PDA

View Full Version : Question about adding moisture to ribs

jcpetro97
06-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Something I have been wondering about tenderness scores on ribs... As a cook, where would you start tweaking things to get more moisture in your ribs.. ( btw, my assumption is using spares here )

I am asking this, not because I got bad scores, but more for curiosity/tinkering... For example, I cook my ribs 3hrs smoke, about an hour in foil, then back out of the foil, on the smoker until they pass the bend test... If I didn't get decent scores in tenderness using that method, what should I be looking at to try and get more tenderness/moisture into the ribs.

Ron_L
06-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Were the ribs too tender or not tender enough?

jcpetro97
06-10-2013, 11:52 AM
when we were talking about it, we were going under the assumption of not tender enough, so dry...

Sawdustguy
06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Adding a liquid or butter when wrapping seems to help.

Ron_L
06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Not tender enough means they weren't cooked long enough.

jcpetro97
06-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Ron, where would you add the time, in foil, or in the time after the foil. I was thinking the later, would that be correct thinking?

Ron_L
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
You could do either. If they are close to perfect then add at the end. If they are farther off then add in the foil.

jcpetro97
06-10-2013, 12:40 PM
makes sense. Sometimes when I am cooking mine, I get almost a false sense of doneness when bringing them out of the foil, because they are on the fragile side, from being in the applejuice, so I know personally, I am always leery of that. Thanks for the advice.. I planned on experimenting with some tweaks to my process this summer, and that will help from a troubleshooting perspective...