PDA

View Full Version : Which is worse

Pelkster
06-05-2013, 01:53 PM
A) Losing a GC by .0001 pts
B) Losing a GC by tie breaker

I'd hate to lose a GC by a coin flip. Nothing worse than having your fate decided by the flip of a coin.

SOB
06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Losing a tiebreaker would be awful!

BBQBeaver
06-05-2013, 02:00 PM

I'd hate to lose a GC by a coin flip. Nothing worse than having your fate decided by the flip of a coin.

Keith, 2 weeks ago in Ottawa we had a two way tie with two teams having the exact same amount of points. They then had to go to individual entry scores to determine final GC.

The difference between winning GC and RGC at this event was $2,000 and a ticket to WFC in Las Vegas.! (GC won $4,000, RGC won $2,000) ... ouch.

Rub
06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
The Florida BBQ Association recognizes ties...add the winnings and divide by 2. Fairest in my book. So for me I'd hate to lose by .0001, which I have done btw.

Untraceable
06-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Id rather lose by .0001

We've both benefited from tiebreakers and been hurt. Id rather lose by .0001

Pelkster
06-05-2013, 02:30 PM
The other thing with losing a GC by tie breaker is either an automatic entry into the Jack or getting a bung entry. The money part is easy to rectify.

I aksed this question because I was thinking which would be worse. At first I said that losing by .0001 would by far worse because you were RIGHT there, but then looking at the tie breaker, that would hurt a lot more because of the other benefits of winning.

Pig Headed
06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Not to be a thread buster, but the worst thing is to score a 180 in a category and lose a tie breaker. That's just wrong. (Not that I ever got close to a 180 score)

INmitch
06-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Not to be a thread buster, but the worst thing is to score a 180 in a category and lose a tie breaker. That's just wrong. (Not that I ever got close to a 180 score)
I've been on both sides of that. Luckily I was on the winning side at a high $ comp.

Fatback Joe
06-05-2013, 02:53 PM
At least reserve still pays money. I got 3rd and missed reserve by .0003 if I remember correctly. Reserve paid $1500 and 3rd got nothing. :mmph:

Podge
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
being .0002 points from reserve.. don't get a dime.. at least tied for GC you at least get RGC money

Lake Dogs
06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I've lost GC by .0001, and been 3rd overall by .0003. Both, very disappointing. However, worse to me is the coin flip. I've tied more than I care to think about and I've lost most of the tie breakers (that's been my luck; lack of luck). I do like the FBA approach; just split the money... The problem is trophies... There are a few reasons why I prefer comparative scoring (like in MBN and GBA), and this is a major key piece of it...

Muzzlebrake
06-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Never been in either scenario but I've been competing at something my entire life. I don't mind losing as long as I'm in the game. I HATE getting blown out, whether its my fault or not.

Lake Dogs
06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Never been in either scenario but I've been competing at something my entire life. I don't mind losing as long as I'm in the game. I HATE getting blown out, whether its my fault or not.

Cooking, I'd rather have a bad outing and have my *** kicked than tie for first place and lose the tie breaker...

Big Country BBQ
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
losing by a coin toss

SOB
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Would suck losing a coin toss tiebreaker and only have 6 GCs on the year and not qualify for the Jack. Since that 7th would auto bid you into the Jack.
!!! Now that would suck!!!

Well the 6 other GCs would be nice.

hogzillas
06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I was in a backyard contest where I got 5th & 7th in the meats but 3rd overall yet the G/RG only got a high score in one of the meats each so I ended up w/ nothing not even a trophy as they only gave awards to top 3 in each meat & G/RG.

mobow
06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I would not like losing by a coin toss. Keith

Smoke'n Ice
06-05-2013, 06:57 PM
At the first Heatin' up the Bay, Madalay Bay in Las Vegas, 2 teams had a 180 in chicken, coin toss. Two teams tied for GC, coin toss. The same team lost both coin toss to the same team and lost 12k in money. Stuff happens according to the loser.

Muzzlebrake
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Cooking, I'd rather have a bad outing and have my *** kicked than tie for first place and lose the tie breaker...

Yeah see that "bad outing" drives me crazy. If its my fault, I'm pissed that after all this time I did something stupid and if its one of those I do everything right and the judges hate my stuff, it drives me nuts.

Like I said never won or lost a contest like that but I have more than once lost a category to both. Neither bothered me as much as tanking one.

TheJackal
06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I'd rather lose by the coin toss. I've been there where 3 categories score 1, 5, 8 or 2, 6, 11. And you lose by a small margin because of one category (never lost by .0001 though!) I'd rather take RGC knowing I scored as well as the other team rather than doing the "what if" game.

big matt
06-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Great question..we had 7 RGC's and lost the 7th by .0004..at the same contest a year later we finished 3rd and lost RGC by.001..ironically it was at a horse racing track..luckily they were paying the top 5 overall the 2nd time and we won a side bet on pork which kinda evened them out and they ended up paying almost the same..but either way it sucks to get so close to GC and not get it..but that's just comp BBQ for ya!

TheJackal
06-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Great question..we had 7 RGC's and lost the 7th by .0004..at the same contest a year later we finished 3rd and lost RGC by.001..ironically it was at a horse racing track..luckily they were paying the top 5 overall the 2nd time and we won a side bet on pork which kinda evened them out and they ended up paying almost the same..but either way it sucks to get so close to GC and not get it..but that's just comp BBQ for ya!

Impressive results. Any chance you guys will be in Santa Clara in a few weeks?

jmoney7269
06-06-2013, 08:34 AM

Whoever scores the highest in brisket should be the tie breaker at the end.
So I'm going with a flip of the coin as the worst. I would be some mad if that happened to us! :mad2:

big matt
06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Impressive results. Any chance you guys will be in Santa Clara in a few weeks?

It's very possible but still in up in the air..we've got two back to back right before that one..but I'd still like to get up north at least once this year.

jmoney7269
06-06-2013, 09:27 AM
At the first Heatin' up the Bay, Madalay Bay in Las Vegas, 2 teams had a 180 in chicken, coin toss. Two teams tied for GC, coin toss. The same team lost both coin toss to the same team and lost 12k in money. Stuff happens according to the loser.

Ya see that's just stupid! You don't coin toss for a winner of chicken, you use another category as the tie breaker. That farkin pisses me off. Grand champion tie should also be decided by the brisket as a tie breaker. Thank got we don't have to worry about common sense in cookoffs down here, but common sense seems not so common in that type of Cookoff setting/sanction.

Lake Dogs
06-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Yeah see that "bad outing" drives me crazy. If its my fault, I'm pissed that after all this time I did something stupid and if its one of those I do everything right and the judges hate my stuff, it drives me nuts.

Like I said never won or lost a contest like that but I have more than once lost a category to both. Neither bothered me as much as tanking one.

Completely understand. I've tanked a category here or there, and that is frustrating. I had one competition where every category tanked, and the pisser was, with one exception, everything ware ROCKIN' to the last minutes.
Chicken, beautiful and hot because they came off right at the last moment, but the skin wasn't bite-through; TANK. Brisket, wonderful look at taste, but was almost falling apart; put it out a bit on the cold side so it would hold together better; TANK (but our best performer of the day). Pork, AWESOME, but we pulled it early and by the time it was in the clamshell it was darn near chilled; TANK. And ribs, cooked to perfection, absolute heaven on earth, went out hot and beautiful. OOOPS - apparently the meat on those ribs had gone bad. In the rush we didnt taste them, and they were skunky... TANK. Was trying a new meat vendor for ribs; haven't been back... All in the same contest. We'd RGC'd that contest the year before, and had high hopes in this outing; not to be.

Yes, I was very disappointed, but still, worse to me are those where you do everything right and tie at the top, and the tie-breaker is put into play. For this reason, I really prefer the comparative judging. At least this way you know the judges preferred yours (or the others), vs. random ****.

TheJackal
06-06-2013, 09:49 AM
It's very possible but still in up in the air..we've got two back to back right before that one..but I'd still like to get up north at least once this year.

Cool. Hope to see you guys there. I mentioned I was heading out west to Dan and Chris from 3 Eyz and they said you guys were a lot of fun to hang out with.

big matt
06-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Cool. Hope to see you guys there. I mentioned I was heading out west to Dan and Chris from 3 Eyz and they said you guys were a lot of fun to hang out with.

Great guys!..and they love that patron just like us!

MSO
06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I would think losing by .0001 would be worst, only for the simple fact is that you would still have 50/50 chance of winning GC. Not that I have been in that position, but working on it.

rookiedad
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
the real question here is would you rather lose by .0001 due to wind or rain? :wink: sorry... carry on!

dcoyle4040
06-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I lost in pork last year to a coin toss. I can at least walk around knowing I also had a 1st place score!

Muzzlebrake
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Ask Matt to take you out for Dim Sum

Hot Wachulas
06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I got my Jack draw this year from a coin toss. Hope I didnt use up all my luck already.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
If I ever get involved with a coin toss I would speak with the other team and say listen no matter who wins the coin toss lets split the money 50-50

Muzzlebrake
06-06-2013, 06:36 PM
If I ever get involved with a coin toss I would speak with the other team and say listen no matter who wins the coin toss lets split the money 50-50

You'll never know until its all over and you get your score sheets...

Alexa RnQ
06-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Determining which is the worst way of losing is simply a matter of to what degree one was bent before taking it in the shorts.

Coz
06-06-2013, 09:34 PM
My worst loss was a contest where we won 2 catagories. 4 th in another and sitting there knowing that our 4th category was really bad and possibly DAL.Altho we did make the gas money bettin against ourselves for GC