View Full Version : Beer Lovers

03-04-2006, 09:00 AM

03-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Nice idea and a great beneficiary of the event but at $45 a ticket for 4 hours of drinking beer, I don't think I will be attending. I will just make more of my own brew.

03-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I have never made my own. I would actually like to make my own vodka

03-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Having been to other events at the Huntington Hilton I feel that their facilities are to small for this event if it is advertised at all.

My guess is that you would be shoulder to shoulder and barely able to move.

If I wanted to go with some friends, I would probably opt to suggest pooling our money and buying a hunded different types of beer to try, and sitting down with a ball game on the tube. Hmmmm ...

03-04-2006, 10:34 PM
$45 a ticket for 4 hours of drinking beer

I can drink more than $45 worth of beer in 4 hours. No problem.

03-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Rob, you know I am a lightweight. Actually I stopped drinking before last Thanksgiving. I figured I would dry out a bit before my Germany trip. At the Bash, Steve were the only two drinking Coke. Now I just enjoying brewing at home and pawning it off on the neighbors. Hey, what can I say, they will drink anything.

03-04-2006, 11:31 PM
If RBSNWNGS finds out about this I feel sorry for the folks that get there after him.......

03-04-2006, 11:44 PM
I have never made my own. I would actually like to make my own vodka

Although not legal in the US, I know a couple of guys who make their hooch. Small stills are not difficult to make. Check out this Austrailian site if you are interested. There is a pretty stong lobby to change the laws so that home distillers enjoy the same legalities that home brewers do.

03-05-2006, 08:37 AM
$45... I could have 20 beers at Coopersmiths in East Islip, or the Viking in Islip, during Happy Hour... heck with the dogs !!!

03-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I just took a look/see at the beer list and I am overwhelmed. The room's starting to look like a bargain at $129.00 a night!

03-07-2006, 08:04 AM
$45... I could have 20 beers at Coopersmiths in East Islip, or the Viking in Islip, during Happy Hour... heck with the dogs !!!
I could drink for days at the Viking for that kind of money

05-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Hmmm, maybe I should become an event planner.

Back in March I said the the Huntington Hilton was too samall for an event like the Beer Festival.

I don't understand how the hotel or the organizer couldn't figure this one out.

It seems the fire marshall agreed, and shut it down.

From Today's Newsday:

Buzz about beer rises, although festival goes flat

The silver lining to the cloud that marred the recent Long Island Beer Festival, Stuart Haimes noted, is the proof there's significant interest in fine food to fine beer.

But Haimes wasn't willing to commit to a second attempt, at least not until the legal situation from the first gets ironed out.

Haimes, owner of Shoreline Beverage in Huntington, began planning the festival last August, an effort, he said, to "create a greater awareness of fine beers equal to that of wine, where you pair it with food. ... Everyone considers a good wine with their meal. They don't consider a good beer as an equal or fair alternative in enjoying their meal."

Haimes lined up sponsors, restaurants and breweries, as well as a charity, the North Shore Animal League. He picked a venue, the Hilton Long Island in Melville, that he believed was large enough and sold 2,000 tickets at $45 a pop.

When Haimes opened the doors at 6 p.m. May 12, he realized the space wasn't sufficient for the crowd, which included the ticket holders and about 500 people trying to pay at the door. "We let in as many people as we could, and we had to turn the rest away," he said. Things got worse when the fire marshal showed up. The event shut down at 8:45, 75 minutes earlier than planned, but not before summonses were issued both to the festival and the hotel.

"It was overcrowded and needed to be shut down," said Gerry Hughes, who is the hotel's general manager. "It was a difficult night ... but no one got hurt."

Which leaves the lawyers to figure out who is responsible for what and Haimes to deal with requests for refunds (he declined to give details about the process).

But he still found some pluses: "All of the suppliers of beer at this event had nothing but positive things to say about it. ... A lot of positive things came out of this."

And if there's a second annual festival? "It'll be somewhere else, that's for sure."