PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham-Huntsville-Memphis

dwfisk
06-07-2013, 08:08 PM
My wife's business trip
6/23 Birmingham
6/24 Huntsville
6/25-27 Memphis
Recommendations for eats please, not necessaryily BBQ.
Also, are there any good BBQ "hardware" stores?

gtr
06-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Gus' Fried Chicken on Front St. in Memphis. Just ate there last week. Fanfarkingtastic - and the pecan pie is amazing. Just go - I guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Gore
06-08-2013, 10:01 AM
I quite enjoyed Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur. I think trying the white sauce is a must. I appreciated them all, even the ones I didn't like, I appreciated that they were balanced and well-made:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1958027&postcount=27

OutlawSwine
06-09-2013, 11:51 AM
In Birmingham (if she wants BBQ) there is a shack called Saw's BBQ that is really good. It's a hole in the wall, but there is ALWAYS a line.

I live and work in and around B'ham. Let me know what kind of food she wants and I will hook you up. Birmingham has really become a "foodie" city. LOTS of good choices here.

If you want higher end then Hot and Hot Fish Club is an absolute must. Chris Hastings is the chef and is a James Beard winner and was voted Best Chef in the South.

Other choices are Cafe Dupont, 26, Ocean, Flemings Steakhouse. Really depends on what side of town she will be staying on and the price range she will want to stay in.

Also, if she likes to have a beer then she needs to head down to "brewers alley". We have 10 breweries in town and they all have good food, good beer and good atmosphere. Highly suggest Good People Brewery, plus it's next door to our new baseball stadium so it's great to catch a Barons game and then have a few beers afterwards.

dwfisk
06-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Wow, that sounds like some great options, to bad we (I'm making this trip with her) are only in Birmingham Sunday night. I'm thinking we may have BBQ on Monday (maybe Big Bob Gibson's) on the way to Huntsville Monday evening and at least one more night in Memphis so one of the other places might work. When its a little closer and we can narrow down what we want I'll PM you if that's OK.
In Birmingham (if she wants BBQ) there is a shack called Saw's BBQ that is really good. It's a hole in the wall, but there is ALWAYS a line.

I live and work in and around B'ham. Let me know what kind of food she wants and I will hook you up. Birmingham has really become a "foodie" city. LOTS of good choices here.

If you want higher end then Hot and Hot Fish Club is an absolute must. Chris Hastings is the chef and is a James Beard winner and was voted Best Chef in the South.

Other choices are Cafe Dupont, 26, Ocean, Flemings Steakhouse. Really depends on what side of town she will be staying on and the price range she will want to stay in.

Also, if she likes to have a beer then she needs to head down to "brewers alley". We have 10 breweries in town and they all have good food, good beer and good atmosphere. Highly suggest Good People Brewery, plus it's next door to our new baseball stadium so it's great to catch a Barons game and then have a few beers afterwards.

deguerre
06-09-2013, 12:38 PM
El Palmar Mexican restaurant, good, on Summer Ave. Taquiera La Guadalupana (Several locations) is good too. Down home authentic Mexican quisine. Huey's on Madison for burgers! Cozy Corner on N. Parkway for cornish Hen (BBQ Bologna sammich is right good too...) I second Gus's. For a good prime steak house, Folk's Folly ain't too shabby. Expensive though. Erika's German Restaurant is pretty good too. Not far from Gus's. Casablanca Restaurant has purty good Mediterranean food.

OutlawSwine
06-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Wow, that sounds like some great options, to bad we (I'm making this trip with her) are only in Birmingham Sunday night. I'm thinking we may have BBQ on Monday (maybe Big Bob Gibson's) on the way to Huntsville Monday evening and at least one more night in Memphis so one of the other places might work. When its a little closer and we can narrow down what we want I'll PM you if that's OK.

Absolutely. Just send me a PM!

Gore
06-09-2013, 07:57 PM
El Palmar Mexican restaurant, good, on Summer Ave. Taquiera La Guadalupana (Several locations) is good too. Down home authentic Mexican quisine. Huey's on Madison for burgers! Cozy Corner on N. Parkway for cornish Hen (BBQ Bologna sammich is right good too...) I second Gus's. For a good prime steak house, Folk's Folly ain't too shabby. Expensive though. Erika's German Restaurant is pretty good too. Not far from Gus's. Casablanca Restaurant has purty good Mediterranean food.

I did quite enjoy Cozy Corner. I had a huge plate and sampled everything with two friends who had already eaten. My one friend just mentioned this to me about a week ago, and how much better it was than Rendezvous.

xbullyx
06-16-2013, 11:20 PM
Johnnys BBQ in Cullman ( between birmingham and Huntsville ) has unreal bbq sauce.. try the stuffed bbq potatoe if you have time