PDA

View Full Version : Best Brisket to use for Comp

DepChief22
06-24-2013, 03:43 PM
What is the best brisket to use for comp? Where do you get them?

Smitty250
06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
The one you can cook best!

You are going to get alot of various answers on this question. I have cooked wagyu,prime,CAB, and choice in comps. I just cooked a Sam's Club CAB Flat this past weekend at the Pechanga BBQ Competition - 70 teams and I took 10th. I've gotten briskets everywhere from SRF, Creekstone, Strube, Brandt, etc...

I personally think you need to stick with what you know how to cook and what you are comfortable with. When I started changing briskets (thinking I need a better grade) my scores dropped - went back to a CAB and walked this past weekend.

Just my opinion but hope it helps!

buttburnersbbq
06-24-2013, 06:23 PM
We use to cook Waygu Brisket an cost a fortune.I thought we had a hand up on everyone by cooking the best meat money can buy .It would come out perfect with pull test and tenderness/flavor , but the local judges around here do not know the difference. I even had given samples to other teams and they all asked my opinion on what they were doing wrong. Needless to say we came in 10th in Brisket . The team that got first was the brisket that was tough and dry. So that being said we now cook Choice Brisket which is way cheaper ( we got at Restaurant Depot , 15lb about $37.00 ) and first time cooking choice we came in 3rd in brisket. So don't waste the money for a over priced Brisket . If you have the taste and tenderness in a Brisket that is all that matters .

Jeremy Moyers
06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
We cook Snake River Farms Wagyu and have had great success with them. It is by far our strongest and most consistent category, and I have to say that starting with a great product really helps. It's the fat content and consistency of the cut that makes the difference to me.

I am also playing around with the Niman Ranch Primes. They are also very nice.

All this being said, I think that the geographic region that you cook in dictates what beef you should cook. Here in GA, most successful cooks are cooking wagyu or prime primarily because it is what the judges have come to expect. There is definitely a different mouth feel with wagyu.

mobow
06-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Buy what you can afford and cook it well. Keith