PDA

View Full Version : canning pickling salt same as tender quick?

RLTXBBQ
06-26-2013, 11:08 PM
So on the Mortons website it states
"MORTON TENDER QUICK mix can be used interchangeably with MORTON SUGAR CURE (Plain) mix."
Can not find the Tender quick locally anywhere so did find the Mortons canning and pickling salt, is it the same stuff?
Wanted to try some experiments with the stuff, have never used TQ myself, have you?

Rookie'48
06-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Two different things, although I've used Morton Kosher salt in place of the Canning & Pickling salt.

landarc
06-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Canning/Pickling salt is regular salt that is very fine grained to dissolve easily, Tenderquik has curing agents in it, as does the sugar cure,

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
06-27-2013, 07:52 AM
No.

Tenderquick is treated with .5% sodium nitrate which is a curing agent and you never want to directly ingest (we use curing salt #1 which is 6.5% sodium nitrate for curing). Anything that has been cured with sodium nitrate should be throughly washed before rubbed, boiled, smoked, cooked, snorted, or whatever weird food thing you do.

Pickling salt is basically a fancy word for ground up kosher salt (i.e. not treated with iodine).

Stoke&Smoke
06-27-2013, 01:06 PM
No.

Tenderquick is treated with .5% sodium nitrate which is a curing agent and you never want to directly ingest (we use curing salt #1 which is 6.5% sodium nitrate for curing). Anything that has been cured with sodium nitrate should be throughly washed before rubbed, boiled, smoked, cooked, snorted, or whatever weird food thing you do.

Pickling salt is basically a fancy word for ground up kosher salt (i.e. not treated with iodine).

TQ actually contains both sodium nitrate AND sodium nitrite (.5% each I believe).
Per Morton, it can be used interchangeably with their sugar cure mix. And though prague powder is more common in sausage recipes, even Morton has a couple of sausage recipes that call for either TQ or sugar cure. Not sure how you would wash thoroughly? But it's a pretty minute quantity you're ingesting

There's at least one here also http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145195&highlight=texas+hot+links+recipe

RangerJ
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
So on the Mortons website it states
"MORTON TENDER QUICK mix can be used interchangeably with MORTON SUGAR CURE (Plain) mix."
Can not find the Tender quick locally anywhere so did find the Mortons canning and pickling salt, is it the same stuff?
Wanted to try some experiments with the stuff, have never used TQ myself, have you?

Looking to make pickles or a bogus smoke ring?

RLTXBBQ
06-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Ahum pickles, ;)
Thanks for the replys

Rookie'48
06-28-2013, 12:20 AM

I didn't know this. Thanx :grin:.

jmoney7269
07-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Looking to make pickles or a bogus smoke ring?
bogus? i use it on my comp briskets but a very small amount
If you can see it and touch it its real, just like fake........ :tape2:

RangerJ
07-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Well, one pair are referred to as "stock".. The other pair are "aftermarket."

And in that partiuclar category, I'm fine with either!

Stark-O-Rama
07-01-2013, 10:07 PM

LMAO!!!!!!:clap2: