PDA

View Full Version : Zoo B Que, Racine, Wisconsin

ciret
03-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I found out that there will be a KCBS sanctioned contest here in Racine. I've never done a contest, but it sound like fun. I'm not sure I could pull it off on my own, so any brethren interested in putting a team together? Or if there's a team that would accept some help I'm interested.

I wasn't able to find out anything except it's July 28 & 29.

Let me know what you think.

ciret
03-10-2006, 05:26 PM
I found some more information at http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=403882 :

Zoo plans barbecue contest, concert
Racine - The Racine Zoo will play host to a professional barbecue competition July 29 called "Zoo B Que," sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

Zoo B Que will open with an event July 28 in which visitors will be able to meet the contestants and the sponsors. More than $13,000 will be awarded to winning teams in the barbecue contest.

The entry fee is $200 a team, plus the cost of electricity, for one entry in the four standard Kansas City Barbeque Society categories: chicken, ribs, pork shoulder or butt and brisket.

Copies of the Kansas City Barbeque Society rules are available on its Web site (www.kcbs.us) or from Zoo B Que.

The event is open to vendors of both food and non-perishable items. Registration fee for vendors is $100.

For information, contact Marsha at Lakeshorestudio@sbcglobal.net, or the Racine Zoo at (262) 636-9273, or skratochvil@racinezoo.org.

billm
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I found some more information at http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=403882 :

Zoo plans barbecue contest, concert
Racine - The Racine Zoo will play host to a professional barbecue competition July 29 called "Zoo B Que," sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society.

Zoo B Que will open with an event July 28 in which visitors will be able to meet the contestants and the sponsors. More than $13,000 will be awarded to winning teams in the barbecue contest.

The entry fee is $200 a team, plus the cost of electricity, for one entry in the four standard Kansas City Barbeque Society categories: chicken, ribs, pork shoulder or butt and brisket.

Copies of the Kansas City Barbeque Society rules are available on its Web site (www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us)) or from Zoo B Que.

The event is open to vendors of both food and non-perishable items. Registration fee for vendors is $100.

For information, contact Marsha at Lakeshorestudio@sbcglobal.net, or the Racine Zoo at (262) 636-9273, or skratochvil@racinezoo.org.

this one is shaping up to be a good one..from what i heard though there will be a 20 team max and they got about half that now. i would not wait too long to sign up

parrothead
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
We are thinking about doing that one. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks for the 20 team info. I'd better sign up quick.

parrothead
03-20-2006, 12:22 PM
I just sent an e-mail asking for information. Hope I can get in.

Any brethren that want to hang out are more than welcome.

If you guys put a team together, hope to see ya as well.

billm
03-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I just sent an e-mail asking for information. Hope I can get in.

Any brethren that want to hang out are more than welcome.

If you guys put a team together, hope to see ya as well.
one of the organizers (marsha) helped judge at the rib/chicken comp in Des Plaines a couple weeks ago and that was the info she relayed to me..the payouts on this one are pretty large

billm
03-21-2006, 02:22 PM
FYI -just got word that they have 13 entries so far and that this is going to be a state championship as well

dswfondy
03-22-2006, 10:07 AM
I just sent my entry in yesterday. Thats great its going to be a state championship. I was going to call and see if there was a chance that it would be. Since losing my job i have very limited funds, and think this will be my only comp this year. Hopefully i can get my pit done and get some catering gigs to change that!!

dswfondy

Branson's BBQ

parrothead
03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Mine is going in the mail today. Crossing my fingers that it makes it there in time.

billm
03-22-2006, 10:46 AM
hopefully my source is accurate on it being a state championship now..im sure the organizers can verify if you ask

parrothead
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
hopefully my source is accurate on it being a state championship now..im sure the organizers can verify if you ask

It is. It says so in the KCBS Bullsheet.

billm
03-23-2006, 07:03 AM
well then im glad to know my source was reliable..I havent got the last couple bullsheets cuz i never renewed my kcbs membership this year:)

dswfondy
03-28-2006, 07:31 AM
i called yesterday and there was 15 teams signed up, just thought i'd give a heads up!!

Dswfondy

Dace

Branson's BBQ

billm
03-28-2006, 08:17 AM
wow..filling up fast considering it isnt until end of July!

ciret
03-28-2006, 08:07 PM
So, how many Brethren teams are going to be at this one? I've never even been to a competion before, but it sounds like fun. I'd be more than happy to help out any bro's that need a hand.

billm
03-29-2006, 06:59 AM
So, how many Brethren teams are going to be at this one? I've never even been to a competion before, but it sounds like fun. I'd be more than happy to help out any bro's that need a hand.

we wont need any help but stop on by and say hi anyway..Im sure we will ahve somehting good cooking on Friday..saturday is not a good day to visit though

parrothead
03-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Still waiting to hear if I am in or not. Everything should have made it there by now. Guess I will just have to keep watching the mail.I asked the lady to e-mail me when she got it, but nothing yet.

billm
03-31-2006, 09:48 AM
i havent heard anything either but thats normal for most comps..at least the ones ive entered..they usually send an info packet out as the date gets closer

parrothead
03-31-2006, 10:13 AM
And if I am in, anyone is welcome to come and hang out.

More than welcome to come around on Saturday also. Especially at clean up time.

Ron_L
03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
And if I am in, anyone is welcome to come and hang out.

More than welcome to come around on Saturday also. Especially at clean up time.

Yep! The more the merrier, immediately after the awards ceremony! :-D

ciret
03-31-2006, 01:08 PM
I just called and they said 15 entries in, with a max of 20-25.

parrothead
04-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Yep! The more the merrier, immediately after the awards ceremony! :-D
This ought to be the closest one for you yet, Ron.

Oh, by the way, you gonna be available?

Ron_L
04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
This ought to be the closest one for you yet, Ron.

Oh, by the way, you gonna be available?

Yep... I just put it on my calendar...

dswfondy
04-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey all,

these messages were posted on www.wibbq.org this week from marsha a zoo b que

Dace Branson
Branson's BBQ

Hi everyone!

This is Marsha, from the Zoo B Que. I'm thrilled to see so much talk about our contest in Racine, WI. It is shaping up to be a really good one, thanks to all of your enthusiuasm. Although this is our first BBQ event, we do LOTS of other events during the year, so we promise a good competiton with lots of fun for the whole family.

Because of your fantastic response, our contest is anout 60% filled, so please get your applications in quickly. We have filled all of our 20 X 20 sites, so I hope you can fit into the 15 X 20s.

Can anyone tell me what kinds of motors, etc. you all run off the supplied power at a contest? I know it's spits...but whatelse? Our electrician wants to be sure we have enough of what everyone needs. We will NOT be able to power your motor homes, etc. Hope that's not a problem!

Keep the good talk going! I've attached applications and those great payouts!

Marsha

I assume you have heard, it is all grass. A beautiful site overlooking Lake Michigan with the lions and tigers roaring in the background!

Hope you'll be joining us. We're 60% filled and getting responses all the time!

Marsha
ZooBQue

billm
04-12-2006, 10:42 AM
really looking forward to this one...should be a good time

parrothead
04-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I still have not received anything stating that I am in or not.

chad
04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
15x20 sites blow chunks! Greg, you wouldn't be able to get the Ortone into a 15x20 and still have room for your canopy, tables, etec. It sounds like water and electric are a bit "iffy" too. 20x40 or 40x40 sites with water and electric hookups, RULE!!

Good luck guys...you will overcome!

parrothead
04-13-2006, 06:44 AM
15x20 sites blow chunks! Greg, you wouldn't be able to get the Ortone into a 15x20 and still have room for your canopy, tables, etec. It sounds like water and electric are a bit "iffy" too. 20x40 or 40x40 sites with water and electric hookups, RULE!!

Good luck guys...you will overcome!

I sent in some time ago and paid extra for a 20x40. If I don't get that, I'm not going to go. I can't do 15x20. It's impossible.

parrothead
04-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Still no word from these people. I just checked my on-line account and they cashed my check so I guess that I am in. Just wish that I knew for a fact that I am in and have the larger site that I paid extra for.

billm
04-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Still no word from these people. I just checked my on-line account and they cashed my check so I guess that I am in. Just wish that I knew for a fact that I am in and have the larger site that I paid extra for.

i would just call them or email them..i beleive the phone numbers were on the original app form
i dont think ive ever recieved just a confirmation on any comp ive entered..usually just get a welcome packet a week or two in advance of the comp

dswfondy
05-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey all,

Has anyone else signed up for this event?

Dace

dswfondy
05-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi all,

Just talked to the organizers and there is 23 teams and prob two more on board. Also information packets have been sent out so expect them in the next few days.

Dace

Branson's BBQ

parrothead
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
I got mine on Tuesday. See you all there. Ciret, you team up with anyone? Or you gonna hang with us? Best thing would be if you live nearby to stop by on Friday for awhile, and then get a good nights sleep and show up in the morning to be someone with their head on straight. But you are more than welcome to hang all night if you want as well to get the full experience.

PimpSmoke
06-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Greg,

I'm tentativly planning on coming out for this one, if only as a visitor.

What kinda drinks should I bring with me??:twisted: For after turn in of course.

parrothead
06-02-2006, 06:43 AM
I generally have rum for for a couple on Friday night and some ice cold beer to crack open after turn in.

Looking forward to meating everyone.

Ron_L
06-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I'll be there with Greg, so I'll get to meat you guys, too!

dswfondy
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Hey all,

Just talked with Marsha she is going to be sending out site information and other stuff in the next week to ten days. At first she was not going to send out a map of competition area but i explained that contestants like seeing the area and where their sites are. She is going to now include a map and site list with the next mailing.

Dace Branson

Branson's BBQ

ciret
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I got mine on Tuesday. See you all there. Ciret, you team up with anyone? Or you gonna hang with us? Best thing would be if you live nearby to stop by on Friday for awhile, and then get a good nights sleep and show up in the morning to be someone with their head on straight. But you are more than welcome to hang all night if you want as well to get the full experience.

I'm in town that weekend, and not hooked up with any team. I plan to come on down and get in the wa, er, help out :mrgreen:

What time are you planning to arrive on Friday?

parrothead
06-30-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm in town that weekend, and not hooked up with any team. I plan to come on down and get in the wa, er, help out :mrgreen:

What time are you planning to arrive on Friday?

Early thirty

dswfondy
07-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Anyone else signed up for this one? Just curious

parrothead
07-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Just got an e-mail last night ffrom the organizer.

Turn ins for dessert and anything but will be on Friday night.

Seems they changed the definition of anything but. It typically means anything but the big four. It now means that you have to use 2 of the following: brats, cheese, beer.

We shall improvise, adapt, and overcome. No bacon wrapped scallops for our turn-in.

Desserts must contain chocolate. I can see them saying that is a must.

voodoobbqIL
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I emailed yesterday but have had no reply yet. We would definately want to go being so close. The 15 x 20 thing will be a challenge as Grand Rapids was 15 x 30 and we fudged to 17 x 30 to make it all fit. If anyone has a packet that they can send me please do I really would ahve to miss this one.

2Fat
07-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Just got an e-mail last night ffrom the organizer.

Turn ins for dessert and anything but will be on Friday night

Desserts must contain chocolate. I can see them saying that is a must.

Chocolate, booze, ice cream are always in the winners circle---see ya there--comning to visit!

parrothead
07-19-2006, 07:17 AM
There ya are buzz. And Phil said you were dead.

Ron_L
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
For those planning on visiting the competition, I had invited a friend to stop by on Friday evening, and he was told by the Zoo that in order to get into the Zoo on Friday night he would have to buy a ticket to their concert for $40 (or the concert and dinner for $75)! i sent the Zoo an e-mail to clarify this and here is their response...

They can visit you on Friday afternoon, but must leave by 3:00pm when the
zoo closes. Admission on Saturday during the day is only $5 for adults, and
kids are free from 10:00am to 3:00pm. But if they want to come in on Friday
night or Saturday night, they must purchase a ticket.

This puts a damper on people visiting on Friday after 3:00pm.

I wonder if a visitor was on site before 3 if they could stay if we told the zoo that they were part of our team?

voodoobbqIL
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM
sounds like team member lists are in order for entrance.

PimpSmoke
07-26-2006, 02:14 PM
That kinda farks up plans.

Got any ideas Greg?

Hopefully the event organizers are busy enough to not give a fark, but who knows. If the concert tickets are $40 then it looks like they're in it for profit which means they'll be tight about it.

Ron_L
07-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I received an e-mail from one of the coordinators (Marsha) and the Zoo folks aren't fully up to speed on the competition plans. Each team will receive some (don't know how many) wrist bands that are good for Friday evening and Saturday until 3:00.

If anyone is planning on visiting, I would suggest getting in touch with one of the Brethren teams (Greg's team and dswfondy as far as I know) via cell phone when you get to the site. We should be able to get you a wrist band at that point.

PM me if you want my cell number.

parrothead
07-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Things are a little sketchy but we can figure it out. Anyone visiting at an odd hour just tell them that you are with the BBQ Brethren team. May work, may not. I think from the e-mail that it said two full blown tickets would go to each team. Followed with, "after all it is a fund raiser".

billm
07-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Things are a little sketchy but we can figure it out. Anyone visiting at an odd hour just tell them that you are with the BBQ Brethren team. May work, may not. I think from the e-mail that it said two full blown tickets would go to each team. Followed with, "after all it is a fund raiser".
after reading some of the nitpicky rules in the packet and email makes me wonder why they are having a bbq comp..it almost seems like we are imposing on them and the zoo festivities..

best one was.."no coffee pots" in regards to electric

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Wow, maybe I won't look into this one next year afterall. Seems like a ton of hassle and tiny spaces. In regards to the coffee pots, show me an organizer that's up at 4am when we typically start our big pot! :roll: I'd plan as usual on the coffee anyway.

I do have this one as a "maybe" for '07 so I'll be interested to hear how it all plays out! Good luck to all the Brothers in Racine! Kick some butt, will ya?

billm
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
oh I have no intention of leaving my coffe pot or music behind..i had to pay for electric ..just seems to be getting a bad vibe from the emails and and all..hope im wrong...

billm
07-27-2006, 09:21 AM
fund raiser? last i checked we had to pay an entry fee for the comp ..then they want to charge us for passes.

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
fund raiser? last i checked we had to pay am entry fee for the comp ..now they want to charge us for passes?

Hermann, MO charges everyone to get into their BBQ event... public, teams... EVERYONE! $5 per head. Not sure why other than to make an extra buck to defray expenses.

billm
07-27-2006, 09:39 AM
yea bad thing is i was pushing this comp at the beginning..now im not so sure :-D

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2006, 11:19 AM
yea bad thing is i was pushing this comp at the beginning..now im not so sure :-D

Heck, just go, cook it and enjoy it. You might be surprised...

willkat98
07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I see the Friday night "Hoe Down" is catered by Saz's.

That's one of the few restaurants in the Wisconsin where I order the rib platter. Pretty good stuff for a restaurant, way better than a chain operation. An institution in the brewery district in Milwaukee.

As far as the music limitation, maybe its just "loud" and "late" that they are concerned about, seeing how you might be surrounded by wild animals, in cages, that probably already are skittish from the fact that they can smell something burning, and their natural tendancy is to get the hell out of there.

Ron_L
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Too bad they are in cages. Zebra ribs may be interesting :-D

BillM... Do the rules really say no coffee pots? That's a problem. Good thing I'm bringing a coffee urn instead. :rolleyes:

billm
07-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Heck, just go, cook it and enjoy it. You might be surprised...

I plan on it

billm
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I see the Friday night "Hoe Down" is catered by Saz's.

That's one of the few restaurants in the Wisconsin where I order the rib platter. Pretty good stuff for a restaurant, way better than a chain operation. An institution in the brewery district in Milwaukee.

As far as the music limitation, maybe its just "loud" and "late" that they are concerned about, seeing how you might be surrounded by wild animals, in cages, that probably already are skittish from the fact that they can smell something burning, and their natural tendancy is to get the hell out of there.

im wondering if they are doing an inventory of animals before and after..
was hoping to do camel hoofs for Anything Butt

billm
07-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Too bad they are in cages. Zebra ribs may be interesting :-D

BillM... Do the rules really say no coffee pots? That's a problem. Good thing I'm bringing a coffee urn instead. :rolleyes:

Ron-yes they do..i finally read through the packet last night and was surprised to see that..no coffee pots, nesco roasters, etc...just bbq equipment ...so i guess electric smokers are ok???:rolleyes:
hey im just ignoring it..we will have coffee going in the morning and our music mixes plugged in the whole weekend...

Ron_L
07-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I received some more information from marsha a few minutes ago...

Glad we could begin to straighten this out. You will get the wristbands when you check in. There will be some limit--maybe 10 or so--and I think if your guests call to say they're at the front gate you or someone from your party can take them up to them. Our gate people know to let people with wristbands in. They'll need to leave by 11PM on Friday and Saturday can be there from 10 AM until 3:30/4:00 (when awards are done.) We have to clear the Zoo for the concert Sat. nite. (You're getting 2 free tickets for that, too!)

Just thought you guys would want to know!

See everyone tomorrow!

ciret
07-27-2006, 05:52 PM
The Zoo website (racinezoo.org) says;

Friday kicks off with a gala 'hoe down' with the best barbeque spread around catered by Saz's. Enjoy cajun fiddling sensation Amanda Shaw, and regional country band, Chasin' Mason as they keep the party going all night. Cheer on your favorite CEO as they complete for bragging rights in the CEO Grill-Off Challenge. Food, entertainment, and drink are included in the ticket price. Gates open for ticket holders at 4:30 PM; Grill-Off starts at 5:30 PM; Dinner service begins at 6:00 PM; Entertainment begins at 7:00 PM.
Wake up early the Saturday and smell the smoke as over 20 professional barbeque teams compete in the Wisconsin State Barbeque Championship! Contest begins at 10:00 AM, and awards at 3:00 PM. Cost for daytime admission to the Zoo and the event is $5.00 per person for 16 and older. Admission is FREE for Zoo members, children under 16, and for those who have purchased tickets to the evening concert. Don't go home early as country superstars, Josh Gracin and Tracy Byrd, will perform beginning at 7:00 PM. Tickets are only $40.00 per person. To purchase tickets for the the Friday party or Saturday concert, visit www.racinezootickets.com (http://www.racinezootickets.com/) or call (262) 636-9189.

ciret
07-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I hooked up with Parrothead, Bob and RonL at the Racine Zoo this afternoon. dswfondy was also there along with some other bros'

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1552.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1553.jpg

More as I get them loaded . . .

ciret
07-28-2006, 10:54 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1547.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1549.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1550.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1548.jpg

ciret
07-28-2006, 11:03 PM
had to use 2 of 3, beer, brats, cheese. The RonL prepared brat-quebabs, with a beer and mustard glaze.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/8ac2e840.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/b79a1fa3.jpg

ciret
07-28-2006, 11:05 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1560.jpg

ciret
07-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh, we checked and they were pretty darn tasty :mrgreen:

ciret
07-28-2006, 11:14 PM
had to contain chocolate. Parrothead & Bob made icecream with grilled glazed pineapple and chocolate syrup, garnished with mint leaves.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1565.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1566.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1567.jpg

ciret
07-28-2006, 11:17 PM
looks good to me :grin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1575.jpg

ciret
07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
I'll try to get some more tomorrow . . . later . . .

parrothead
07-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Congratulations Billm with Chi-town smokers! Grand Champion!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a great time at this venue. It was very well run for a first crack at a competition. We got our first iron as well. 5th in ribs was decent as we haven't been able to place well in ribs before. Once again we just need to put them all together at the same comp.

We got called three times. 5th in ribs, 10th in chicken and 2nd place for Ron L's shish-ka-brats.

This has been my best contest for getting to know our local competitiors as of yet, and got to spend some quality time with buzz (2fat) as he was not competing ot judging, but just came down to hang with all of his cooking buddies.

Was also great to meet Ciret and pimpsmoke and spend some time with them. Thanks for pitching in and helping out guys! It's always appreciated. Now you have to talk the ladies into letting you make it down here for the bash. After all we came up to visit in your state. Tell them that it is only right that you guys come down and visit us in ours.

As usual, we learned some valuable stuff and met some great people.

Ciret, post some more of those pictures when you get a chance. Especially the brethren flag with the jack daniel's girls.

parrothead
07-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Forgot to mention that Dace's team, Branson's BBQ took a walk for 1st place in dessert. Way to go guys.You got a picture of that stuff?

Ron_L
07-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm with Greg. It was great meeting all of the Brethren! Having Ciret and Pimp with us was a big help. Ciret was our official runner for turn ins and Pimp helped out whenever we needed him, and both guys were a big help when we were packing up! Thanks, guys!

Having a competition at a Zoo was pertty cool. They had a few restrictions that were designed to protect the animals, but it all worked out well. We were right next to the Meerkats. They were very cute, but they kept staring at us!

http://www.meerkats.com/images/5422.jpg

Also, when it was my shift to mind the pit (at about 3AM), I could hear the lioness roaring once in a while. She probably smelled all of the food and was calling for samples!

ciret
07-30-2006, 10:31 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1606-1.jpg

ciret
07-30-2006, 10:34 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1594.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1595.jpg

ciret
07-30-2006, 10:35 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1603.jpg

ciret
07-30-2006, 10:38 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1580.jpg

billm
07-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Congratulations Billm with Chi-town smokers! Grand Champion!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a great time at this venue. It was very well run for a first crack at a competition. We got our first iron as well. 5th in ribs was decent as we haven't been able to place well in ribs before. Once again we just need to put them all together at the same comp.

We got called three times. 5th in ribs, 10th in chicken and 2nd place for Ron L's shish-ka-brats.

This has been my best contest for getting to know our local competitiors as of yet, and got to spend some quality time with buzz (2fat) as he was not competing ot judging, but just came down to hang with all of his cooking buddies.

Was also great to meet Ciret and pimpsmoke and spend some time with them. Thanks for pitching in and helping out guys! It's always appreciated. Now you have to talk the ladies into letting you make it down here for the bash. After all we came up to visit in your state. Tell them that it is only right that you guys come down and visit us in ours.

As usual, we learned some valuable stuff and met some great people.

Ciret, post some more of those pictures when you get a chance. Especially the brethren flag with the jack daniel's girls.

Greg-thanks for the kudo's!
we had a feeling we might get a call or two because we were very happy with our food and cooking this time around but we never dreamt we would get a GC call..truly an outstanding day

was also glad to meet some other folks from the Brethren forum as well

billm
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1580.jpg\
thanks Ciret..we forgot our camera so i will have to dl this..

fyi (l-r) Perry, Billm, and Rob

ciret
07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
The team . . .
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1553-1.jpg

pickin' up the Desert ribbon,
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1613.jpg

Solidkick
07-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Congrats to all the brothers! We're proud of you!

And anytime you get time to send part of your day with Buzz is just icing on the cake, he's a great guy!

dswfondy
07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Sorry we got no picture of the dessert, trisha thought it bombed so she didnt take a piucture. She said she will make some soon and take a pic. Congrats to all who got the calls. will post our turn ins later when i get the pics

PimpSmoke
07-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Greg, Bob and Ron

Thanks for the hospitality, I had a great time. The food was great, although that Brisket's gonna have me puzzled for awhile.

Got to meet dswfondy and BillM.

It was quite a learning experience for me and it was great meeting everyone.

Congrats to BillM and Chi-Town Smokers, Good Job guys!

ciret, did you add your new title to your sig line???:mrgreen:

And Buzz thanks for the brew and the "tour of the turn-in"

Will see you all at the bash.

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Congrats, guys! Looks like fun! And from your pictures, I see lots of shade and Lake Michigan in the background. I can imagine some cool breezes blowing off the lake. Must have been much more bearable than the oppressive heat we had this weekend! Showed my wife those photos and she agrees... we might give Racine a shot in '07.

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Congrats guys... real nice job to all. Pics were great.

(RonL - I think you shoulda given that JD girl on the right a few of your bratkabobs - she looks a little too thin)...

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Having a competition at a Zoo was pertty cool. They had a few restrictions that were designed to protect the animals, but it all worked out well. We were right next to the Meerkats. They were very cute, but they kept staring at us!

http://www.meerkats.com/images/5422.jpg

Gutsy little farkers to stare at a bunch of guys cooking dead animals! :lol:

(RonL - I think you shoulda given that JD girl on the right a few of your bratkabobs - she looks a little too thin)...

I'm definitely going to Racine next year! I'll volunteer to feed her by hand! :wink:

ciret
07-30-2006, 04:12 PM

parrothead w/ da iron'
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1615.jpg

RonL for the brat-kabobs,
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1611.jpg

ciret
07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
parrothead w/ the girls,
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/ciret/Zoo-B-Que/DSCN1609.jpg

(ps, check Greg's ears lol)

dswfondy
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
here are my boxes from yesterday. I need some thoughts on them, they scored all over the place. also the pictures are not the best.

THanks

Dace

Ron_L
07-30-2006, 04:27 PM

My wife was there... Otherwise I would have given the JD girl my whole bratwurst! :twisted:

parrothead w/ the girls,

I guess Bob and I better start looking for a new team to cook with... We've been replaced.

BTW, those are Greg's real ears. Why do you think he wears the bandana? :-D :-D

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
here are my boxes from yesterday. I need some thoughts on them, they scored all over the place. also the pictures are not the best.

THanks

Dace

Hi Dace,

Always hard to tell from a pic and not sure how you scored but here's a quick opinion..

Chicken - the meat looks real good. Sides of box are bare and middle is too full especially in between the top pieces with greens
Pulled Pork - looks very dry and lost in the box. Not enough meat.
Brisket - not enough meat. looks lost in the box
Ribs - hard to tell. looks OK.

How did you score ?

dswfondy
07-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Chicken:

778 677 756 777 776 898

Ribs:

589 889 779 787 648 789

Pork:

677 658 877 866 766 866

Brisket:

965 877 977 878 877 776

Thanks

The pork was very moist, i only added prob. 2 tbl of our sauce just to get a different flavor

Brisket slices are almost an inch thick, brisket temps took off during the early morning so i rested it then put back in smoker, but still got too tender i could of turned it in as pulled brisket.

Our chicken was great tasting. We got bad scores last year at cabelas with it also but didnt forsee lower scores this time

Our ribs last time were on the spicy side we thought for some of the judges so i turned the rub way down. Ended up 6th like last year. Not sure how we got that 4 in tenderness?????

The_Kapn
07-30-2006, 06:57 PM
WTG guys!

Skillfull camera work on Greg there :lol:

TIM

racer_81
07-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey! Those girls are my cousins!

Nice job to all you folks. Sounds like it was a helluva time!

parrothead w/ the girls,

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2006, 12:14 AM
That is farking AWESOME on the ears alignment in that photo! Nicely done!

HoDeDo
07-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Glad someone was looking at the ears..... :shock:

Bellybro
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
What ears? I can't get passed the two gals to look at anything else!

Great job guys and what a picture!

2Fat
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM

THanks

Dace

chicken--7--maybe 8--needs more evenness along the edges with the greens, peices are uneven sized, and the sauce looks blotchy--of course pics don't show it all!

pork--maybe 6--looks dry and just tossed in box without much thought

Brisket--think thats the next pic--suffers from too many greens--put more meat in the box--was your brisket kinda overdone??

in fact the last two pics really don't offer themselves for a good critique!

We only use maybe 6pc of lettuce per box with parsely to fill in the gaps--fill it with meat--assuming you are proud of the product!

Chicken--we do 6 thighs 'cause it works best--trim them to uniform size-- usually have the 6 picked out b4 cooking!!!!
Ribs------hopefully we can get ten good ones off 2 racks(usually spares)
pork------pull a BUNCH--I like turning in slices too--thick ones-
brisket----I trim the meat to fit the box b4 cooking them hopefully can lay 8- 10 slices on top of some big chunks of point!

now I'll read the rest of the messages

nice meeting you for sure!!

2Fat
07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
And anytime you get time to send part of your day with Buzz is just icing on the cake, he's a great guy!
can ya see me blush<bfg>

see you in KC??

Solidkick
07-31-2006, 06:13 PM
can ya see me blush<bfg>

see you in KC??

If you buy the first beer, it's a date! See you at the Royal!

2Fat
07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
If you buy the first beer, it's a date! See you at the Royal!

Brewing now so hopefully will have a few cases to share by then--same spot ast the last feew years--953

see ya

PimpSmoke
07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Got the pics back.

Hey Greg, whats that Randy's passin out???

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-02-24-copy.jpg

Got more if anyone's interested

parrothead
08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Must have been about 10:30. That's ulcer acres tradition. Shots of jack at 10:30 for anybody nearby.

I'd like to see more.

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2006, 08:06 AM

THanks

Dace

Little more meat and a lot less leaf is my initial thought. :wink: I believe in filling the fark outta that box! I try for 7-8 inch wide slices of brisket as an example. Then I put in no less than 8 slices. I am a believer that judges love to see full boxes. I think it comes from the full plate/lots of food fixation we Americans have.

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Brisket:

965 877 977 878 877 776

Dace, you mentioned your brisket slices were almost 1 inch thick... I think therein lies your problem on tenderness scores. They should be right around the thickness of a #2 pencil. Anything cut thicker and the judges (especially CBJ's) can and will assume that it is overcooked and that you HAD to slice it thick to keep the slices from falling apart on you, hence, low tenderness scores. One thing I failed to keep in mind when I got started last year was that tenderness is not just "not tough"... it's also "not mush or fall apart". It's one of those "just right" things (if that makes sense). Now if you DO overcook it, by all means, slice it thick or chop it and present it that way. You might luck out and get some non-CBJ's who score it to their preference. But if you do a great job and nail it, keep it at around 1/4 inch thick. :wink:

Ron_L
08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I'd like to see more.

Me too!

PimpSmoke
08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
At the Parrothead and RonL's request:

The Brethren Big Fella's Team and their visitors (I mean beeyatch's :mrgreen: )

RonL, Pimpsmoke, mrB1984, Ciret and Parrothead

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-10-16-copy.jpg

Sorry bout the pic quality, MrsPimp needs practice

RonL prepping boxes......very intently. I couldn't catch him looking up!!!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-05-21-copy.jpg

mrb1984 and Parrothead checkin' on the chickies

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-04-22-copy.jpg

Finishin dem yardbirds off and good!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-06-20-copy.jpg

Quitcher gripin' and keep cleanin beeyatch!:lol:

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-17-9-copy.jpg

After the last turn in

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/onebbq-copy.jpg

The Colors

http://usera.imagecave.com/XMit/zoobque/750978-R1-12-14-copy.jpg

parrothead
08-01-2006, 08:37 PM
whaty'all think of those 10 by 20 easy ups? Just got them. They rule.

Shade like a mudda fudda. I got them on sale at big R for 153.99 each. Regular price of 239 or something like that.

parrothead
08-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Snagged one of those new fangled portable picnic tables as well. Works like a champ.

StLouQue
08-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Holy schnikeys, Greg! Dude, if was sportin' ears like that... I don't know, man... put a JD girl on each ear or somethin'.

And congratulations to all who competed and otherwise participated. Looks like fun.

Ron_L
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
BTW, if anyone is looking for the info on how I made the Brat-Kebabs, its here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19323).

Just don't use it against us in the next comp! :-D