PDA

View Full Version : So Cal Eats! Legit or Not?

aHughJassDude
07-10-2013, 11:46 PM
So I live in Southern California, San Diego area. Recently I started eating at a variety of barbecue places and so far I've only come across one or two places that seem to be close to "legit" barbecue. (Mind you I've never been to Texas or eating Q anywhere out of Cali) I've read so much about barbecue and I'm certain I know good brisket and ribs when I eat it now so I think I'm judging rightly when I say it's rare.

Would anyone say that there aren't ANY legit barbecue restaurants or food trucks in California?

Pyle's BBQ
07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
You might have to go a little north, but there are two members here that are doing Q in So Cal. Big Mista is doing Farmer's Markets and soon moving into a brick and mortar place. Ryan Chester opened Smoqued last year. I think both are in the LA area. If there is someone else I'm sure they will chime in.

C Rocke
07-11-2013, 12:19 AM
So I live in Southern California, San Diego area. Recently I started eating at a variety of barbecue places and so far I've only come across one or two places that seem to be close to "legit" barbecue. (Mind you I've never been to Texas or eating Q anywhere out of Cali) I've read so much about barbecue and I'm certain I know good brisket and ribs when I eat it now so I think I'm judging rightly when I say it's rare.

Would anyone say that there aren't ANY legit barbecue restaurants or food trucks in California?

Lemme know when you're in Orange County, and come be my Guest!

SY82
07-11-2013, 12:21 AM
Bludso's in Compton.

Funtimebbq
07-11-2013, 01:21 AM
Brazen BBQ is in the Hillcrest section of San Diego. The owners, John and Brad are competition cooks who have won a few events. Check out their FB page if you get a chance.

Big Ace
07-11-2013, 01:24 AM

So ... what are the one or two places have you tried that you consider legit?

palmtreefrb
07-11-2013, 09:13 AM
You have Phils, but it's not "LEGIT" :shock:
Your going to have travel north.
Don't know how far south Chris's Rancho A GO GO truck travels and...
Smokqued in Orange
Blakes Place in Anaheim

Chris, havent seen you at Bootleggers lately :sad:

mtbchip
07-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Low SoCal (I'm a San Diego resident also) does not have any quality Q restaurants. There are a few that try hard for sure. For BBQ flavored food, try Phils Faux BBQ. Ask to see their smoker, they won't show you, its their secret. According to a rest supply guy I know that SOLD them their kitchen equip: They DON'T have a smoker or cook any of their meats low and slow, but instead roast their meats in "combi" (fancy expensive convection ovens) then burn them on a grill full of mesquite charcoal. Tastes like it too. All meat dishes are served covered/cloaked/hidden underneath a load of their liquid smoke induced "sauce".

One would think that with the YELP reviews they must be the holy grail of BBQ. Much like McDonald's serves the finest burgers in town (well, we DO have some fine burgers joints).

SmokinJohn
07-11-2013, 12:11 PM
+1 for Bludso, Rancho A Go Go, and Blake's. I haven't hit Smoqued Q or BigMista yet, but soon....

What about that place on Coronado Island? I didn't smell any smoke last time I was there, so I took a pass.

mtbchip
07-11-2013, 12:56 PM
What about that place on Coronado Island? I didn't smell any smoke last time I was there, so I took a pass.

I was just on Coronado Island, walked right by the place too. If my nose doesn't "see it", then it's ain't BBQ!

Opted for Sushi at Saiko Sushi on Orange Ave (quite good too).

Smokeat
07-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Low SoCal (I'm a San Diego resident also) does not have any quality Q restaurants. There are a few that try hard for sure. For BBQ flavored food, try Phils Faux BBQ. Ask to see their smoker, they won't show you, its their secret. According to a rest supply guy I know that SOLD them their kitchen equip: They DON'T have a smoker or cook any of their meats low and slow, but instead roast their meats in "combi" (fancy expensive convection ovens) then burn them on a grill full of mesquite charcoal. Tastes like it too. All meat dishes are served covered/cloaked/hidden underneath a load of their liquid smoke induced "sauce".

One would think that with the YELP reviews they must be the holy grail of BBQ. Much like McDonald's serves the finest burgers in town (well, we DO have some fine burgers joints).

Hell to the yeah, you have fine burgers! See you at Nessy's!

gtr
07-11-2013, 02:53 PM
I can vouch for Bludso's and Big Mista in the L.A. area. Really great stuff at both those places. There'a also a place I like called Pecos Bill's in Burbank, but it's not a "drive for a long time to get it" kinda place - more like a "pretty dang good for close to work and cheap" kinda place (by all means ask for the sauce on the side). There are some other places around here that I have yet to check out.

silverfinger
07-11-2013, 06:30 PM
You could try Lucilles smokehouse.
They have one in Temecula.
They make great beef ribs.
I have never had bad food at lucilles even tho it is a chain restaurant.

ToddM
07-11-2013, 07:18 PM
I was just on Coronado Island, walked right by the place too. If my nose doesn't "see it", then it's ain't BBQ!

That is so true, I live by this as well. Goes for any restaurant, not just 'que.

rw02kr43
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
We went to baby blues bbq in Santa Monica. We loved it. The suicide kings were great.

Jason

Funtimebbq
07-12-2013, 12:40 PM

I don't live in SD but I have been to Brazen BBQ. It is for sure a quality BBQ restaurant where there is no need to ask to see their smoker. Their Old Hickory is right in front of customers as they walk in the door. Of course, customers may have to take their eyes away from all the trophies on display from real sanctioned BBQ contests the owners have won. Many others have listed restaurants to the north that are very good as well. But in SD, it is Brazen BBQ.

aHughJassDude
07-15-2013, 05:37 PM
So ... what are the one or two places have you tried that you consider legit?

I've tried Abbey's Real Texas Barbecue in San Diego and Jimmy's Brick Pit barbecue in Poway,CA.