PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from central NC

dgebhardt
06-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Hola amigos. My name is Dustin and I'm new to this forum. I currently reside near Pinehurst, NC and I'm originally from San Diego. Where I grew up "BBQ" meant carne asada, pollo asado, and burger/dogs. My Dad frequently made blackened chicken leather that you could cut with a chainsaw and I apparently inherited that gene. When we first got hitched, my wife said that I couldn't cook anything less than well-done, even if I tried to. I've gotten better over the years, I swear. :mrgreen:

My sister let me borrow her gas grill some 15 years ago and I've never returned it. It was cheap, but it got the job done. The burner was replaced twice. I braced the legs with metal x-braces, replaced the lava rock grate, replaced the regulator twice, and converted it to NG. Last month the burner went out again, and I decided retire the ol' gal and to get a Weber charcoal grill (for Father's Day, right?). Wanting to do it right, I hit up Google and Reddit, discovered that I wanted to try my hand at making a UDS, then I found this forum.

While travelling for an old job, I ended up in Dallas, TX now and again, and fell in love with brisket. I learned that BBQ sauce was extremely varied, had some vociferous defenders, and didn't have to come in a small plastic tub from McDonalds. My previous experience with ribs had left me more "meh" than "OMG", but TX changed that. I was bitten by the BBQ bug and never looked back. When I discovered that my friend's brother was a competition BBQer from Myrtle Beach, I eagerly spent a day bending his ear during a local competition.

Going forward, I look forward to learning from the best and being the guy that everybody wants at their social event because I can cook some awesome BBQ.

Big George's BBQ
06-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Welcome

bluetang
06-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

PaPaQ
06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Welcome!

frognot
06-28-2013, 02:56 AM
Welcome aboard Dustin!

gmag
06-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Welcome!

Garrett
06-28-2013, 08:01 AM
Welcome.