View Full Version : Hello from a Judean Hillbilly

Yoel Keren
06-23-2013, 08:29 AM
I grew up in Oklahoma City, also spending a good deal of time in Dallas, San Antonio and St. Louis.

My grandfather runs a huge offset pit. He's a master welder and brick mason, so he did it right. He never uses a thermometer during his cooks. He just knows his fire and his meat. With good BBQ always available, I never learned to do it myself.

About 12 years ago, I moved to Israel, to the Judean hills outside Jerusalem. I've been exposed to over 70 different cuisines here, the food is fantastic. But 2 things are missing, Tex-Mex and BBQ.

These days we eat kosher, which pretty much limits us to beef, lamb, poultry and fish. Not having piggy in our repertoire does limit us, but that just forces us to be a bit more creative with what we're working with.

Israelis love to grill. It's the national pastime. But they don't understand BBQ, not at all.

About a year ago, some friends and I decided to remedy this shameful state of affairs. We built ourselves some UDS pits and started teaching ourselves to BBQ. BBQ Brethren was a huge part of our learning process. Still is.

Hats off to this forum and those who spent years amassing the body of information contained here. We lived and breathed BBQ Brethren until our builds were done and we had a handle on how to use them.

One of the reasons I never joined was because every question I could think of was already answered here.

But now, as I gain experience, I have a few questions about things that I'd like to improve, and so I finally joined.

I know what real pit BBQ should taste like. And I can tell you that we are turning out some good stuff, the real deal. I thank you for helping us get this far, and I hope we can take it to the next level.

06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join in. Looking forward to your posts!

06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Welcome! L'chiam! To BBQ!

06-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Welcome, from Naples, FL!

06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

06-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Welcome. You need to smoke some pastramis up for those yidlach or how about a smoked stuffed derma? Like a fatty, only different. :-P You'll have them lining up down the block! Gay gezinteh hait bro.