PDA

View Full Version : Competition Burgers?

Semper Que BBQ
06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
So this might be a little odd but I have a competition this friday which is just ribs and burgers/chicken. Instead of having to bring a grill along too, does anyone have any experience with just smoking burgers? Any ideas especially on cook time would be great. Thinking of maybe stuffing them with a little grilled onions and some chedder cheese and wrapping in bacon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Parker
06-26-2013, 11:10 AM
What kind of grill? Trying smoking the burgers to a low temp like 135 - 140 and then get them over a fire to sear for a minute.

Ron_L
06-26-2013, 11:25 AM
A purely smoked burger wouldn't be good to me. Part of a burger is the nice sear on the outside. What type of smoker? Do you have a way to do a sear like Rich described?

Shiz-Nit
06-26-2013, 11:28 AM
make a smoked meatloaf burger

Semper Que BBQ
06-26-2013, 11:54 AM
22.5 wsm

jaestar
06-26-2013, 12:09 PM
You can also use a grate over a lit chimney of charcoal. Gets really hot for a great sear.

TailGateJoecom
06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
So this might be a little odd but I have a competition this friday which is just ribs and burgers/chicken. Instead of having to bring a grill along too, does anyone have any experience with just smoking burgers? Any ideas especially on cook time would be great. Thinking of maybe stuffing them with a little grilled onions and some chedder cheese and wrapping in bacon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like a fun comp, which one is it? I've been trying to find some burger/grilling comps.

Semper Que BBQ
06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
It is the Nassau County (NY) Firefighter competition. First place is 250 gift certificate at Fairway (which I will use for my comp in August.)

TailGateJoecom
06-26-2013, 12:40 PM
It is the Nassau County (NY) Firefighter competition. First place is 250 gift certificate at Fairway (which I will use for my comp in August.)

Ahhh, good luck!

Juggy D Beerman
06-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Do you have access to a Weber Kettle? If you do, let me know and I will post the recipe and technique that my sons used for Kids Q. They won many awards with it.

motoeric
06-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Why don't you foil 1/2 the charcoal grate and cook the burger on that? You can sear the burger and smoke the ribs on the same unit.

That way you only have to bring your WSM and you'll be set.

Is the event open to the public? I may come down?

Eric

Semper Que BBQ
06-26-2013, 03:44 PM
we have access to a kettle

jmoney7269
06-26-2013, 06:18 PM
you will never eat a better burger than one char grilled on some grill grates made with ground chuck, seasoned with worchester and lantana of texas all purpose seasoning. crispy bacon and a sweet jalapeno jumbo burger bun. man i would eat something like that every day of the week.

this is a damn good burger that i have made several times from pelletheads javajoekc
http://pelletheads.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=8368.0

Juggy D Beerman
06-27-2013, 02:21 PM
All right folks, Here is the recipe and technique for cooking burgers that I taught my fourteen children. They won many a Kids Q contest with this. Since they are all too old for kids contests, I will give up the recipe.

Their secret ingredient is cooking strips of bacon ahead of the day of turn ins or early that morning. You do not want to cook the burger immediately after the bacon as you will risk having a grease fire. So start out with a charcoal chimney that is 2/3s full. Place the hot coals on each side of the kettle so that you are cooking indirectly. On a 22.5" Kettle, you should be able to lay out a pounds worth of bacon strips, individually. Make sure that no part of the bacon is directly over the coals. I use cherry wood for smoke, but peach or pecan works good too. Cook for approximately 15 minutes and flip the bacon. Check the bacon again in ten minutes and flip the pieces if needed. The bacon is usually done in 30 minutes, but it can take as long as 45.

Now onto the burgers. As the old saying goes, fat is where the flavor is at. I like to use a 80% lean mix of burger. Seventy-three percent is good too, but they will really shrink. Make the burgers so they are half-pounders. They should be about one thick and six to eight inches in diameter. (As the burgers cook, they will shrink in diameter and get thicker.) Once the burgers are formed, give them a good coating of rub. We always used Smoking Guns Hot. The Slabs Beef Rub works good too. Your brisket rub will also work.

Once again, use 2/3s worth of charcoal in a chimney and use the same indirect method of cooking that you did for the bacon. Same cooking times and flipping times as well. Make sure you cook them to 160ºF. This way they will be in the safe zone and still juicy. The boys always added cheese during the last five minutes of cooking.

We always used onion buns for the turn ins. The sauce was applied to buns, not to the burgers as they cooked. If you have tomatoes, a nice slice works good too. One son liked to use a little mustard on the bun. We used a strip and one-half of bacon on each burger.

So that about covers it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck,

Juggy