YokeUp
07-17-2013, 12:33 PM
just askin....:-D

Ron_L
07-17-2013, 12:34 PM
After our last two competitions I've asked myself that every day. :tsk:

YokeUp
07-17-2013, 12:36 PM
That's funny.... actually, I ask the same question every contest, going there and coming home.... usually the same answer for me.

Pigs on Fire
07-17-2013, 12:40 PM
To beat everyone else there.

dhuffjr
07-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Because my wife and I enjoy it. Started 2007 cooking one contest. Did two a year about every year till last year when we cooked 5 after buying a toy hauler.

Met some nice people along the way. Done some urban camping in some neat small towns. We have fun is the bottom line.

hedge
07-17-2013, 12:46 PM
to spend time with my dad. we've only done 2 smaller contests, though.

fnbish
07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
For all the money of course :doh:.

The short explanation is I like cooking bbq, being competitive, all tied with the fun/camaraderie that bbq competitions provide.

Lake Dogs
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I've always enjoyed the thrill of competition. To me, it's just plain fun. In this case, you get to eat your entries... I will say, I dont suffer fools well. While I compete for the enjoyment of the competition, I want to compete. Rules broken or exceptions made to them will drive me bonkers. I will only compete in sanctioned comps with 100% CBJ's. That give me a little more assurance that willy-nilly doesn't happen. However, we're all human, and given a chance to F something up, we (as a group of humans) will do it every time...

INmitch
07-17-2013, 01:09 PM

The short explanation is I like cooking bbq, being competitive, all tied with the fun/camaraderie that bbq competitions provide.

BINGO! Me too.

smokeisgood
07-17-2013, 01:25 PM
It's a condition of my parole.... :noidea:

Slamdunkpro
07-17-2013, 01:28 PM
For the money
For the glory
For the wimmins

but mostly for the money:cool:

Scottie
07-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I do it for the chicks... chicks dig shiny pits

Kave Dweller
07-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Cause my wife hates it and won't show up.

mobow
07-17-2013, 01:45 PM
For the Fame and the Glory, and the fun times with my wife and friends. Keith

Pelkster
07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I compete because it's the only sport my body will allow me to participate in where it doesn't revolt the next day. :loco:

This too.

Podge
07-17-2013, 01:56 PM
This is my 10th season. I compete because I still feel like I’m good at it, it’s getting tougher to win so I like that challenge... I’m still passionate about it… If/When I’m not, I’ll quit. I can spend a grand a weekend doing something else.

Scottie
07-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Exactly.

VA BBQ PIRATES
07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
It started as a mid-life thing. First I wanted a sports car but quickly realized I couldnít afford something Iíd be satisfied with (topping the list was a 1964 DB5). So I thought maybe a big powerful house boat might be the answer. After a little (very little) arithmetic I realized I couldnít swing the boat I wanted either. So I decided a young girlfriend was the answer! My wife quietly pointed out that option would cost me as much as the car & boat combined - as well as an appendage Iíve become quite fond of over the years! So naturally that left competition BBQ & here we are. No sports car, no boat, no college cheerleader but at least I can still pee standing up!

Eggspert
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Because I love and respect BBQ. I want others to enjoy "perfect" BBQ bliss. I also enjoy coming into a competition and beating teams that have done it for much longer and have much more money invested. You have to love the underdog! (that's us!)

Eggspert

WineMaster
07-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Cause I suck even worse at golf !

MarleyMan
07-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I figured I may as well try to win some $$$ and bragging rights since I was sitting on the deck drinking beer and cooking anyway most weekends.

......and the wimmens :thumb:

Stoke&Smoke
07-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Because it's something the wife and I enjoy doing together, we've made some great friends along the way, and enjoy the whole experience (well, most of the time anyway!)

Bentley
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
To see if my BBQ can beat other teams.

coondogbbq
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
It started as a mid-life thing. First I wanted a sports car but quickly realized I couldnít afford something Iíd be satisfied with (topping the list was a 1964 DB5). So I thought maybe a big powerful house boat might be the answer. After a little (very little) arithmetic I realized I couldnít swing the boat I wanted either. So I decided a young girlfriend was the answer! My wife quietly pointed out that option would cost me as much as the car & boat combined - as well as an appendage Iíve become quite fond of over the years! So naturally that left competition BBQ & here we are. No sports car, no boat, no college cheerleader but at least I can still pee standing up!

Now that's funny rite there. :pound::pound:

wjwheeler
07-17-2013, 03:46 PM
the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat

sdbbq1234
07-17-2013, 04:25 PM
For the money. I know, why am I still competing as I have won $0.00 to date.

I have always loved BBQ and trying to perfect it to our liking, and to someone else's liking (judges?).

I am not really a competitive person, but this sport/hobby whatever you want to call it, is just about the most competitor friendly sport I have been involved with. I kinda look at it like golf: one on one against the course and may the best person win!

I think it's great competing against folks that are about 10 feet from you but we can still have a cold one and shoot the schit and then "honestly" congratulate the other at awards. Really, I would be hard pressed to find more down to earth people than this stuff!

Sicker than snot on a door knob!

Oh, also, the wife loves this stuff as well.:mrgreen: BIG bonus.

And honestly, it is cool hearing your team name get called at awards!

wallace

nthole
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
The thrill of the competition, there's nothing like that feeling in your stomach at about 10a when you feel like you own the BBQ world. Also, the great people. I've met some of the best people out at competitions. Real true folks.

carlharper
07-17-2013, 04:46 PM
I compete because it's the only sport my body will allow me to participate in where it doesn't revolt the next day.

You must not be doin' it right!

boogiesnap
07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
cuz my wife told me to. :becky:

after she saw the bills, she told me not to. :tsk:

Q-Dat
07-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Because BBQ is the food of AMURRCA!!!

Also because I'm just a competitive person by nature, and this is the only thing I've ever found that I was good enough to compete in.

Rich Parker
07-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Because it allows me to hang out with some of the best people I have ever met. Even Scottie!

Theresa B
07-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I am a very competitive woman. I like the challenge of competing in an activity that by some is largely considered a mans world. I love the planning, scheduling and buying. My internal competition is to see if my scheduling hits the mark and how well I stay on schedule. We've only cooked 3 comps but have made some really nice BBQ friends. I like to jump into things with both feet. Go big or go home! And I love the smell of smoke!

rookiedad
07-17-2013, 08:07 PM
gives me time to spend with my kids creating memories that will last them a lifetime. teaches them character, stamina and how to win and loose well.
having a beer with my brothers under the stars at 4:00am.
sleeping in an easy-up after sleeping indoors all year.
7:00am baby!!!! ;)
the smell of barbeque in the morning!
the high carb meal that i always seem to need when it's all done.
even trying to stay awake while driving home...
i guess the name of my team says it all.

TroyA65
07-18-2013, 08:04 AM

Good Stuff!!!

Scottie
07-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Because it allows me to hang out with some of the best people I have ever met. Even Scottie!

Don't forget that bottle of Jack for me to be your friend this weekend.....

BBQ_MAFIA
07-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Because its great fun and I love doing it.

Vince RnQ
07-18-2013, 09:33 AM
In what arena, other than poker, can fat, middle-aged people have the opportunity to compete against the very best in the world and actually have the chance to maybe one day become one of the very best in the world?

The answer is Competition Barbeque.

I find that to be about as thrilling an opportunity as there is in this here life!

polishdon
07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Because I'm a glutton for punishment.

And cause it's like camping with your good friends, but you usually have better food and beer. :cool:

fnbish
07-18-2013, 12:04 PM
In what arena, other than poker, can fat, middle-aged people have the opportunity to compete against the very best in the world and actually have the chance to maybe one day become one of the very best in the world?

The answer is Competition Barbeque.

I find that to be about as thrilling an opportunity as there is in this here life!

Well and maybe bowling, billiards, curling and darts :mrgreen:. I can't do any of those though :shock:.

Alexa RnQ
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Although I have to point out that poker, bowling, billiards and darts take place indoors in air-conditioned comfort (while curling can technically be done outdoors, when indoors it's usually a little TOO air-conditioned).

Hon, maybe it's not too late to throw the competition budget at poker---

Candy Sue
07-18-2013, 12:33 PM
For communion on Saturday morning at BBQ Church with my fellow competitors. Thanks, Jeff, for bringing the spiritual to the contest circuit. But I won't AMEN to Give It to God winning!

big matt
07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
I agree with Vince there aren't many "sports" that you can go up against the best out there straight outta the gate..BBQ is exactly that and if you cook good enough you can actually WIN..another reason for me is that cooking is my passion and comps are a place where I can bring that passion to the judges and share it with them..also it has brought my son and I closer together and we have met and made friends with great people all over this great country..that's what's it's about to us..and of course winning,money and trophies are great too.

Florida Farmer
07-18-2013, 03:24 PM
This is my 10th season. I compete because I still feel like Iím good at it, itís getting tougher to win so I like that challenge... Iím still passionate about itÖ If/When Iím not, Iíll quit. I can spend a grand a weekend doing something else.

Same here.
I really look forward to the rush I get on Saturday morning...I call it BBQ cocaine. I also think allot about a set of glasses I bought several years ago that say "The grill of hickory.....the agony of burnt meat".
I also look forward to the Saturday morning devotional time when Jeff is there.

Forrest's Fine foods

motoeric
07-18-2013, 03:56 PM
The reason I compete is for the totality of the experience. If it was just one or two reasons, I probably wouldn't do it.

Here are my main reasons:

I enjoy working with family and friends (and that's our team).
I enjoy cooking BBQ.
I love the people associated w/ BBQ. The judges, other cooks, organizers and attendees are generally all great people.
I get to share something that I'm enthusiastic about.
I enjoy competing (but that's low on the list).

Eric

JD McGee
07-18-2013, 07:31 PM
I gotta thing for cheap bowling trophys...:twitch:

CBQ
07-18-2013, 07:37 PM
In what arena, other than poker, can fat, middle-aged people have the opportunity to compete...

Lol, I also play poker. There you go.

Also, that silence early in the morning on turn in day. Smoke drifting over the field, aroma of coffee and meat, sound of foil. It's camping with meat, a party, and a competition all at once. I also get to play with expensive toys. :Becky:

What's not to like?

TheJackal
07-18-2013, 08:10 PM
I've seen the topic for a bit but first time I clicked on the thread. I was sure this topic was discussed before and I wasn't interested in it. I was wrong for not checking it out. I learned a few things about some of the new guys and even some of those that have been here for awhile.

I cook because I can no longer hit a baseball like I did at 18, or throw a football, or run a sub 5 forty. My son does all that and I cheer him on every chance I get. However, I am a competitor. I will eat wings faster than you, I will chug a beer faster than you, I will change a tire faster than you. OK, maybe not the tire thing but the other stuff is real. I compete because I'm a competitor and I want to win. And I like to cook BBQ. And I like to eat BBQ. That is all.

rksylves
07-19-2013, 07:18 AM
For me it's all about the people I compete with & against. Best bunch of folks to be found anywhere. Forrest that always has a huge smile and big handshake. Dana that acts like seeing you is the best part of his day. Rub with his eternal patience to my neverending stupid questions. Tim being a truly awesome friend even when I forget to return his calls. The list goes on and on.

If I get a walk and possibly even a check, that's gravy. It's all about having a great time and sharing it with folks that I consider really good friends.

Russ

Teamfour
07-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Because I figured comp BBQ had to be cheaper than racing sports cars...NOT!

TheJackal
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
How about this twist on the question: Why did you 'start' competing? Why I compete today is not the same reason as why I started in the first place. I started just for the party aspect. I would bring a bottle of tequila/scotch/etc and not bother sleeping or even stop drinking until the bottle was gone. That lasted for about a season. Then I got tired of under performing and feeling like crap. I guess I'm just too old for that **** now. Now, I hope to have a good time but also take it seriously and try to do well.

Podge
07-19-2013, 10:01 AM
How about this twist on the question: Why did you 'start' competing? Why I compete today is not the same reason as why I started in the first place. I started just for the party aspect. I would bring a bottle of tequila/scotch/etc and not bother sleeping or even stop drinking until the bottle was gone. That lasted for about a season. Then I got tired of under performing and feeling like crap. I guess I'm just too old for that **** now. Now, I hope to have a good time but also take it seriously and try to do well.

1997 I went to Memphis in may with a Rep from work who took us to visit and tour their facility. I never knew BBQ competition existedÖ had a great time!!.. the teams were awesome and very nice people. Got somewhat interested in cooking bbq then. Tried a few times a year and just screwed up and got frustrated. My wife told me around 2003, to find a hobby. While drinking beer, cooking ribs to screw them up again, I had decided that this was my hobby, and time to step it up so I could someday compete. Went to Dr. BBQís class in 2004. While there, I was quite intimidated by the people with their huge cookers, and I barely knew how to cook anything. Froze my a$$ off overnight, and with ray giving me a rash of crap for my poor turn-in boxes, I decided on the way home to buy a boat instead. But the next day after a good nightís sleep I was fired up to get this BBQ going!!

smokinrack
07-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Beer, meat, fire, sharp objects, good people, whats not to love:thumb::thumb:

tnjimbob
07-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Because the two teams that I cooked with before starting my own team basically said I didn't have a pair if I didn't try at least one comp. Who could resist that level of inspiration/shame? :shock:

Success tends to feed on itself, and getting calls tends to keep me going. Also, the early Saturday AM competition rush is addictive!

Not only did I start my own team and had some success, but now I am cooking with another team, and so far it's been a very good year for us.