PDA

View Full Version : Thermapen vs. New CDN ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer

Stark-O-Rama
06-18-2013, 10:46 PM
So,

I went cheap, and bought the CDN ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer, that's a direct competitor of the Thermapen. I was a bit afraid of the posts I've seen about Thermapens breaking quickly. The CDN has a 5 year warranty.

My CDN lasted 1 competition, and then broke.

SO - is there anyone out there that has used both? Recommendations, thoughts, advice, ideas?

It's very frustrating to lose your Thermometer at a comp in the heat of the battle......

landarc
06-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Did CDN honor the warranty? I can tell you that Thermapens generally last more than one competition or cook. They are a professional grade tool, used by many day-to-day chefs.

IamMadMan
06-18-2013, 10:52 PM
So,

I went cheap, and bought the CDN ProAccurate Folding Thermocouple Thermometer, that's a direct competitor of the Thermapen. I was a bit afraid of the posts I've seen about Thermapens breaking quickly. The CDN has a 5 year warranty.

SO - is there anyone out there that has used both? Recommendations, thoughts, advice, ideas?

It's very frustrating to lose your Thermometer at a comp in the heat of the battle......

I have only used the thermopen..... I have used it for 5 years with no problems ever.

Look at the bright side.... Your CDN . It's under warranty! LOL

Sad that it died during your comp when you needed it most.....

Ackman
06-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I have a few Thermopens. My oldest one, about 3/4 years old I think, has died twice but you send it back and I for a flat fee of $15 I think it is - they fix it and return it.

Alexa RnQ
06-19-2013, 11:39 AM
We've only had one Thermapen die, but that was after YEARS of consistent use.

We do keep a smaller probe thermometer in the toolkit just in the remote case it's needed, but we're fans of backup; it's never been used.

deguerre
06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Have had my Thermapen for a year and a half with no problems. Got the silicone boot for it which has come in handy because it's been dropped several times.

landarc
06-19-2013, 12:04 PM
I do use the old instant read dial thermometer a lot still, the one that you see many chef's carry in their pocket. No batteries, no circuits, take a dunking, old reliable. Also can be used very easily with one hand.

Sure, it is not as fast or accurate as a Thermapen, but, it still is handy.

Porcine Perfection
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
You are making all that scratch off of disposable cutting boards so live a little and get a Thermapen. The Packer Green one is the fastest and don't let anyone convince you otherwise! :thumb:

Atlasman
06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
My wife washed my Thermapen in a tub of water thinking it was something else :oops:

Still works like a champ. Great product!

Stark-O-Rama
06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I sent it off to CDN last week, not sure if they're going to fix it - I'll let you know. In all fairness, it was my teammate that broke it. So I'm not really sure what happened.

Stark-O-Rama
06-28-2013, 12:43 AM
Happy to report - CDN sent me a brand new thermometer. Customer service was great.

jmoney7269
07-01-2013, 06:46 AM
So,

looks like you answered your question. in most cases, you get what you pay for. got me a red one and love it. use it a few times a week at home now also not just in comps. perfectly cooked pork and chicken. never dry.