PDA

View Full Version : Any Jedi wisdom from the brethren for our first comp?

2 Bones BBQ
06-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Jumping into the deep end for the first time at Firin up the Fox July 4th weekend. I'm excited, nervous and looking not to make a disaster of it. Any words?
Thanks,
Tony

Ron_L
06-16-2013, 01:30 PM
First, have fun :-D

Second, set an achievable goal, like getting everything turned in on time and not finishing DAL :-D

Third, Talk to your neighbors at the competition. Most teams are more than willing to help a new team.

Have you done a complete practice session? You really should set up on your driveway or in the backyard exactly as you are going to at the comp and do a full cook with the same "turn-in" times as the comp. Keep track of everything that you have to run back into the house to get and make sure that those items are on your checklist for packing.

Porcine Perfection
06-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I will be doing my first comp Friday and will post back here what my mistakes are (and I am sure there will be many) so hopefully you won't make them.

Brauma
06-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Three words of advice:

Practice Practice Practice.

Practice on the pit you will be using. Make notes of times, temps. What time will your big meats go on? What approx temp will they be at 6AM? When will you start prepping ribs? When will ribs go on? Same with chicken. All these questions, you will need to know before the comp, not during.

Practice boxes. What will they look like? Have the finished box detailed in your mind before you start building it at the comp.

Hope this helps.

K-Train
06-16-2013, 02:49 PM
take good notes on everything. also be moderate with adult beverage consumption

secondcityswine
06-16-2013, 03:10 PM
We just started up a couple of years ago. Like Ron says, definitely a complete practice session will help before the first competition - helps both on timing, and for what you'll need to bring with you. We'll be at Firin Up the Fox this year too - feel free to stop by and chat.

MattG
06-16-2013, 04:04 PM
If KCBS pretrim everything before you arrive. You can't preseason but you can pretrim. This will take some stress off of you and give you time to make new friends.

Ford
06-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Stay sober. Drink Gatorade.

Stark-O-Rama
06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
1. Bring Q-Tips for when you're boxing and your sauce ends up in weird places on the box. Our first comps we tried to wipe with a paper towel, and just made it worse. Q-Tips are great for the fine clean-up in the box.

2. As others have said, don't drink too much.

3. Enjoy it, and go in with low expectations of how you'll place.

4. Don't change anything. Do everything exactly like you've practiced. This will give you a great benchmark.

5. Ask questions, fellow competitors are awesome, and always willing to help. It's a great culture.

Good luck! You'll be hooked!

bbqbull
06-16-2013, 04:54 PM
I agree with ^^^^^^^^ tips.
Take notes on your test run in your driveway. If you forgot anything write it down so you have everything when you hit the comp. Some folks will loan you something and some refuse because they cannot spare it.
Most comp cooks are friendly as can be. Some not!

Theresa B
06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Organization, organization, organization....and all of the tips above. Plan your work and work your plan.

buttburnersbbq
06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Congrats on entering our first comp. Many things will go through your head . Make sure you have fun. Make sure you practice before to get all time lines down for all meat categories . Our first comp was a blast and also nervous. After meeting several teams and getting to know them. Everyone in comps are friendly and great guys to talk to . After every comp you will leave with a new piece of knowledge and to use on the next comp. You will get hooked after your first comp.

J&B'sBBQ
06-16-2013, 09:36 PM
First, have fun :-D

Second, set an achievable goal, like getting everything turned in on time and not finishing DAL :-D

Third, Talk to your neighbors at the competition. Most teams are more than willing to help a new team.

Have you done a complete practice session? You really should set up on your driveway or in the backyard exactly as you are going to at the comp and do a full cook with the same "turn-in" times as the comp. Keep track of everything that you have to run back into the house to get and make sure that those items are on your checklist for packing.

Agree with all of the above!!! We did our first competition this spring and just take it with a grain of salt and realize that there is a lot to learn in your first rodeo. Take this as a learning experience to apply to the subsequent competitions.

Good luck!!!