PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Classic City BBQ Festival Aug 16 & 17

MattG
07-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Ok who's coming to Athens Ga? Pots BBQ will be there competing and vending.

http://www.classiccitybbqfest.com/

Jeremy Moyers
07-15-2013, 08:34 PM
We'll be there competing. Looking forward to it!

wrenfro12
07-16-2013, 08:11 AM
I will be there in the backyard contest.

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-16-2013, 08:32 AM
We'll be there competing!

fnbish
07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Heck ya we'll be there!! Athens is an awesome town. Looking forward to this first year event.

J&B'sBBQ
07-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Wish we could!!! They wouldn't let us do BY since we've won "any award in any backyard division prior" (can't do Pro because another comp we're doing won't let us do BY if we've done a pro comp. before :crazy:). We'll try to come up and visit with everyone on Saturday though; it's only 45 minutes from our house and we love Athens!

fnbish
07-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Wish we could!!! They wouldn't let us do BY since we've won "any award in any backyard division prior" (can't do Pro because another comp we're doing won't let us do BY if we've done a pro comp. before :crazy:). We'll try to come up and visit with everyone on Saturday though; it's only 45 minutes from our house and we love Athens!

Sounds like "B&J's" BBQ needs to sign up. They have zero affiliation with "J&B's" if you catch my drift :becky:.

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Beth - You need to steer clear of that Jason guy. He'll get you in trouble!

Stop by my site. Rumor has it that Jose Cuervo will be cooking with me!!!

MattG
07-16-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm looking forward to this comp. 20 min from the house and it's been a while since I've competed. Pro side and Judges are full. Has anyone seen the payout break down?

fnbish
07-16-2013, 06:02 PM

So you shoot the tequila, but won't sign up for more beer pong?? :crazy:

fnbish
07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm looking forward to this comp. 20 min from the house and it's been a while since I've competed. Pro side and Judges are full. Has anyone seen the payout break down?

Yeah after doing 4 competitions out of state it will be nice to have a close one. They don't have a payout breakout on the site. All KCBS shows is the pot is $10K.

wrenfro12
07-17-2013, 08:01 AM
There is a beer pong event at this contest as well?......or is that just at Pigs and Peaches the next weekend? or am I missing out....Is there a beer pong event at every comp?

jonplane
07-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Q-hutta will be there, but with no aspirations of winning anything. Way too many bars around to focus.

NadaChanceBBQ
07-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Chattahoochee Que will be there.

fnbish
07-17-2013, 12:35 PM
There is a beer pong event at this contest as well?......or is that just at Pigs and Peaches the next weekend? or am I missing out....Is there a beer pong event at every comp?

Yeah I was talking about pigs & peaches. Though I would gather with enough of the creative minds there we could scare up a setup in Athens if we wanted :clap2:.

fnbish
07-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Q-hutta will be there, but with no aspirations of winning anything. Way too many bars around to focus.

Ha. That's funny right there. I lived in Athens for 2.5yrs and miss downtown. Though seems like none of the same places are there. The bars are always changing.

Might be cheaper to stay and drink onsite :razz:. Plus you can watch the food closer :loco:.

Pigs on Fire
07-17-2013, 12:39 PM
The Pro Purse at the Classic City event is indeed $10,000.

I haven't seen a breakdown, but I assume it's the normal $2500 GC, $1500 RGC and $500-400-300-200-100 for each meat.

Or something close to that.

MattG
07-30-2013, 09:08 PM
17 more days.

J&B'sBBQ
07-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Sounds like "B&J's" BBQ needs to sign up. They have zero affiliation with "J&B's" if you catch my drift :becky:.

We did avoid the alphabetically correct version of our initials for a reason...the BJ order just didn't set well :becky:.

Dave, if we make it up there on Friday we'll stop by and meet Mr. Cuervo! ha

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Dave, if we make it up there on Friday we'll stop by and meet Mr. Cuervo! ha
Come on by. But watch out for Mr. Cuervo!!! He is a sneaky farker and will make you get bad scores from the judges. Just sayin'. :loco:

fnbish
08-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Is it time to go yet??

MattG
08-11-2013, 05:58 PM
No arrivials on Thursday. Just Friday morning at 8am. I was hoping to set up Thursday night.

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-11-2013, 06:01 PM
I think I am going Thursday and hang out in one of those college town bars until the sun comes up. :whoo:

fnbish
08-11-2013, 06:07 PM
I think I am going Thursday and hang out in one of those college town bars until the sun comes up. :whoo:

Downtown is a magical place. Will be interesting to see what crowd the event gets being right there.

MattG
08-11-2013, 06:38 PM
No doubt Athens has a plethora of people. I remember this one time i rrrrr never mind.

jonplane
08-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Downtown is a magical place. Will be interesting to see what crowd the event gets being right there.

That it is. Too bad we can't go on Thursday and get the downtown scene out of our system. First week of students being back as well. It should be pretty crowded. Of course it looks like everybody is on the back side of the classic center so there probably won't be too much foot traffic over that way.

fnbish
08-12-2013, 07:59 AM
That it is. Too bad we can't go on Thursday and get the downtown scene out of our system. First week of students being back as well. It should be pretty crowded. Of course it looks like everybody is on the back side of the classic center so there probably won't be too much foot traffic over that way.

Is that where we are being setup? Makes sense I guess. I hadn't heard exactly where the teams were going to be.

wrenfro12
08-12-2013, 08:02 AM
it looks like everybody is on the back side of the classic center so there probably won't be too much foot traffic over that way.

Have they published a layout?

The only thing I got from them says that our backyard spots will be 10 x 10.....WOW am I going to be cramped for space.

jonplane
08-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Is that where we are being setup? Makes sense I guess. I hadn't heard exactly where the teams were going to be.

From what I can gather from the email they sent out, the teams are going to be put in some parking lot across Foundry Street. They have been building a few new lots around there so I assume it must be in one of those. Not ideal, but I figured it being a new contest, they wouldn't let us shut down Thomas or Clayton Streets just yet. Maybe next year.

colberto
08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
After a few weeks of effort, we were finally added to the pro-contest! Apparently, we will be completely off the grid from everyone. I'm seeing this trend where organizers are pushing us further away from the actual contest. Not something I am surprised about...just an observation :grin:

fnbish
08-12-2013, 03:31 PM
After a few weeks of effort, we were finally added to the pro-contest! Apparently, we will be completely off the grid from everyone. I'm seeing this trend where organizers are pushing us further away from the actual contest. Not something I am surprised about...just an observation :grin:

Oh Sh!t yeah!!! So should I bring 36 jars of mayonnaise this time???

colberto
08-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Wow...you're really putting me on the spot here! Are you sure that will be enough?

fnbish
08-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Wow...you're really putting me on the spot here! Are you sure that will be enough?

Sorry :oops:........I should have just texted you............this is embarrassing.................but 36 should be enough though if my math is right. Though this is a college town so that throws another variable in the mix. Never mind, they have grocery stores near so if we need to get more. We'll figure it out Friday.

colberto
08-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Another quick observation...everyone who clicked on "Page 3" regrets reading this deep into the thread.

fnbish
08-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Another quick observation...everyone who clicked on "Page 3" regrets reading this deep into the thread.

"Regret" is such a relative term........:becky:

wrenfro12
08-13-2013, 08:17 AM
WOW...I should get out more!!!!

abangs
08-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Lets test your downtown Athens history: who remembers Lawry's nickel night on Thursday nights? $5 at the door all drinks a nickel???

MattG
08-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Lets test your downtown Athens history: who remembers Lawry's nickel night on Thursday nights? $5 at the door all drinks a nickel???

We called it "Sink or Swim Night"

Gadragonfly
08-14-2013, 10:37 PM

While not downtown, real Athens history has to include eating an Allen's hamburger and then finding your way downstairs to Between the Hedges for a drink or six.

eap0510
08-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Looks like this is going to be one seriously wet competition.
70% chance of rain Saturday.

-Eric

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Looks like this is going to be one seriously wet competition.
70% chance of rain Saturday.

-Eric
That's because Mother Nature has decided that EVERY BBQ contest in GA must have rain and I'm getting tired of it! :rain: