PDA

View Full Version : New member from Virginia checking in

draken
07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Hello all!

Just received a new smoker yesterday, my first one, so all of this is new to me. Got the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES), Gen II. Went electric as I didnt' want to spend all day tending to the smoker monitoring the temperatures and read it was the easiest for a beginner. Looking forward to getting it seasoned and trying my hand at smoking meats. Any suggestions for a good piece of meat that is pretty forgiving for a beginner? Got a bag of orange wood chips with it, so I'm thinking a pork loin or pork ribs to start, but open to any and all suggestions. This looks like a great source of information and comradely of good folks, so I look forward to reading through the older posts and learning what I can. Smoking looks to become my third hobby. My first is woodworking, started making little items like pens, then moved to bowls, and now I'm making some smaller pieces of furniture. Still like to do the small stuff from time to time for the speed and instant gratification. Second hobby is brewing my own beer, so that should fit in quite well with home smoked meats and BBQ.

Cheers!
James

loco_engr
07-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Welcome!

Pork butts are usually pretty forgiving

Good Luck!

BBQPitt
07-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Welcome!

Seriously, you need to find at least one cheap hobby, or at least tell me if your wife has a sister because she is obviously very forgiving.

Big George's BBQ
07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Welcome

PaPaQ
07-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Welcome!

draken
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Welcome!

Seriously, you need to find at least one cheap hobby, or at least tell me if your wife has a sister because she is obviously very forgiving.

LOL! Yea, my parents are such enablers. They got me the smoker, cover, and some chips to start with, and said they'd get some meat for it too. They got me the Mr. Beer kit which started the home brewing. I'll get them back by putting 5 gallon equipment on my want list for Christmas this year.

Come to think of it, they got me my first lathe as well, but that was something I had hinted quite heavily for. They got off easy, getting me a small table top lathe. The one I've upgraded to did hurt the pocketbook a bit.

She doesn't have a sister, so I can't help you there, but she has her own hobby, scrapbooking, and if you know anything about that, it can be quite expensive, so there is give and take on both sides. :decision:

Edited to add thanks to loco_engr for the meat suggestion, much appreciated!

LMAJ
07-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the party!

bluetang
07-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

draken
07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome, looking forward to learning, smoking, and eating. Did the burn-in (out?) and seasoning of the new smoker last night, one step closer.

gsali
07-17-2013, 04:58 PM
welcome