PDA

View Full Version : Question on amount of ribs and brisket for 75

Just Pulin' Pork
06-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Get to cook for a work function for next Thursday. Feeding 75 and I am serving Brisket and Ribs. We will have plenty of sides so whatever is left over employees get to take home. Using a catering spreadsheet someone gave me it is calculating 18.8lbs of uncooked Brisket and 25 slabs of ribs. Does that seem high? Thanks for your feedback.

Jon

kenthanson
06-21-2013, 04:27 PM
10-12 ribs on racks I usually pick up, so 25 racks times 10 is 250 ribs. Let's say for some reason 5 people won't eat the ribs(vegetarians, religious reasons, etc...) that's 250/70, which is 3.5 bones per person and that seems about right. Some will eat more some will eat less, but it's a good average. 18.8 will yield 14-16 pounds cooked(in my experience only), I assume eating them on sandwiches, might be wrong though, 14 pounds with the average sandwich being a third pound makes 42 sandwiches. Just rough numbers from what I have found helpfully to me and take them for what they are worth to you.

va_connoisseur
06-21-2013, 07:34 PM
From my experience cooking for my cigar group and/or Marines I work with, your numbers are about right. If you're concerned, have someone dole,most portions so that someone does not get an entire slab then only eat 4 bones off it

HBMTN
06-21-2013, 08:37 PM
What ever amount of ribs that you cook people will eat those until they are gone and then start on the brisket. If I were doing it I would cook 19 slabs and 40lbs (raw) whole packer briskets and ask everyone to only take 3 bones until everyone had a chance to get a plate.