PDA

View Full Version : Peoples Choice Ribs?

Granny's Gang Barbeque
06-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Howdy Folks,
I've got an upcoming competition that is going to feature a "Peoples Choice Ribs" category. I've done Peoples Choice Wings before, not a problem. I've done Peoples Choice Pulled Pork, once again not a problem. Peoples Choice Ribs... Problem!
Cooking ribs for a BBQ Judge, we do that all the time. We know the tenderness criteria.
However cooking Ribs for the General Public, I don't know. Thanks to places like Chile's and TG Fridays, most people expect ribs that "Fall off the bone." (I feel dirty just typing it.) So my question is this: Knowing that the ribs are going to the "General Public" and NOT a BBQ Judge. Would you recommend slightly overcooking the ribs to give people the "Fall off the bone" that they will be expecting?

Thanks for you feedback,
Granny's Gang Barbequ

MikeJ65
06-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes.

Hawg Father of Seoul
06-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes, or lose to teams that do.

Goddahavit
06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
umm who are you cooking for?

cook for your judges whomever they may be.

Public and me overcook them...

Harmony BBQ
06-03-2013, 10:34 AM
I agree, we over cook them. Put alot of sauce on them too. People's choice = sauce contest.

Sawdustguy
06-03-2013, 10:58 AM
You would be foolish not to overcook them.

Lake Dogs
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
+1 said above. Sanctioned cooks; cook to the sanctioning bodies' standard. FYI: across them, there are many differing standards; KCBS is certainly one of them...

I'd have it perfectly tender and right to the point of falling off the bone, but not. That's very similar to MBN's "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance" definition, by the way...

boogiesnap
06-03-2013, 01:01 PM
overcook them. but not to the point where they can't be sliced. don't ask me how i know.....

CBQ
06-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Would you recommend slightly overcooking the ribs to give people the "Fall off the bone" that they will be expecting?

No.

Overcook them A LOT, not just slightly. You should be able to pull the meat from the bone with no resistance using 2 fingers. If you can pick up the rib bone and pull it out without the meat moving, that's probably still OK.

We did that one year in Troy and over 50% of the people that tried them voted for us. (Of course we didn't realize it's also a volume game. We just cooked the provided case, and got buried by people cooking 8 cases - something else to keep in mind. You can also buy tickets and vote for yourself, or pool the ribs from 5-6 teams together to get the volume up. All of these tricks are why we don't do people's choice much anymore.)

Pole D
06-03-2013, 09:27 PM
You got your answer. I got nothing else to add.

Smokin J's
06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Pull apart, fall off the bone, saucy and sweet!

Skip
06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Don't compete in Peoples Choice to win. You will be disappointed. Do it for whatever fundraiser they are doing it for. If you get something its a bonus.

I'd like to add that a well cooked rib taken just too far will yield the same tenderness as a fall off the bone rib and offer a better eat. Don't purposefully try to crush them or you will :grin:

Oh and don't bother with the foil you will never want to do it again.

BBQchef33
06-04-2013, 01:06 AM
You have to overcook them...dont bother with foiling each one.. just place as many racks in a foil pan that will fit, add some apple juice, foil the pan real tight and back to the cooker until they are falling off the bone.

.. when you slice them, put them back in a pan sliced and pour the sauce over the sauced ribs.. and cover them till your ready to serve.

BevBrother1
06-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Dr. Pepper!!

In all seriousness, overcooking is a must. In addition, stick to flavor profiles that the general public can get ahold of. Common sauces and rubs that you can get in your local supermarket may score better than obscure ingredients ordered from a specialty BBQ site on the Internet.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
06-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Yes and by the way fall off the bone is not over cooked.

Crash
06-05-2013, 04:33 AM
I know this is not an answer to your question, but it might help you a bit. IMO, PC has become 2 things.

1) A popularity Contest
2) An "outlast the other teams" contest.

Are you getting a financial return for each rib you sell, or is there prize money awarded according to place finish? Both of those should have some bearing on a team's desire to compete. Ribs are the most expensive meat for us to PC and for that reason alone we decline the opportunity to PC them. As a matter a fact, even if it's a buck-a-bone return we'd basically be working for free.

Best of luck in your event and to keep it on topic.....over cook them.

buttburnersbbq
06-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I know this is not an answer to your question, but it might help you a bit. IMO, PC has become 2 things.

1) A popularity Contest
2) An "outlast the other teams" contest.

Are you getting a financial return for each rib you sell, or is there prize money awarded according to place finish? Both of those should have some bearing on a team's desire to compete. Ribs are the most expensive meat for us to PC and for that reason alone we decline the opportunity to PC them. As a matter a fact, even if it's a buck-a-bone return we'd basically be working for free.

Best of luck in your event and to keep it on topic.....over cook them.

I agree it is a popularity contest unless it is a blind peoples choice contest. Everytime we do comps with peoples choice . The only ones that win are the guys working the crowd .

Hawg Father of Seoul
06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
I agree it is a popularity contest unless it is a blind peoples choice contest. Everytime we do comps with peoples choice . The only ones that win are the guys working the crowd .

And you are not working the crowd why?

We do well blind and when we serve. We prefer blind because it really is a lot less effort to do.

buttburnersbbq
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
And you are not working the crowd why?

We do well blind and when we serve. We prefer blind because it really is a lot less effort to do.

Most comps we do with peoples choice where we have to serve . It is always the same time as turn in's . So we concentrate on the turn in boxes since we are there to win and collect the prize money .

Hawg Father of Seoul
06-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Most comps we do with peoples choice where we have to serve . It is always the same time as turn in's . So we concentrate on the turn in boxes since we are there to win and collect the prize money .

That is CRAZY!! I get the hate now. It is typically either Friday night or blind in these parts.

TheJackal
06-06-2013, 06:36 AM

We opted out of the last PC because of this as well. Did it last year and felt our scores suffered because of it. I wish comps wouldn't do this.

Lowki
06-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Would you mind elaborating a bit on the "volume game"? This is news for me, we have done a cpl PC's and for whatever reason, this never occurred to me. Should we be cooking amounts above and beyond the turn in criteria of half pans, filled to the rim?

Harmony BBQ
06-06-2013, 01:54 PM
If you want to win you should cook at least 25% more product than what is required. The last people's choice I cooked had 50 judges that bought tickets (@$35 each) to try the ribs. We went through 9 racks of spares and I could have given out more. Of course not all went to the judges but it was a bit of a luxury to have extra. It takes at least 2 people to handle this type of crowd, one working the crowd and another cutting the ribs. Keep a bottle of your sauce handy for people to taste without a rib or put extra on the rib, samples of the rub you use (we put them in plastic shot glasses), a pile of napkins to give out and if you really want to impress them, offer some bottled water to the judges (especially if it is a hot day). Wet naps are also very popular. Tell people how you cook your ribs, how long they are on the smoker, what kind of wood you use, etc. They really like that. Make sure you have rubber gloves on and a clean shirt! Little things can swing votes your way.

Wampus
06-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Would you mind elaborating a bit on the "volume game"? This is news for me, we have done a cpl PC's and for whatever reason, this never occurred to me. Should we be cooking amounts above and beyond the turn in criteria of half pans, filled to the rim?

I think what is meant is that many times a PC contest is judged based solely on how many tickets you get or how many ribs you sell to the public. The public will get so many tickets for so much $ and then they "buy" product with those tickets, so the team that has the most tickets (read: sells the most product) at the end of the day wins.

We don't usually do PC because it's a big hassle and there's just too many people hanging around (especially if it's any time near turn ins). We're only a 2 person team and so we don't have any extra hands to handle the PC. Next weekend, we're doing one that is a blind PC, meaning we cook ahead of time and turn in all the ribs and they just get judged blind by the public from one location. This one's for a good cause so we don't mind helping and don't care if we win or not.

Wampus
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM
If you want to win you should cook at least 25% more product than what is required. The last people's choice I cooked had 50 judges that bought tickets (@$35 each) to try the ribs. We went through 9 racks of spares and I could have given out more. Of course not all went to the judges but it was a bit of a luxury to have extra. It takes at least 2 people to handle this type of crowd, one working the crowd and another cutting the ribs. Keep a bottle of your sauce handy for people to taste without a rib or put extra on the rib, samples of the rub you use (we put them in plastic shot glasses), a pile of napkins to give out and if you really want to impress them, offer some bottled water to the judges (especially if it is a hot day). Wet naps are also very popular. Tell people how you cook your ribs, how long they are on the smoker, what kind of wood you use, etc. They really like that. Make sure you have rubber gloves on and a clean shirt! Little things can swing votes your way.

OR....what he said.....:becky:

Crash
06-07-2013, 02:36 AM

That is a huge question that only each individual team can decide upon. When all of the other teams are out of PC meat and you still have hundreds of samples, it can be financially rewarding. If it rains and the estimated crowd is 30% of what was expected, well therein lies the problem.

Cooking a lot of PC has helped us and hurt us on just about a 50/50 margin.

Chipper
06-07-2013, 05:36 AM
Another thought that worked for us the one time we did well with PC ribs. We made them very spicy. I layered cayenne on the rub then finished with a chipotle/habanero BBQ sauce. There seems to always be a bunch of "chile heads" in a large crowd and once word spreads, they find you and will give you the votes.

DriverWild
06-07-2013, 08:43 AM
No.
You can also buy tickets and vote for yourself, or pool the ribs from 5-6 teams together to get the volume up. All of these tricks are why we don't do people's choice much anymore.)

This is why I won't do People's Choice anymore either. Sometimes the results are bought. In a contest I did last year I looked at the buckets where "The People" turned in tickets and found my bucket had far more tickets than any other. But, that didn't stop a couple teams from stuffing their bucket right at the end to take home the awards.

Good luck with your contest, I hope you don't run into these scenarios.