PDA

View Full Version : New smoker arrives tomorrow!

katzenfinch
07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Greetings from central Indiana!

Iíve been cooking outside for some time now, first on a Son of Hibachi, then a series of Weber kettles, and most recently on Weber gas grills (natural gas, then propane).

Several years ago, after experiencing a culinary revelation caused by eating some delicious smoked turkey, I made my own smoker out of a metal trash can, a Weber Smokey Joe, a Weber grill grate and some hardware. It actually works pretty well, although regulating the temperature is a bit of a challenge and longer cooking times are problematic.

When browsing for pork butt recipes recently, I came across one that sounded wonderful but took about 12 hours of smoking time. I ended up making pulled pork in a crock pot instead and it went over well, but I started looking into getting a more capable smoker.

One day I decided to see if Costco offered smokers on their website, and sure enough, they do. UPS is scheduled to deliver a Landmann 38" Two-Drawer Gas Smoker to me tomorrow and Thursday is my day off, so I hope to assemble it and try it out before the weekend.

I like to make brisket and ribs and I'm a big fan of grilled lamb, though I never have smoked any. Several years ago I was introduced to smoking with peat at an Irish Fest, and really like its flavor and aroma. (It makes the whole neighborhood smell like an Islay Scotch!)

Iím glad to have found this resource, and look forward to contributing to it!

slow-smoker
07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Post some pics after you get it un-crated and set up.

loco_engr
07-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Welcome!

Big George's BBQ
07-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Welcome

PaPaQ
07-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Welcome!

katzenfinch
07-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! It came today, and I got it assembled in about an hour using a large Philips screwdriver, a 3/8" wrench and a pair of pliers. It’s dark now, but I’ll take photos tomorrow and post them. I plan to fire it up and let it season tomorrow morning while I cut the grass (that takes an hour and a half or so), Then cook something simple in the afternoon. While I’m out tomorrow I’ll pick up ribs or brisket and put a rub on them for smoking on the weekend. I may throw some Jalapeños in there too, to see if I can make my own Chipotles.

bluetang
07-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

cowgirl
07-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Welcome and congrats on the new smoker!

LMAJ
07-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the party!

TY~DY
07-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Welcome, from Naples, FL!