PDA

View Full Version : Heading to San Antonio Tomorrow

IamMadMan
06-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Flying into San Antonio Tomorrow for my son's military graduation.

Any suggestions for places I should eat during the week?

Chenernator
06-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Drive up to Lockhart. It's only an hour and you can hit three legendary places - Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz Market - in one trip.

palmtreefrb
06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Drive up to Lockhart. It's only an hour and you can hit three legendary places - Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz Market - in one trip.
Lackland?, thank him for serving.
Yep, agreed. Lockhart for the above or Luling City Market. Note: Warning, only Blacks is open on Sundays.

caseydog
06-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Get some good Mexican and/or TexMex while you are in San Antonio, too.

CD

IamMadMan
06-24-2013, 07:33 PM

We were unable to go outside the I-410 loop, so choices were minimal. I tried a couple places I found on the GPS, but they were all commercially prepared and lacking flavor.

Lackland?, thank him for serving.
Yep, agreed. Lockhart for the above or Luling City Market. Note: Warning, only Blacks is open on Sundays.

"Palmtreefrb" Thank you for recognizing my son for his commitment to serve...

The odd part for me visiting Lackland AFB were the changes.. 40 years ago to the week was my graduation ceremony. Talk about deja vu....

He wasn't allowed outside the I-410 loop so we tried "The Smoke Shack" and we met Brian. His brisket was outstanding as we went back for seconds.

I also made a BBQ Sauce run at H.E.B.... Found Blues Hog for $2.99 a jar, got some Franklin's Own, Salt Lick, and some Head Country BBQ Sauces. Just something to try for some flavor ideas...

Get some good Mexican and/or TexMex while you are in San Antonio, too.

CD

We found a lot of Tex-Mex, but we avoided the large chains, we picked a couple small clean restaurants and were thrilled with the food and the service. His last night we took him to Uncle Barney's Steak House and made him eat a 20 oz Porterhouse. I had a great time and the local people were very friendly. I just have nothing nice to say about American Airlines.......

IamMadMan
07-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I also made a BBQ Sauce run at H.E.B.... Found Blues Hog for $2.99 a jar, got some Franklin's Own, Salt Lick, and some Head Country BBQ Sauces. Just something to try for some flavor ideas...

It's been 2 weeks and my package of BBQ sauces never arrived. Tracking info shows it leaving San Antonio sort facility. No other data available.

I guess the Postal Workers needed BBQ Sauce. I should have insured it..

yakdung
07-01-2013, 11:31 PM
I always eat here when I visit San Antonio:
http://www.mitierracafe.com/about_history.html

IamMadMan
07-02-2013, 08:08 AM
I always eat here when I visit San Antonio:
http://www.mitierracafe.com/about_history.html

Thanks, I'll try Mi Terra on my next trip...