PDA

View Full Version : The decision is made!

Bigmista
03-06-2006, 12:04 AM
My team and I sat down and divided up the duties and I am cooking the brisket for our team. I need all the help I can get. I want to put out the best tasting product possible. Any suggestions?

Sawdustguy
03-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I am not the most experienced competition cook here so I will leave the particulars up to the experienced guys but my suggestion to you as a new team is to have fun. If you do the best you can and enjoy yourself the rest will follow with experience and practice.

Bigmista
03-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanx sawdust! I am looking forward to this and I plan to have a lot of fun!

My goal? Don't come in last!!

Sawdustguy
03-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Excellent goal to have. We felt the same way at our first contest. We just didn't want to come in last. It takes the pressure off. We were the most surprised to find out we had a 6th in brisket and 9th in chicken. I am sure the same will happen for you too. Just remember if two fat Polocks can do it, you can do it too. Enjoy yourself, smile and best of luck to you.

spicewine
03-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Good job Mista!! After your first one, everything will fall into place!!

Spice

The_Kapn
03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Neil,

All of this is just my opinion--other's are welcome to their own and I will respect them.

I assume this is KCBS. If so, the scoring is weighted heavily for flavor.
So, it is logical to pay close attention to flavor.
Many cooks inject--but, your decision there.
It does add flavor and moisture throughout the meat.
Obviously, the rub adds it's layer of flavor as does sauce if you use them.

The best advice I have received is to stay in "moderation" on flavors and not let them overpower the meat with sweetness or heat.

What cooker are you using?
Will you have time to test cook on it if it is not yours?
Texture is the part that normally requires the most practice to get "close to right".

Needless to say--"Choice" graded meat is a great place to start, not that others will not work if cooked correctly.

Good luck and keep us posted.

TIM

butt head
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
i've been trying something different. i marinate my brisket in buffalo wing sauce then add rub about an hour before cooking. this has turned out great. the heat from the buffalo sauce is very suttle and keeps it moist.

jgh1204
03-06-2006, 07:15 PM
My 2cents, try to find CAB brisket(s). Cook more than 1. I did 3 for my first comp.

Follow any advice Tim gives you.

Bigmista
03-06-2006, 07:59 PM
We will 2 WSM's, 2 other bullet smokers, Chargriller and a Kettle. The briskets will probably be done in the WSM's because they will maintain temps the longest and we might be able to get a little sleep Friday night.

This is a KCBS contest.

I am going to cook a brisket starting tuesday night and then we are going to have a "team" dry run on March 18th so we can taste each other's food, make suggestions, practice turn-in boxes and make sure we are organized.

Butcher's are few and far between here in Southern Cali. For whole packers it's the grocery store or the warehouse stores like Costco or Smart & Final. Wouldn't know where to find a CAB brisket or what it would even look like.

spicewine
03-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Plan your Brisket to get done about 2 hours early. You can cooler it and then finish it later. It will take the pressure off if you get a stalled brisket.

Your sauce is fine, but don't make it any hotter . Keep it middle of the road to please everyone.

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
03-06-2006, 08:16 PM
For whole packers it's the grocery store or the warehouse stores like Costco or Smart & Final.

"Smart & Final" is a store??? That's a new one for me. Sounds like a place that would tell you in a smart aleck tone "Sorry, all sales are final." when you tried to return something. :lol:

I believe Brother Rod (Pellet Envy) has some experience cooking some pretty awesome brisket from what I've been told. Haven't tasted his yet so I can't say firsthand but he finished 15th in team of the year standings in brisket.

Pigs on The Run
03-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Brisket is far the hardest to cook. First find out what you want to cook Flat vs full. then i would probally inject. Use a needle with holes on the side. inject going out evenly. i use fab b with peach snapple. then i would suggest for a first timer to use a dizzy pig rub . I normally apply a mustard slather very thin , some use miracle whip. cook at 225 for 1.5 hour per pound. wrap at 160 degrees loosly with foil. one important thing is to catch the juices you can use them later. pull at 180 or so then place in a foil pan and a cooler. take it out and let it rest about an half hour before turn in. if you plan to use a full brisket it is important to cut all the hard fat off. at the begining esp. the stuff between the point and flat. if using a full, cut right in the midlle and check for taste and tenderness. also cut your slices evenly and place it in the box. some like to cut up the point and show off some of the point. also I know that some teams like to dipslices in apple juice and some meat dripping with a little sauce . good luck
john

jgh1204
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Mista, find a meat supplier to restaurants. That is where I found mine. Or look for a grocery store featuring Certified Angus Beef and see if they can order it.

I dont know about SoCal, but right now, CAB at the supplier is cheaper than the store.

And since it is KCBS, make sure you have plenty of green leaf lettuce for the garnish.

icemn62
03-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Vons should be able to special order the brisket for you. Cook more than 1 and choose the best fro turnin. Remember yu are shooting for middle of the road not to hot, not to bland.

BobberQer
03-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Hey Big Mista... Have tried calling Harris Ranch to see where, and if they sell CAB Briskets in the LA area ?? might be worth a try .. I know there was great butcher shop over in Pasadena off Hill Ave, on Orange.. the guy had really good meats.. not sure if he's still there .. I'll try and find the name for you ..

ThomEmery
03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
We will 2 WSM's, 2 other bullet smokers, Chargriller and a Kettle. The briskets will probably be done in the WSM's because they will maintain temps the longest and we might be able to get a little sleep Friday night.

This is a KCBS contest.

I am going to cook a brisket starting tuesday night and then we are going to have a "team" dry run on March 18th so we can taste each other's food, make suggestions, practice turn-in boxes and make sure we are organized.

Butcher's are few and far between here in Southern Cali. For whole packers it's the grocery store or the warehouse stores like Costco or Smart & Final. Wouldn't know where to find a CAB brisket or what it would even look like.

Check out Resturant Depo 3 or 4 in So Cal great quality and fair prices

arlieque
03-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Well you are in so start practicing! Will see you soon in California. I will be back there on the 5th of April.

Thanks, Arlie

Bigmista
03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Well you are in so start practicing! Will see you soon in California. I will be back there on the 5th of April.

Thanks, Arlie

Great!!! We have got to go have a beer or two when you get to town. Let me know!

Bigmista