PDA

View Full Version : Creekstone Farms - Prime Brisket

Stark-O-Rama
06-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Anyone use Creekstone for Comps? Is the Prime Brisket anything close to Wagyu?

Slamdunkpro
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
We use them

$billBBQ
06-26-2013, 09:32 PM
I have used both creekstone and snf wagyu. While the creekstone is really nice bright white fat and marbling the wagyu marbling is better. Both turn out great and at our last comp we used the flat from the snf but the ends on the creekstone were better

sdbbq1234
06-26-2013, 09:37 PM
We use them

And he (Aporkalypse Now) wins with them. I have tasted their winning product; it rocks!

This should help support that.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163524

wallace

Bigdog
06-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Two time Chest to Chest brisket champion Andy Groneman uses them. Just saying... We also use them exclusively for the All Things BBQ brisket class and they are amazing. Great marbling, soft and supple, and really thick flats.

Muzzlebrake
06-26-2013, 10:31 PM
I use them. I am a big fan. I don't just use them for contests, I use their steaks, roasts and choice briskets for catering, demonstrations and special dinners at home.

Great products, great people to work with.

gettinbasted
06-26-2013, 11:04 PM
As good as any.

roksmith
06-27-2013, 05:39 AM
We started the year using them and I don't know if we got some bad ones or not, but we weren't happy with the results. Bought a couple SRF wagyus.. cooked one for practice and one for a comp side by side with the Creekstone prime and they weren't even close. The wagyu was much better. Completely different texture. Even when reheating the leftovers a week later you could still tell the difference. Again, we may have received some funky ones, but they weren't as good as the primes we used to get from GFS (when they were available).

Untraceable
06-27-2013, 07:39 AM
With how much injections and rub and foiling with liquids people do, is there really a difference in brisket grades?

roksmith
06-27-2013, 07:47 AM
There CAN be a huge difference in grades.. BUT you have to remember that the individual brisket is not graded. The beef is. A prime brisket can have a lean brisket, and a select or choice brisket can have a nice marbled brisket. The individual cut doesn't always follow the overall grade.. but it usually does.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-27-2013, 10:32 AM
I had the chance to cook them a few times. They are a decent piece of beef. They have a great line of products. I prefer wagyu.

CarolinaQue
06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
There is a local grocery store that is starting to carry some of their cut's. I inquired on getting briskets and they came back with $7 to $8 a lb and I'd have to by the whole case at a 60 lb average. Still kicking the idea around of ordering a case and splitting it with a friend. This thread is helping me make up my mind though.

INmitch
06-27-2013, 10:54 AM
With how much injections and rub and foiling with liquids people do, is there really a difference in brisket grades?

Yes.

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2013, 11:00 AM
There is a local grocery store that is starting to carry some of their cut's. I inquired on getting briskets and they came back with $7 to $8 a lb and I'd have to by the whole case at a 60 lb average. Still kicking the idea around of ordering a case and splitting it with a friend. This thread is helping me make up my mind though.

they offer free shipping from their website and a 10% KCBS member discount.

cpw
06-27-2013, 11:14 AM

I didn't know about the 10% off for KCBS. I might have to try one of those out. Especially with the price hike SRF is/has implemented.

Pappy Q
06-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Used them one season and had an issue with consistency. Switch to SNF which was much better, then they too had consistency issues. Using Strube this season and have been very happen with them. The service from Big Poppa (who you order from) and Strube (where they come from) has been outstanding!

HarleyGirl14226
06-27-2013, 01:43 PM

I always have to call to get the 10% KCBS member discount. Is there a code for the website?

Muzzlebrake
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
I always have to call to get the 10% KCBS member discount. Is there a code for the website?

I believe it is on the Discounts page in the members section of the KCBS website

Slamdunkpro
06-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Check your PM's

Eggspert
06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
In my opinion, waygu has a different flavor then prime. It is earthy and rich. It almost tastes like a portabella mushroom. You can't get that same flavor with a prime. You can make a good brisket, but it will be different.

Eggspert

BBQ Church
06-27-2013, 09:42 PM
I just finished trimming one for competition this weekend. I'm cooking it side by side with a CAB. The Creekstone has a thicker flat and both have very good marbling, i'd say equal, $1 per pound price difference.

Stark-O-Rama
06-28-2013, 12:19 AM
I just finished trimming one for competition this weekend. I'm cooking it side by side with a CAB. The Creekstone has a thicker flat and both have very good marbling, i'd say equal, $1 per pound price difference.

Let us know how they turned out - take pics!

CarolinaQue
06-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Only a $1 per lb price difference? What are you paying a lb for the Creekstone?

Podge
06-28-2013, 10:25 AM
In my opinion, waygu has a different flavor then prime. It is earthy and rich. It almost tastes like a portabella mushroom. You can't get that same flavor with a prime. You can make a good brisket, but it will be different.

Eggspert

I would have to kind of disagree. I think Wagyu has a much beefier flavor, but not necessarily different... When I smell a raw wagyu, I almost want to eat it right there!:-D

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
06-28-2013, 11:15 PM

The local grocer is taking you for a ride. I can get cases of creekstone prime locally for $3ish a pound. That sounds great but the problem is that since all the comp teams started buying them they only ship the small packers in cases. They save all the big nice briskets for mail order now. I can't do anything with a case of 11lbers.

CarolinaQue
06-29-2013, 08:49 AM
The local grocer is taking you for a ride. I can get cases of creekstone prime locally for $3ish a pound. That sounds great but the problem is that since all the comp teams started buying them they only ship the small packers in cases. They save all the big nice briskets for mail order now. I can't do anything with a case of 11lbers.

I think that it's more the distributer for the New England region more than it's the local store setting the price. But even through their web site, I'm still looking at $100 to $120 a brisket.

EZQ2
06-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Just ordered a16 to 18 lb one yesterday, (really nice people) got my KCBS discount and I can't wait to smoke it up. Got a comp on July 12th 13th and will use it for that. My brisket has been getting better and better, hope this will give me the little extra that I am looking for.

Muzzlebrake
06-29-2013, 02:36 PM

Wow that's a deal!

I can get choice for that if I go to one of the distributor's @ Hunts Point Market. Most local grocers in this area charge more than that for whole choice brisket no matter what the brand is. The last time I was @ RD their National Brand Angis briskets I think were $2.79lb case price.

Smokin' Hicks
06-29-2013, 03:19 PM
a cow is graded by its ribeye ....so a brisket is not even looked at in the grading process...it is just assumed if the ribeye is good then the rest of the animal is prime grade

jmoney7269
06-29-2013, 05:16 PM
If you can find em, national beef is the best choice brisket out there. We have cooked em all. Tried the wagyu and placed a few times but never did any better. Even a select brisket can have good marbling. This is the typical marbling in the national choice cab packers.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/1B26B659-D5D5-4805-A768-7E1A612525D1-3396-00000475E4FA03FE.jpg
Flat ends
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/60FA109F-D43B-496D-93E3-916003BE4875-6128-00000749D0A83243.jpg
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/justinmargist/DE663CC1-FF12-4761-970B-38729B63B0EB-969-0000016B7F75758F.jpg

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Wow that's a deal!

I can get choice for that if I go to one of the distributor's @ Hunts Point Market. Most local grocers in this area charge more than that for whole choice brisket no matter what the brand is. The last time I was @ RD their National Brand Angis briskets I think were $2.79lb case price.

If I had a restaurant perhaps. I can't do anything with a case of 11lb packers. Two years ago I got cases that had five 17lb prime packers inside for $2.25lb. It was cheaper than the local grocers had choice. Now its just way hit or miss on size and quality. I've given up. I'm just cooking the biggest packers I can find from RD now. I'm sure I'm leaving something on the table but I'll shoot for a low call with my junky choice stuff and keep some money in my pocket.

Podge
07-02-2013, 08:17 AM
I've looked at the RD briskets, and some of them look really good I think!..

wyocurt
07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Have used Creek Stone for sometime now and its the last. Got a case in and they were all small and didn't cook up well. Most we tough and the point were so small that you could just barely get enough burnt ends to turn in. Going back to choice angus had more walks then.

smokeisgood
07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
If I had a restaurant perhaps. I can't do anything with a case of 11lb packers. Two years ago I got cases that had five 17lb prime packers inside for $2.25lb. It was cheaper than the local grocers had choice. Now its just way hit or miss on size and quality. I've given up. I'm just cooking the biggest packers I can find from RD now. I'm sure I'm leaving something on the table but I'll shoot for a low call with my junky choice stuff and keep some money in my pocket.

Curious as to why you would pick the largest. Wouldn't a larger packer mean an older cow, hence a tougher cow, and a smaller packer be from a smaller, younger, more tender cow?

Stark-O-Rama
07-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Curious as to why you would pick the largest. Wouldn't a larger packer mean an older cow, hence a tougher cow, and a smaller packer be from a smaller, younger, more tender cow?

Great question! I wonder about this too. Who knows, maybe this conversation is going to get into the "left, or right side brisket". :heh:

Hawg Father of Seoul
07-02-2013, 11:20 AM

Breed, breeding, and the processor have a lot to do with brisket size.

Podge
07-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Breed, breeding, and the processor have a lot to do with brisket size.

yes, and a nice even thick slice looks better in the box than something that looks like a thin Sizzler Sirloin.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I've looked at the RD briskets, and some of them look really good I think!..

The last two comps we cooked a creekstone prime along side a RD and turned the RD in both times. We did turn in the burnt ends off the creekstone but the flavor on the RD flat was better. Go figure. We didn't get a call in either comp but the scores weren't terrible so I think we are just going to save ourselves a $100 a comp and keep on keeping on. That being said our briskets we cooked a couple years ago were better IMO and judges agreed. We haven't changed a thing so brisket quality is the only thing I can mark it down to.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-02-2013, 07:52 PM

I've never had a problem getting them tender. The larger (and usually fattier) packers are more forgiving when it comes to drying them out IMO. I like a nice thick flat and well marbled point. That usually comes on the bigger packers. You can get great results on a smaller packer I just like the added insurance of a big (thick) packer.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
07-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Here is a pic from our first creekstone case 2 years ago. This case accounted for 3 consecutive brisket wins. We had 4 overall that season in I think 9 contests. We haven't won brisket since. haha. These things were beautiful. I felt guilty taking the trophies.

Podge
07-03-2013, 09:48 AM
The last two comps we cooked a creekstone prime along side a RD and turned the RD in both times. We did turn in the burnt ends off the creekstone but the flavor on the RD flat was better. Go figure. We didn't get a call in either comp but the scores weren't terrible so I think we are just going to save ourselves a $100 a comp and keep on keeping on. That being said our briskets we cooked a couple years ago were better IMO and judges agreed. We haven't changed a thing so brisket quality is the only thing I can mark it down to.

I would agree.. the creekstones of a couple of years ago were great when we got them from our source. Seems I couldn't get out of the top 10 if I tried with those things.

Pappy Q
07-03-2013, 11:00 AM

I'm sure you've been told bigger is better many times.....

Pappy Q
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Here is a pic from our first creekstone case 2 years ago. This case accounted for 3 consecutive brisket wins. We had 4 overall that season in I think 9 contests. We haven't won brisket since. haha. These things were beautiful. I felt guilty taking the trophies.

I remember those days, they were great.