PDA

View Full Version : So if you are new to this competition thing....

sominus
06-29-2013, 03:19 PM
...where/how would I go about finding a team that needs an extra hand now and then so I can learn the ropes?

Forgive the obvious newbie question....

-Michael
Seabrook, Tx

The_Kapn
06-29-2013, 03:36 PM
A good place to start is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49

TIM

sominus
06-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks... I had looked there but it was empty... That is, until I realized how to look back a bit...

Stark-O-Rama
06-29-2013, 05:33 PM
You could also attend a local competition, and talk to some teams and let them know that you're looking to help. My assumption is that you'll have a lot of teams take you up on your offer. The Comp BBQ Culture is EXTREMELY friendly and welcoming.

We had a few people last weekend do the same thing, and we welcomed them with open arms.

Ford
06-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Being as you're from Texas, I'd look thru this prim or posts by Texas teams. Go back a couple of months. It will take a little time. Make a list of posters and pm them. Could I hlp out to learn, could I come out nd visit and observe. Things like that.

themidniteryder
06-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Join and get involved with your local BBQ organization. Being in Texas, they are probably all sanctioned by the IBCA, but there may be a more local or regional association. Here in Cali they are mostly KCBS, which I joined and became a judge. I also joined the CBBQA (California BBQ Association) and through them have met a LOT of helpful folks. Also, look for "backyard" comps in your area. Cook one of those by yourself or with a friend to get some experience. We are cooking a backyard in August that features live judging (you get actual feedback from the judges) and also paired up with a mentor that has quite a few walks under his belt. The main thing is get involved and meet people.

DUBBAGA
06-29-2013, 10:53 PM
We are cooking a backyard in August that features live judging (you get actual feedback from the judges) and also paired up with a mentor that has quite a few walks under his belt. The main thing is get involved and meet people.

On the fence about signing up for 8/10/13 in Ontario.. it sounds like fun. Best of luck Todd!

RangerJ
06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
...where/how would I go about finding a team that needs an extra hand now and then so I can learn the ropes?

Forgive the obvious newbie question....

-Michael
Seabrook, Tx

PM me with an email address, I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Multiple organizations here, multiple other boards, many teams and a cook off in every pasture in all 4 cardinal directions.