View Full Version : Nor-Cal FNG

Damn True
07-20-2013, 01:46 AM
Hello all,

My name is True and I have been a devotee of BBQ and soul food for ages. I started following the smoke with a Brinkmann Electric, then upgraded (?) to a Char-Broil and am looking to upgrade again sooner rather than later. I've tweaked it here and there to get the most out of it but it has become limiting. It's a nightmare for temp control and it's starting to burn through a couple of places in the firebox. I don't know if thw guys at my local rifle range would be interested in shooting it up but if I don't replace it soon I might have to put a few holes in it on my own.

I'm a CA native so I dont have a regional BBQ heritage to draw from. I did live in Santa Maria for a while as a kid but I consider Santa Maria BBQ "grilling" not BBQ in the traditional sense. I love it though.

For pork I dig the Carolina styles which I gained an affinity for while stationed in North Carolina in the early '90's though I've yet to figure out how to do it on my own in any form that Im proud of. When I cook ribs I usually use my own rub which is a play on a Caribbean jerk seasoning that I learned from a Jamacian chef that worked at my first Airstation in Brooklyn, NY. My butts are still pretty weak.

On my briskets I have been using a rub that is a sort of mild carne asada type spice profile but usually serve it with a "Texas Mop Sauce". An odd combo perhaps, but it seems to go pretty fast at our parties. I've recently begun experimenting with Central Texas style beef ribs...a work in progress.

Though by no means BBQ I have cooked a a couple of goats using an argentine style asado with a freind from Buenas Aries and a bit over a dozen whole hogs. Most by way of Hawaiian Style Imu which I learned when stationed on Oahu and I cooked one in a Caja China over July 4th as well.

Hope to learn a lot here.

Big George's BBQ
07-20-2013, 07:16 AM

07-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

07-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the party!

07-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Welcome aboard fellow Bay Area brethren!

07-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Howdy neighbor!

07-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Welcome & Good Luck!

07-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Welcome, from Naples, FL!

Damn True
07-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

07-22-2013, 11:00 AM