PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Injestions, what"s your pick?

RLTXBBQ
06-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Wanting to experiment with some injections so just curious what you guys see or hear of the most often used by the teams in the winners circle? Found this thread from 2009 but would like some more up to date opinions before I drop the cash? No asking for secret recipes just curious what most winners use since there are so many out there now.

JerryA
06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Kosmo's Q injections are great!

CBQ
06-23-2013, 06:46 PM
The 3 most common ones would be FAB, Butchers, and Kosmos, I would think.

gettinbasted
06-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Butchers

NickyG
06-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Trust your Butcher.

RLTXBBQ
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
oops forgot to add the link from 2009
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63067

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
06-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I love Butchers Prime.

INmitch
06-23-2013, 10:06 PM
The 3 most common ones would be FAB, Butchers, and Kosmos, I would think.

Yup! Any one of these three will get you where you need to go. Start out with their basic injections. The butchers prime, or Kosmos Reserve is their basic injection plus their rub. If you want your own flavor in there get the basic injection n add your own rub.

Sawdustguy
06-24-2013, 12:27 AM
We like FAB B lite.

jmoney7269
06-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Make your own and add amesphos.

gmag
06-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Pork, brisket and chicken...all Butcher BBQ.

BBQBeaver
06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Butcher's for pork and brisket.
Oakridge Game Changer for Chicken.

Lake Dogs
06-24-2013, 09:13 AM
I dont inject chicken; grilled chicken doesnt need injecting IMHO...

Pulled pork, I do inject, but I stick to my own personalization of apple juice, worchestershire, and some of rub...

Beef, I think most who inject use their favorite of Kosmos, Butchers, and/or FAB. I haven't tried FAB. I prefer Butchers over Kosmos, but that has more to do with which one goes better with my rub...

You'll want to settle on a rub, then try the different injections with it to see which goes best. Also, for me, we found that they can get more than a bit salty. Also, I didnt care for them mixed with beef broth. I use the injection watered down more than the recipe calls for, and leave it out to "set up" overnight before injecting...

Jeremy Moyers
06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
We inject pork and brisket, but we make our own injections for both categories. I have used butchers products with success, but there is a definite flavor to butchers products that I am not a huge fan of. This being said, there are a TON of teams that are very successful with these products! I also know a lot of very successful cooks that make their own injection using apple juice, vinegar, hot sauce, sugars, etc. for pork and a beef base/beef au jus thing for brisket. I would suggest trying several variations and seeing what fits your style and flavor profile the best.

RLTXBBQ
06-24-2013, 09:30 PM
lol, so whats a bbq injestion? Just saw my misspelled title, thanks for the replys will start the R&D.

JS-TX
06-24-2013, 10:10 PM
People win with all the the major products and their own mixes, it's all just preference and what works for you. There are even people who win w/out any injections! :shock: lol

Q-Dat
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
lol, so whats a bbq injestion? Just saw my misspelled title, thanks for the replys will start the R&D.

I typically "injest" whatever BBQ is in front of me!

Seriously though, for brisket I like Beef Base mixed strong enough so that its about as salty as the water you would boil seafood in.

Q-Dat
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM

I typically "injest" whatever BBQ is in front of me!

Seriously though, for brisket I like Beef Base mixed strong enough so that its about as salty as the water you would boil seafood in, and then I add phosphates to it.

Butcher BBQ
06-25-2013, 06:33 AM
It should go with out mention what I would vote for. I would suggest that this is the best time of all to try all three. With our Trade In program, after purchasing one and you don't like it trade it in for a like product of Butcher BBQ's. My goal is to just allow everyone a chance to learn about injecting with out it costing so much. I offer this because I feel regardless of who's product is chosen we have introduced one more to the world of injecting.

Granny's Gang Barbeque
06-25-2013, 07:05 AM
While there are some great injections on the market (personally I use Butchers). Don't pass up a decent recipe. In his cook book "Slow Fire", Ray Lampe has a great recipe for pork injection. Dr. BBQ's recipe has served me well. It's placed me well in competitions, and even won a few People's Choice Pork events.

Smokin Mike
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
I use Butchers too, make sure to check out his how-to videos on his site, and order some injectors too.

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
06-25-2013, 10:28 AM
It should go with out mention what I would vote for. I would suggest that this is the best time of all to try all three. With our Trade In program, after purchasing one and you don't like it trade it in for a like product of Butcher BBQ's. My goal is to just allow everyone a chance to learn about injecting with out it costing so much. I offer this because I feel regardless of who's product is chosen we have introduced one more to the world of injecting.

Is there any problem mixing the injection a day or two ahead of time?

Really trying to be lazy on Friday so if I can make it Wednesday or Thursday and refrigerate it with no problems I will gladly do that.

indianagriller
06-25-2013, 10:35 AM
it can and will thicken up a tad on you if you mix it too far ahead... some people like that though.

Rich Parker
06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Wicked Que and Sweet Smoke Q have good injections.

it can and will thicken up a tad on you if you mix it too far ahead... some people like that though.

I like mine to sit around 4 - 5 days.

Muzzlebrake
06-25-2013, 12:14 PM
for beef I trust my Butcher, for pork and chicken I like Smoke on Wheels

Smoke&HoneyBBQ
06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Cool I will just mix day of. Not that difficult and kind of therapeutic.

MAP
06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

I have played around with all the major brands and done some of my own but once I started using yours my scores went way up.

P.S. How about a sponsorship...lol

Butcher BBQ
06-25-2013, 05:35 PM

Yes and it needs to be kept cold after this, but it can be done. Yes it will seem to thicken up, you can let it set out and come to room temp before using the day of comp and it seems like it helps with the thickness.

RLTXBBQ
06-25-2013, 09:02 PM
David that still does not effect how it works though right?
Mixing on wednesday night for friday night injecting is okay?

EWizza
06-25-2013, 09:19 PM
so is the consensus that most teams inject for competition? Do you inject only for competitions or do you also do it in the back yard as well? Do you inject instead of brining or both?

Butcher BBQ
06-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Should be no changes.

cpw
06-26-2013, 07:51 AM
so is the consensus that most teams inject for competition? Do you inject only for competitions or do you also do it in the back yard as well? Do you inject instead of brining or both?

I think the vast majority of teams inject with something. If I'm cooking at home I'll inject only if I'm practicing for a comp (which is most of the time). If I'm just cooking a pork butt for a friend, no injection.

The only meat I brine is chicken, haven't tried to brine anything else. The general consensus on brining big meats is that they're too big to accept much liquid from the brine. That's why you'd inject.

I did just start using Butcher's bird booster (an injection for chicken) with great results, so I might not be brining chickens anymore either.

Rich Parker
06-26-2013, 11:18 AM

I use David's Prime Injection and always mix it the Monday before the event and put it in the fridge. I think a thicker injection works better.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I am a fan of the Fab line of products. They have a flavor I really like and retain moisture very well. I generally mix my injections the Wednesday before a comp. I mix probably at 75% of the recommended FAB to liquid ratio.

Pole D
06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I use Butchers and really like the results. However, I have to say I don't like the way it smells when I mix it up. But it's not about me.

INmitch
06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Is there any problem mixing the injection a day or two ahead of time?

Really trying to be lazy on Friday so if I can make it Wednesday or Thursday and refrigerate it with no problems I will gladly do that.
I've mixed it as much as 11-12 days ahead when on the road and doing 2 comps. I add my own rub to the injection. I keep it cold n give it a good shake every day or two.

EWizza
06-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I think the vast majority of teams inject with something. If I'm cooking at home I'll inject only if I'm practicing for a comp (which is most of the time). If I'm just cooking a pork butt for a friend, no injection.

The only meat I brine is chicken, haven't tried to brine anything else. The general consensus on brining big meats is that they're too big to accept much liquid from the brine. That's why you'd inject.

I did just start using Butcher's bird booster (an injection for chicken) with great results, so I might not be brining chickens anymore either.

Thanks CPW that is helpful. I have only brined chicken and turkey for the most part. The injection idea sounds interesting... Dr. BBQ has some recipes in his book and I actually found a place near me that sells Butcher (in Massachusetts of all places!) so I am going to pick up some of that to play with as well.