and says we're about out of food. She looks over at me and my gal and say's "you're last, as a matter of fact". So I grabbed the chairs from the car and we sat down and enjoyed the day chatting with people from all over. Oh, and yes the food is Top Notch! The brisket is the best we've had anywhere, juicy, with a great smoke ring and nicely flavored with out too much smoke. Franklins is not just food, it an event.

Gore
07-21-2013, 09:09 AM
That is one beautiful plate of food. Looking forward to your other stops. Incidentally, feel free to post other pics of interior/exterior, chefs, etc. We love to see it all. Sounds like a great trip -- a lot of us are jealous.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Glad you stuck it out. That food really looks worth the wait.

capnkrusty
07-21-2013, 11:16 PM
It was an all day event and it was absolutely worth it! Best brisket I've had yet, and the ribs were fantastic. I never have to sit in line for hours for good food again!

capnkrusty
07-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Round II came the next day as we were headed out toward Fredericksburg for some wine tasting. Not far from the outskirts of town is the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. It is at a beautiful location sharing the grounds with vineyards and a winery as well. The food was excellent, but I didn't care for their style of sauce. It was a honey/mustard blend that was a bit too sweet for my taste, but a lot of folks appeared to really enjoy it.