PDA

View Full Version : Kids Q

midwest_kc
06-21-2013, 07:42 PM
So, the other day, I'm doing a practice brisket for comps, and my 5 year old asks me, "Daddy, when I'm grow up, can I do BBQ contests too?" Talk about making your heart swell with pride!

I told him about Kid's Q's, and now he's excited and wants to do one. I targeted the Blue Springs comp in September as the one to give him his first taste of action. I was looking at the website, and it says that "KCBS contest rules apply." I didn't think that KCBS officially did Kid's Q contests, so what does this mean, exactly?

Also, when it says you can pick any piece of beef or chicken, I'm assuming a nice steak is probably the way to go, is this true? I kinda hope so...that will get me real excited for practice!

Thank you for your help.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-21-2013, 09:33 PM
My 9 year old has done 2. She said her most fun was with her friends from Fire and Spice (great people) Sammy did 2 catagories and Aly did 1. I was soo cool to watch them do it. As far as rules, thats up to the organizers, Garnish/cuts etc change. The 2nd one was beef and desert which is a change up from beef, chicken and anything butt. enjoy the experience, it soo cool to watch the young ones faces!

K-Train
06-22-2013, 09:22 PM
My son is 6 my daughter just turned 4. I'd love it if they wanted to cook with me sometime, or show an interest in it. Pretty cool that your kids are into it

Outnumbered
06-22-2013, 09:29 PM
My kids do them whenever possible. It varies from contest to contest, so I suggest asking the organizer what the rules are ahead of time. Some rules say KCBS garnish rules apply, but I've been to some where that's not necessarily the case. The kids are allowed to put decorations on the boxes and something other than the traditional green leafy veggies in the box.

Some supply the meat, some say what you have to bring and others allow you to use whatever you want. Make sure it's something the kid can cook and not burn up too easily if they get distracted.

midwest_kc
06-23-2013, 02:21 PM
My son is 6 my daughter just turned 4. I'd love it if they wanted to cook with me sometime, or show an interest in it. Pretty cool that your kids are into it

This really came out of left field for me. He's never shown any interest, hell, he hardly eats meat. The most he's ever been at a contest was the Royal last year for a couple hours checking out some of the things going on there, and a contest a couple weeks ago that was done with a fair that we brought him up to play some games and get some cotton candy. He just knows that mom and dad do them, and I guess that's why he wants to, but I'm going to take that ball and run with it!

ITBFQ
06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Pretty awesome! My son is 5 and is going to do his first Kids Q in St. Charles. My only goal for him - have fun. I can't wait for my son to be old enough for him and I to build his first UDS together.