PDA

View Full Version : On the road in 'Bama

dwfisk
06-24-2013, 09:09 PM
My wife is on a business trip so we drove from north Florida to Birmingham yesterday (Sunday). We were staying near the UAB medical district and a bunch of the places recommended to us are closed on Sunday. Just a well, we were tired and had a light tex-mex dinner at Fuego in 5 points east of the medical district. Decided to skip lunch and have a late afternoon lunch/early dinner at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur on the way to Huntsville. Wife and I split their big sampler: 1/2 rack SL spares, pulled bork, brisket & turkey, slaw and beans - way to much food. Ribs, brisket and pulled pork were all very good; turkey was outstanding, We hit them at 4:30 PM and everything for their dinner & take out crowds were coming off the pits pretty fresh & hot. The dozen or so "Memphis In May" trophies at the front lobby are pretty impressive. Quick meeting in Huntsville early in the morning then off to Memphis for a couple days: Gus's, Central & Rendevous on the wishlist.

JohnnyP
06-25-2013, 10:44 AM
While in Memphis you might want to try Memphis Barbecue Company in Horn Lake, MS. It is a short drive down I- 55 to the Goodman Rd. exit and is located just west of the exit. Melissa Cookston , a Memphis In May grand champion and whole hog champion is the owner.

deguerre
06-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Glad you liked Gibson's. You're spot on about the turkey. That, and their smoked chicken are probably their best menu items now. Used to be their shoulder, but that was decades ago (Wish you could have tried them in the 60s!) I asked them once about ordering their Que via mail. They were like "Are you nuts? Why would you pay the shipping for a meal that cost less than half of what you paid to ship?" Wish other places had the same mindset. (Take THAT, Corky's...)

dwfisk
06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Went to Melissa Cookston's Memphis Barbecue Company last night - it was very good. We are staying in downtown Memphis near the I-40 bridge and it was only a 20 minute easy drive south. We have the cheese ball appetizer (great but to much for 2), I had turkey & sausage, wife had catfish (one resson we went is they have a varied menu and my wife was getting Q'd out). The setting is great, staff friendly and helpful and the dinner really good food. We also picked up some neat T-shirts for the kids. I'm doing Gus's for lunch and we will see about dinner later. Thanks for everybody's suggestions.
While in Memphis you might want to try Memphis Barbecue Company in Horn Lake, MS. It is a short drive down I- 55 to the Goodman Rd. exit and is located just west of the exit. Melissa Cookston , a Memphis In May grand champion and whole hog champion is the owner.

deguerre
06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
If you have even a REMOTE interest in R&B, the Stax Museum is fun.

http://www.staxmuseum.com/

dwfisk
06-28-2013, 01:13 PM
One of the great things about traveling with my wife when she is working I almost get to do anything I want for breakfast & lunch. Before leaving Memphis mid-day yesterday I was able to sample Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, Central BBQ and Brother Junipers for breakfast, all good eats. Gus's reputation is well deserved as evidenced by the joint filling to capacity including outside seating by 11:30 (got there at 11:15 - perfect) on a mid-week weekday. For anybody that knows Gus's knows they only have fried chicken & sides on the menu so I thought the handwritten daily special board was a hoot: "TODAY'S SPECIAL FRIED CHICKEN". Central BBQ was basic good BBQ. I like my ribs better (but I sure as hell liked theirs) and their hot links were outstanding. If anyone is ever in Memphis and craving a good ol' southern breakfast, Brother Junipers gets my vote. Huge omelettes(wife) and really good basic fried eggs, potatos & biscuits - you don't leave hungry thats for sure!
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

PS dguerre, I was showing the boys some pictures of the static rocket displays from the Marshall Space Flight Center and the youngest opined that "dad those would make some really cool smokers" - I think I raised him right!

deguerre
06-28-2013, 01:40 PM
One of the great things about traveling with my wife when she is working I almost get to do anything I want for breakfast & lunch. Before leaving Memphis mid-day yesterday I was able to sample Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, Central BBQ and Brother Junipers for breakfast, all good eats. Gus's reputation is well deserved as evidenced by the joint filling to capacity including outside seating by 11:30 (got there at 11:15 - perfect) on a mid-week weekday. For anybody that knows Gus's knows they only have fried chicken & sides on the menu so I thought the handwritten daily special board was a hoot: "TODAY'S SPECIAL FRIED CHICKEN". Central BBQ was basic good BBQ. I like my ribs better (but I sure as hell liked theirs) and their hot links were outstanding. If anyone is ever in Memphis and craving a good ol' southern breakfast, Brother Junipers gets my vote. Huge omelettes(wife) and really good basic fried eggs, potatos & biscuits - you don't leave hungry thats for sure!
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

PS dguerre, I was showing the boys some pictures of the static rocket displays from the Marshall Space Flight Center and the youngest opined that "dad those would make some really cool smokers" - I think I raised him right!

Been to Marshal a buncha times in the 60s and 70s. (Dad was one of the engineers there). Lot of good mempries. Wonder how big a firebox you'd need for that S1B 1st stage as the smoke chamber?:becky:

JohnnyP
06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Been to Marshal a buncha times in the 60s and 70s. (Dad was one of the engineers there). Lot of good mempries. Wonder how big a firebox you'd need for that S1B 1st stage as the smoke chamber?:becky:
Being formerly from Decatur i'm sure you've been to the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center. How about a Saturn V smoker ?