View Full Version : Going to a festival in Greenwood, SC

06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
The event is called "Festival of Discovery". It runs July 11-13th. It features Blues and BBQ.

Has anyone gone to this event? Any suggestions? Places to stay? Nice bread and breakfast destinations? Places to park? Other destinations to explore? Beaches to visit?

Aside from the festival I also want to tour some local barbecue destinations. I've heard great reviews about Melvin's, Scott's Barbecue, Hite's and Wise's. Anyone else I should consider? The event is in Greenwood SC so if anyone knows of a local BBQ place they could recommend please let me know. I also want to eat some hash!

Thanks in advance!

06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Well, there ain't no beaches near Greenwood. Closest beach is about 3 1/2 to four hours away. Go to Scott's BBQ. You won't be disappointed.

We're thinking about going up there for the KCBS competition. Someone from up that way will chime in for more details.

06-06-2013, 11:31 AM
We intent to drive out to the beach. I would love to camp out at Myrtle Beach Park. May do that after the festival. Anyone been?

I will definitely go to Scott's. Thanks for the reply.

06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
MB State Park is usually very busy this time of year. They do not take reservations, either. You can go but don't be disappointed if there is nothing available. Have a back-up plan.

06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for that. I was just on their web site. I am going to try to camp during the week day and avoid the week end as this is when they are busiest. What other camp sites would you recommend?

06-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Ocean Lakes, Lakewood, Pirate Land. Those are all pretty decent and family oriented.

You can make a reservation at those.

06-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Thank you sir!

06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
If you wanted to try some SC mustard base BBQ you could head down to Columbia and go to Maurice's BBQ (i may have spelled it wrong) its good for what it is

Columbia also has a historical museum, which is pretty neat.

06-06-2013, 06:55 PM
I love mustard based sauces. I hear the owners of Melvin's and Maurice's are brothers.

06-06-2013, 08:53 PM
They are brothers, and from what I understand, they don't get along very well.

06-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Melvin passed away a couple of months ago. His restaurants are still going strong.

Their other brother, Thomas, owns one on Savannah Hwy. in West Ashley.