PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Blues, Brews, & BBQ (Birch Run, MI)

Unfathomable Bastid
07-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Hey Brethren,

Just curious if anyone is competing in this event (August 23-25) in Birch Run, MI. Would love to support your crew.

-Bastid

Bbq Bubba
07-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Many Michigan teams competing! More info on the www.glbbqa.com website!

sfisch
07-06-2013, 04:35 PM
An excellent run contest at a nice location. It's their 2nd year and they have the biggest prize pool of any Michigan contest. Getcha a team together and sign up!

Scottie
07-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Do you know how the power will be set up this year?

sfisch
07-07-2013, 01:31 PM
I believe same as last year, generators with the plug in boxes run throughout the set up area.

Scottie
07-07-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't remember if they didn't have enough boxes or we needed 200' of extension last year? The bacon was outstanding though!

sfisch
07-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Ahh, bacon at Tony's restaurant?
I will find out about the electricity and p.m. you.

Spydermike72
07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
The electricity will be much better this year, should have 2 generators this year...

Bavarian Smoke
07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
We are signed up for the contest. It sure would be nice to see Bubba Q, Cancer Sucks and Diva Q back at this contest. It was fun cooking with them last year.

sfisch
07-08-2013, 05:15 PM
The electricity will be much better this year, should have 2 generators this year...

Well there you go!

Scottie
07-08-2013, 05:32 PM
We are signed up for the contest. It sure would be nice to see Bubba Q, Cancer Sucks and Diva Q back at this contest. It was fun cooking with them last year.

I forgot. You"re bringing the Jack again?:-P

If I get the day off, I am there. Mmmmmmm bacon....

ButtBurner
07-09-2013, 09:17 AM
hopefully they will have 75 open by then but I doubt it.

at least its closed to the north of you

Dragline
07-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Scott is 75 shut down for those coming from the south? And I hope you are cooking correct

Bbq Bubba
07-10-2013, 08:48 AM
No its north of the exit. No worries.

Dragline
07-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Great Thanks

Spydermike72
07-24-2013, 09:27 AM
The following letter was sent to all of last years teams as well as this years teams that have already signed up. Lots of good stuff here:

Dear Cook Teams,

The 2013 Blues, Brews & Barbecue has been moved to 12126 Dixie Hwy. This is east of I-75 and just south of Birch Run Road. You can actually see it from the expressway. This location has better visibility with dry, high ground and plenty of parking.

We have also changed the itinerary this year and we believe that you will like it;

· FRIDAY (August 23rd)
o Cooks meeting in the Judge’s Tent @ 6:00PM with Rich & Bunny Tuttle our KCBS Contest Representatives.
o Complimentary first 20# bag of ice.
o Complimentary pizza served after Cooks Meeting until gone.
o Complimentary keg of beer during dinner until gone.
o Entertainment tent without cover charge starts @ 7:00PM with great Blues musicians and $3.00 drafts.
o Quiet Time will be Midnight.

· SATURDAY (August 24th)
o Complimentary Breakfast @ 7:00AM until gone.
o The “9:22AM Shot” of Jack Daniels @ the Judge’s Tent.
o Regular turn-in and times
§ Noon – Chicken
§ 12:30PM – Ribs
§ 1:00PM – Pork
§ 1:30PM – Brisket
o Awards @ 3:00PM in the Entertainment Tent
o When departing we will direct traffic for you. We have a carnival that started on Thursday and will be running until Sunday. Your cooperation is appreciated.

· For Police / Fire / Ambulance dial 911

Thank you
Mike Szukhent (810) 625-3708 cell

Spydermike72
07-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Ok, a few more updates... We have 16 teams signed up as of last night.

It looks like our spaces will be 50x50 (this is not in stone but looks really good). The beer for the teams Friday night will be Molson Canadian!! If you don't like beer please let us know we can get you pop or water. Goodie Bags will be handed again They will be very good goodie bags. Also one of the sponsors are providing free shirts for each team.

So Free Dinner,Free Breakfast (with coffee) Free Beer,free bag of ice, great goodie bags, large spaces, and a $10k prize pool, did we forget anything ??

We would like to see some Ohio,Indiana,Illinois, Pennsylvania,New York and Canadian teams come out and join us for a great time!!

PigxelPerfectBbq
07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Pretty sure Im going to be signing up for this event. It will be my first sanctioned competition and really look forward to it! Im new to the forums and new to the hobby but have always cooked and grilled and this year picked up smoking and true bbq. Im HUGE into hobbies and naturally competitive so I figured this event is within an hr of me and would be the perfect opportunity to dive into the comp scene. Look forward to meeting some fellow enthusiasts and cookin up some q!

-Ben

Spydermike72
07-26-2013, 11:46 AM
We look forward to meeting you Ben and welcome to the addiction!!

sfisch
07-26-2013, 05:24 PM
A really nice venue, really, really close to the Birch Run Outlet mall, which could be good or bad depending on how much your wife likes to shop :). It's a 2nd year contest and you can see from the above posts that the organizers are making a conscious effort to make this really cooker friendly.
Looking forward to seeing our friends from surrounding states and our Canadian friends in attendance.

Spydermike72
07-30-2013, 08:15 AM
More Updates:

Dinner will be provided by Goal Post Pizza

Keg Beer will be Molson Canadian (No cheap stuff here)

Breakfast will be provided by The World Famous Tony's I-75 Restaurant. Of course there will be BACON!!

The Best Western Hotel, (basically across the street from the new location) is offering a 15% discount to anyone who needs a room, just mention you are part of Blues,Brews and BBQ and you will get a 15% discount on your room. More hotels are sure to follow...

We currently have 18 teams signed up...

Would love to see some of our friends from Ohio come on up and join us. We promise there wont be too much Maize and Blue!!

Spydermike72
07-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Pretty sure Im going to be signing up for this event. It will be my first sanctioned competition and really look forward to it! Im new to the forums and new to the hobby but have always cooked and grilled and this year picked up smoking and true bbq. Im HUGE into hobbies and naturally competitive so I figured this event is within an hr of me and would be the perfect opportunity to dive into the comp scene. Look forward to meeting some fellow enthusiasts and cookin up some q!

-Ben

What is your team name Ben ??

PigxelPerfectBbq
07-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Pigxel Perfect Bbq. Cheesey name but aren't they all!! Haha I'm a cg artist by day foody by night. Hoping to sign up this week. Do I need to get a kcbs membership as well?

Btw bubba lockharts is 1 min from my house and my goto brisket stop usually once a week.

Spydermike72
08-01-2013, 06:11 AM
Pigxel Perfect Bbq. Cheesey name but aren't they all!! Haha I'm a cg artist by day foody by night. Hoping to sign up this week. Do I need to get a kcbs membership as well?

Btw bubba lockharts is 1 min from my house and my goto brisket stop usually once a week.

You do not have to be a KCBS member...

I am sorry you know Bubba :mrgreen::mrgreen: J/K we love Bubba, I wish he would come out and join us in Birch Run...

I look forward to meeting you Ben!!

sfisch
08-01-2013, 06:21 AM
Ben,
You picked a great contest for your first venture into comp cooking, the organizers try to make it very cook friendly and several of the teams will be helpful should you need it.

PigxelPerfectBbq
08-01-2013, 08:17 AM
Awesome I cant wait! I have some things I need to work out (lookin at getting a second pit for comp) just want to make sure Ill get a good amount of use for the $$ I'm lookin at spending... This Birch Run event is really reasonable as far as distance goes, are there many more competitions within the 1-2 hour range from metro Detroit? I saw a list on GLBA's site but not necessarily dates and exact locations.

I look forward to meeting and learning from you guys at the event!

Spydermike72
08-06-2013, 05:58 AM
Awesome I cant wait! I have some things I need to work out (lookin at getting a second pit for comp) just want to make sure Ill get a good amount of use for the $$ I'm lookin at spending... This Birch Run event is really reasonable as far as distance goes, are there many more competitions within the 1-2 hour range from metro Detroit? I saw a list on GLBA's site but not necessarily dates and exact locations.

I look forward to meeting and learning from you guys at the event!

Hey Ben,

1-2 hours from Metro Detroit not really other than Birch Run and Auburn Hills in June. Unless Grand Rapids is within 2 hours... The other comps are Grand Rapids, Newyago, and Silver Lake all on the West side of the state... I am not aware of any comps in Northern Ohio either...

sfisch
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Plymouth, Indiana is 244 miles from Detroit in September.

Fishin4bass723
08-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Deep fried Bacon at Tony's is AWSOME

Spydermike72
08-08-2013, 10:53 AM
21 teams as of this morning!!

Spydermike72
08-09-2013, 07:06 AM
22 Teams as of last night...

PigxelPerfectBbq
08-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Once I cash my paycheck i'll make #23.

My new smoker is on its way too! Only gunna have a little over a week of practice with it but what better way to break it in right at the event.

Spydermike72
08-12-2013, 07:25 AM
With Ben's entry that will make 26!! Got a few commits over the weekend, looks like we will be a qualifier!! Plenty of room for more teams and some great perks come on out and join us!!

Jimmy & The Squealers
08-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Signing up today. Ohio will be represented. Hopefully a few more will join.

Spydermike72
08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Signing up today. Ohio will be represented. Hopefully a few more will join.

Excellent!! Look forward to meeting you Jimmy!!

Spydermike72
08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
27 teams as of this morning!!

Spydermike72
08-20-2013, 05:52 AM
32 teams as of last night!! Plenty of room for more teams!!