PDA

View Full Version : Bad Brisket Experience @ Spring Creek

GMDGeek
06-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Most that know me know I don't usually go to places like Spring Creek BBQ or Dickeys as I usually get upset with bad BBQ and sloppy techniques. Today though, after 10 hours of car shopping for my wife my buddy and I stopped off at a Spring Creek BBQ for a late lunch. I got the Brisket and Sausage combo plate. I stood there and watched this kid move a flat that was sitting on the cutting board to reveal some already sliced brisket. I could clearly see no juice and that it was DRY! He went to put it on my plate and I stated "That's not going on my plate it is!?" He said yes and I said no. I want it cut fresh then he started to argue that it was just as good and wouldn't do it. Had to get the manager over to get the meat cut.

Sorry for the vent! I just wonder if at some point these fast food BBQ joints are going to get their butt handed to them and have them put in place.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
06-02-2013, 07:21 AM
My experience at Spring Creek is that the freshly sliced brisket tasted dry too.

Wonder why the server would have even cared? The next person would have been served those slices anyway.

Johnny_Crunch
06-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Spring Creek is a joke. Even their sides are nasty. Not sure how these places stay in business.

Pitmaster T
06-02-2013, 07:48 AM
My review of Spring Creak when it opened in my town. Of course some people got all pissy because as I was looking for pictures to use I saw a picture of a hot girl and started bs ing about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99070&highlight=spring+creek

jmoney7269
06-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Chappell hill bakery trumps all of them shotty Houston BBQ joints if your ever in the area. They will make you whatever you want. I always get the sliced brisket with sliced jalapeņo sausage, pickles, onions and coleslaw. One heck of a sandwich. Their meat is always tender and juicy. Sorry bout your bad experience

dwfisk
06-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately that's been my experience with pretty much all "chain" BBQ restaurants. I still enjoy searching out one-off joints & roadside trailers and get some pretty good Q but it is really a rare when a chain produces something I'll pay for & eat.

tjv
06-02-2013, 09:33 AM
at the bbq chains around dallas, I stick with the poultry, half chicken or turkey. like you, always ask for fresh cut too.

can't say much for dickies Q, but they have a purdy good selection for sides....how bad would it be for a bbq joint to offer a veggie plate.......lol

t

Ricejacket
06-02-2013, 09:53 AM
If you're in Cypress, go to Brooks' Place. It's in a trailer in an ACE parking lot but was just rated one of the top 50 in Texas by Texas Monthly. Very good brisket.

rick51
06-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Dickey's in Farmers Branch, TX was excellent IMO. Up here in Greenville, NC... let's just say they need somebody from TX to show them how.

I'll be fair. This is eastern NC, and pork is king, brisket is a novelty item. Getting brisket here is like ordering lobster in Kansas City.

Brian in Maine
06-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Dickey's lasted about 6 months up here in Maine. And these are people who for the most part don't know what good BBQ is.

Pitmaster T
06-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I, for one, was Impressed with Chappel Hill Bakery.... I got slice of the point before I left jmoney and it had be thinkin all day about salt. I could not decide whether I liked it or loved it. Thats not a bad thing either. IT had me thinkin.

Bludawg
06-02-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't eat BBQ OUT at the Mac BBQ places!!!! I'm a WhatABuger Freek they never disappoint me; I'll have a #2 with extra grilled onions & jalapenos please.

GMDGeek
06-03-2013, 12:10 AM
When it comes to these large BBQ chains like Dickies, Spring Creek, and even getting to be Soul Man's in the Dallas area I am at a point where a $1 menu item from Mcdonald's is more appealing.

They prey on those that don't know real BBQ and take some many short cuts. What's sad is if they took a couple more minutes to go the extra mile, to trim the meat right, cut it fresh, and all that they just might be tolerable and able to sell something worth coming back for.

I am emailing Texas Monthly to suggest a story be run on this subject to see what they'll do. Just get it a little more out there.